Greenland, MI area grooming challenges......

groomerdriver

Kudo's to all that helped!!!!

From Facebook:

02-24-2016 Why is it that things happen in “3’s.” Had to remove track to remove a tire that tore to shreds. Taking the tracks apart is not a quick job nor is it an easy job. Then an 80 mile round trip to get new tire (oh yea, and a ton of snow had to be shoveled off trailer as needed trailer to haul tire), returned with new tire, & after mounting tire then had to put the track back together. This total process took little over 9 hours and was accomplished with the labor of 5 of our groomer operators (more volunteer time and away from their regular jobs). Sent this groomer & drag out approx. 9:30PM to begin grooming route and 14 miles out, the walking beam broke and much of the attachments broke apart and laying out there in pieces. This groomer had just been returned to us from a major repair job and it appears that the piece of steel used in the repair was a reject. Sooo, yesterday we needed to get out there and pick up those parts and the tracks themselves weigh little over 3,000 lbs. This meant we needed to get a lot of man power to lift them onto the drag of our other groomer to be pulled to our groomer barn. Total men involved were 18. We got as many of our groomer operators together again as we could find available-and enlisted 12 snowmobilers from our cabins to help. (Couldn’t have done it without their man power-thanks guys) Now we need to have everything hauled back to WI for repair again. Meanwhile, a groomer from the Greenland Groomer Barn had a tire go flat on the trail so another group, from Greenland area, went out the next day to do same procedure. Tire had to be ordered, should be in today-then another 80 mile round trip to pick it up and then install it and put that track back together. Hopefully, this is enough trials and tribulations for a while. I guess I’m telling our woes because grooming the trails is not the only thing that goes on with grooming and equipment maintenance. A lot of repair & maintenance expense is involved, also.
Hopefully all of this will help you understand why we praise our groomer operators so highly for their dedication as volunteers. Many Many Hours are involved. Many of them have regular jobs and groom at night. Just can’t tell them enough Thank You

11947600_10154506164537656_5259077034936728920_n.jpg 1011938_10154506164072656_8874623964021819843_n.jpg 12744417_10154506162652656_3998332907225700798_n.jpg

snox31

Wow that sucks ,but a big thank you to all involved to get that fixed up and keeping the trails nice

POLARISDAN

thats crazy..wish i was up there to help..the greenland groomers are the basis for my year..had no idea that that machine had those moving parts

frnash

Gee whiz, that looks like the Yooper version of Gold Rush: Heavy equipment, something always breaking, need D10 Cat + front loaders + sledge hammers + several people to remove & replace parts, 80 mile drive to fetch not-cheap replacements, rinse & repeat. Minor difference: no $3.3 million in gold to take to the bank at the end of the season!

Thanks for the "Yooper Gold Rush" episode showing what it takes to keep those trails groomed.

And thanks to the groomers & other volunteers for getting involved!

dwz

Thanks for all your work so we are able to ride groomed trails! The Mayor of Greenland!

snobuilder

Thanks for posting this GD....it really puts things in perspective for us take the trails for granted weekend riders.

buddah2

I'll try again......so now you're giving me grief for posting this? Like I'm trying to prove a point about grooming and whatever?

Reading comprehension not a strong suit, huh? ;) Add some pseudo punctuation and you get:"it really puts things in perspective for us take-the-trails-for-granted-weekend-riders". He was thanking you in a round about fashion........

Oh yeah, and when you mentioned the tracks weighing 3,000 lbs I thought "ANFW"......but then looking at all that metal on them........

Last edited:

groomerdriver

yea..this is what i meant..not sure why ur so touchy gd..he was obviously posting a thanks for posting comment

So PD and snobuilder are one in the same? Who woulda guessed?

- - - Updated - - -

Reading comprehension not a strong suit, huh? ;) Add some pseudo punctuation and you get:"it really puts things in perspective for us take-the-trails-for-granted-weekend-riders". He was thanking you in a round about fashion........

Oh yeah, and when you mentioned the tracks weighing 3,000 lbs I thought "ANFW"......but then looking at all that metal on them........

The way snobuilder is when does one really belie or fully understand what he is saying?

And BTW...I cut and pasted this all from FaceBook. I had no part in it.

I only posted it because many posters here ride the area and I've read comments somewhere that they have had groomer down.

Sorry for trying to keep everybody informed.

POLARISDAN

no..it was a great post..most of us have no idea the working mechanisms to these machines..i for one am just wondering why ur so mad at a few people out here is all..

longtrack

That Sure Track looks about 10 years old and probably wore out. I hope everyone that complains about spending $45 on a Trail Sticker

takes a look at how long a $150,000+ Groomer lasts before its shot.

snobuilder

.I always figured a shared lease with an area farm might be a win win....or a straight up 4 month lease...or lease to the farm from the club, or vice-versa.....either way the tractor would get used/paid for, year round.
Although that particular tractor is set up as a dedicated machine...in other areas that don't require tracks, it would be more doable.

Last edited:

snobuilder

I hope they were they able to use the 3 point and blade hydos with some cribbing to raise the tractor enough to fix right there?

groomerdriver

.I always figured a shared lease with an area farm might be a win win....or a straight up 4 month lease...or lease to the farm from the club, or vice-versa.....either way the tractor would get used/paid for, year round.
Although that particular tractor is set up as a dedicated machine...in other areas that don't require tracks, it would be more doable.

I have been in clubs that rent out the tractor during the summer months. This particular tractor is a dedicated snow unit and is a New Holland tractor with a Sur-Trac conversion ( http://www.ebertwelding.com/#!groomer/cb30) that's done in Canada. There's a similar setup made by Gilbert (http://www.gilbert-tech.com/en/tout-terrain/equipments-off-road/rts-series-snow-groomers/) who is also in Canada.

Soucy tracks, another Canadian company (http://www.soucy-track.com/en-CA/home) is another track system that had gained tremendous popularity over the past several years. These track systems can be removed at the end of the grooming season and wheels put back on if the club so chooses.

snobuilder

Looks like the pivot point(?) on the side frame snapped...if that IS a pivot, I assume it gets alot of grease?...or ?

POLARISDAN

That Sure Track looks about 10 years old and probably wore out. I hope everyone that complains about spending $45 on a Trail Sticker

takes a look at how long a $150,000+ Groomer lasts before its shot.

yea ageed..i believe trail passes should be 100-200$..whats a one day ski ticket nowadays?