Grand Island ice caves

ragex2

Has anyone been out to Grand island by munising? Gonna pass thru and never been out there....where is the trail to get out there??

snobuilder

We rode out there a few years back while staying at White Pine in Christmas.
Just followed the tracks from shore....It was pretty well packed down all over that year.....I would never be the first guy each season to try it, but someone has to be that guy....LOL

kevinj

I would contact Trevor at the facebook page UP North Adventures. I hired him as a guide last year and we rode all around Grande Island (on the island, not the ice). The days leading up to us being out there early Feb last year 4 sleds were sunk. We crossed from the ferry landing.

buddah2

Be very careful...there was a local warning published just yesterday (Sun.) about thin ice to the east side of Grand Island...I don't know from personal experience....I don't do lakes....ice is for cocktails... ;)

we just came back from the AmSnow ride this past weekend in Munising. From pictured rocks, on the more eastern side of the island you can see open water. The lady at the desk told us if there is open water, do not go out to the island. The shortest path is from the point to the east of Foggies Resturant, in Christmas if I recall correctly. From this point, it is very deep with fast currents.

buddah2

... The shortest path is from the point to the east of Foggy's Restaurant, in Christmas if I recall correctly. .

You really have to know what you're doing from there....there's a whirlpool off of the campground that almost never freezes completely over and locals know to avoid it....the most direct route is from the summer boat launch just to the west of the Holiday Inn Express a bit...

snobuilder

You really have to know what you're doing from there....there's a whirlpool off of the campground that almost never freezes completely over and locals know to avoid it....the most direct route is from the summer boat launch just to the west of the Holiday Inn Express a bit...
Lake Superior whirlpool...please aviod....LOL...I will for sure.