Groomer Driver Dead after Collision with Snowmobile by Sault Ste. Marie

old abe

Very, very sad to hear this. May the driver lost rest in peace. Peace be to those who morn him.

D

Deleted member 10829

That is very sad! I'd like to get more details and you wonder how this can even happen?

mezz

Truly sad. Speculation as to how something like this could happen, perhaps on-coming sled went air born & struck cab & caught fire? I expect we will hear more later, nonetheless, condolences to all affected by this tragedy.-Mezz

xcr440

With all the lights on the groomers these days, I don't see how it could happen either, even during the day, without making unfounded speculations.

homan

I think that the cross country ski trail crosses the snowmobile trail which is a long straight stretch. Sleds usually run it at high speed. The "groomer" was an ATV with tracks. I assume that the groomer may not have stopped and looked before crossing the snowmobile trail and the sled hit groomer from the side.

snowdance

I think that the cross country ski trail crosses the snowmobile trail which is a long straight stretch. Sleds usually run it at high speed. The "groomer" was an ATV with tracks. I assume that the groomer may not have stopped and looked before crossing the snowmobile trail and the sled hit groomer from the side.

This would make much more sense. I think everyone including myself was thinking a snowmobile trail groomer...

timo

If I recall someone on this board ran into a groomer around a corner I think.
Hard to believe but it happens.
Condolences to his family.

With all the lights on the groomers these days, I don't see how it could happen either, even during the day, without making unfounded speculations.

DamageInc

If I recall someone on this board ran into a groomer around a corner I think.
Hard to believe but it happens.
Condolences to his family.

Our local groomer has been hit a couple of times. People ride too fast, and come over a hill or around a corner, boom.

There was one in WI last year where a rider tried to swerve around the groomer, fell off, and was ran over and killed by the groomer.

02Bracing

It was a John Deere Gator with tracks. He was grooming the ski trail where it crosses the grade just west of town. The groomer operator was from Paradise and the snowmobiler was from Ada.

Last edited:

snobuilder

It was a John Deere Gator with tracks. He was grooming the ski trail where it crosses the grade just east of town. The groomer operator was from Paradise and the snowmobiler was from Ada.

You are a much more fact filled reporter than the locals have... like a previous post said, most everyone on here was thinking sled trail groomer.