GPS Wiring Question

lofsfire

So my wife and sister bought me a GPS for my birthday the other day. And for course I want to set it up for my sled. I do not have electric start, so no battery on my sled. I seem to remember on and old thread that you will need to wire a rectifier in before the wire that will go to the GPS.

Just wanted to confirm that was correct and see if you recommend one rectifier over anther.

Spec Below:
Sled
2000 MXZ 700

Garmin Nuvi 255W (Yes, I know its not an outdoor one. But one of my friends bought a 205 last year and we put it in his tank map bag and it worked perfect!) Think I'm going to get the handle bar map bag. At least that the plan.

Thanks for the help.

The MXZ definitely uses AC for power so a rectifier is a must. What I would remember is that when you turn off the sled, the power goes so you may want to have a small battery that you charge just in case. This is the one I built and hooked up on my 99 MXZ but I am sure you can buy one real cheap.
http://www.numbskull.com/snowmo/gps/schematic.asp
Good Luck.

booondocker

Here's another idea.

Rather than fool with all that, get on the web, buy a good but small in size battery that you can mount just under the hood. Use the whole deal all weekend long and then recharge the battery when you get home in or outside the sled.

Those units do not draw much battery power and a good $15 battery would last years powering the unit up to 4 or 5 days at a time.

Then you don't need wiring and rectifiers, or other things that might not be fun to install, or trouble shoot when it goes bad.

vx700xtc

Not sure how much power they use with the backlight on high ( A must for cold temp operation).
I wired mine in, and it is great.

cholber1

Go to either ebay or hardcoresledder.com and look up a user by the name of nextel9 he makes rectifier's I bought one for my sled and it works great he makes them real nice and cheap to. he also takes paypal. this is the easiest way to hook up your gps one end goes into a accessory plug and the other end to gps you cant beat it. check it out He is located in michigan also.

Chris

cholber1

I tried the link it works if you are signed in. You will have to sign in there to see his profile and send a message.

fishcrib

I ran mine parallel with my heat shield wires.
Actually installed a cigarette lighter plug on the snowmobile and I just plug the GPS in and remove it when I am not riding. Works great.