Groomer tracker app

uncle_ed

I have been kicking around a saddlebag trip across the u.p. for a few years now and I am making plans for this to finally happen next year so I have been checking a few things out and this groomer tracker app seems like a great idea to see where and when the trails are groomed. One thing I have noticed after downloading the app is only a few clubs use them so my question is: does this thing even work and is it a worth while tool to have and is it functional and accurate?

whitedust

I know in WI all groomers are on the Auto GPS system and that’s how they get paid. However each club wants a subscription to their club for on the clock grooming. I glance at free apps to see if groomed in last 24, 48 or greater hours. UPMI I’m not sure how their system works.

uncle_ed

I downloaded the groomer tracker app and it does show it is being used in the western u.p. that is why I asked about it here on Johndee. I know alot of the faithful ride that area and was just curious if anybody had feedback on wether it works and is it handy. I could see how it would be a good tool to not only see where the trails are fresh but as whitedust stated you could use it as means of tracking and paying for milage owed to the club and everything is transparent then as well.

goofy600

I can tell you it works for the most part. My club used it and it is accurate for the most part. Problem is not all clubs have it and that is where it will not help for what your hoping. I know everyone wants to complain about it cost but for $10 per area $5 goes to the club so think of it as a donation for knowing when a club is grooming.

uncle_ed

I cant understand why a club wouldnt want it in their cab if it generates revenue for the club and serves a valuable purpose as well. Is it accurate enough to tell exactly where the groomer is located? That alone as a safety feature would be worth it!

eyeman

I can tell you it works for the most part. My club used it and it is accurate for the most part. Problem is not all clubs have it and that is where it will not help for what your hoping. I know everyone wants to complain about it cost but for $10 per area $5 goes to the club so think of it as a donation for knowing when a club is grooming.
What does "for the most part" mean? As whitedust stated, the WI tracker gives a delayed report. Does the UP system give real-time? Will MI adopt the GPS compensation program that WI uses?

goofy600

Uncle Ed, I agree with your statement about why wouldn’t all clubs want it especially because it is free to the club to get it. It’s great for the trail boss to know where groomer is and when they get back and yes for safety. It is tracked every 15 minutes and is gps so it is accurate just on a 15 minute interval. This was our clubs (UP thunder riders) first year as for trail boss he liked it as for stated above and we are still waiting to see we will rectified income from it.

goofy600

What does "for the most part" mean? As whitedust stated, the WI tracker gives a delayed report. Does the UP system give real-time? Will MI adopt the GPS compensation program that WI uses?
I don’t know if was me using it but once in a while it didn’t work when I checked it but that wasn’t often. The groomer tracker app is a private run app nothing to do with any government or state, it does run in real time refreshing every 15 minutes so depending when you check it you will be within 15 minutes of its location. I also haven’t heard of mi dnr doing anything like that but only really getting into all the inner workings of what happens between club and dnr.

goofy600

Another thing GroomerTracker app does which would be good for all clubs and people riding is it gives you them most accurate trail route better than a map or gps app like ride command if the trail gets changed at all. Even the groomer tracker app trails are not correct but the groomer goes where the actual trail is.

D

Deleted member 10829

We've been using it for 3 years now and I find it very accurate. I am the groomer boss of our club and I love it! I can watch where they are at and make sure they get home safely each night. Each groomer driver can get it for free and their wives like being able to see where they are at and safe (and not parked at the girlfriend's house) :). The new WI GPS system is good too, but it does have a 3-5 hour delay. I am our administrator, so I can get access to see that in real time also.

renegade

Seems a little spendy to me. I think it could be a great tool for many reasons. I also think it will cause more complaining cause that's what snowmobilers seem to do, especially about grooming. Just complaining beforehand. I did download the app, $10 a club if I remember right. I ride to many different areas each year would be well over $100. I'd be in a $3 a club or $50 a year, but not $10. It's just not that important for me to know. Not a ton of clubs on there right now, either.

eyeman

It sounds like a tool that will eventually enhance the sport safety and trail condition understanding/rideability. Get all clubs on board and using the real-time function. That'll take a number of years but will happen. The only additional information that will help us all, would be a factual traffic report. GPS transmitter/receiver systems on all rides. That'll be out a decade or two. I can see it; no more trail signs, the sleds will know corners, speed limits, stops, deer and even get you to the tavern. - It'll be called a Tesla, Trail- safe. Watch out for Big Brother!!!

uncle_ed

It seems like a good idea but could be a little expensive as you travel across the state and different clubs. It would be nice if it was incorporated into apps like ride command or brp go and then used across the board by every club, then maybe the price would come down. Right now my trips to the u.p. have me crossing through 3 clubs sometimes 4 so that is not too expensive but would be nice if it wasnt a club thing and was a flat rate for all area usage.

whitedust

It seems like a good idea but could be a little expensive as you travel across the state and different clubs. It would be nice if it was incorporated into apps like ride command or brp go and then used across the board by every club, then maybe the price would come down. Right now my trips to the u.p. have me crossing through 3 clubs sometimes 4 so that is not too expensive but would be nice if it wasnt a club thing and was a flat rate for all area usage.
I agree with what you are saying but currently clubs use the app as a fund raiser. Until that changes no blanket coverage or price. As I said I glance at free apps check for 24 or 48 hour grooming and go on my way. Heavy traffic can trash a fresh groom within an hour so imo very little benefit anyway.

uncle_ed

On saddlebag trip doesnt really matter. You leave in mourning headed for next destination, regardless of trail conditions.
Your right. Most of the times you dont have options of a different route but when you do it could be a handy tool if it is close to real time. On a short bag trip this season I used ride command and the user submitted reports helped out more than once. Im just getting too old and out of shape I guess so any tool I can add to the arsenal to help me out im all for!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 8

uncle_ed

Uncle Ed, I agree with your statement about why wouldn’t all clubs want it especially because it is free to the club to get it. It’s great for the trail boss to know where groomer is and when they get back and yes for safety. It is tracked every 15 minutes and is gps so it is accurate just on a 15 minute interval. This was our clubs (UP thunder riders) first year as for trail boss he liked it as for stated above and we are still waiting to see we will rectified income from it.
I hope everything "pans out" for your club in this regard and will probably be the main reason for trying it out at this point since half the cost is going to the clubs. I think there is alot of opportunity with the app and many benefits to it being in place so I would hope to hear more about it and see it develope into a useful tool in the future.