Guage for snowmobile heated seat (question)

jjj70095

Attached is a guage my mechanic installed on my skidoo 12 years ago for a heater we put under my seat. The guage has 3 settings. I know for a fact the top setting is max heat. I always thought the middle switch was for "off", and the lower switch being "low heat". In my garage now, I noticed the middle switch setting has a light red light on it at all times.

The battery is fine. I turned the switch down , and the red light goes off (as if that is the off position and middle position is low heat). I also sometimes see a green light for the down switch setting. I dont use the heater at all and can not feel any heat in the seat at all. Any ideas? If you notice the low heat is at bottom on the guage and high heat is at top (like I have always thought).

Attachments

• guage.JPG
    guage.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 12

jjj70095

I just checked it again in garage, if i move switch all the way down, no light at all . If I move it to middle position, light red light, if I move it all the way up, bright red light.....Maybe I am wrong in thinking the middle switch is "off".

jjj70095

Sometime there will be light on for all 3 positions. Sometimes no lights at all. I think the middle position is "off". Push up for high.
Push it down for low, This is like a boat switch, like high fan, up, middle is off, low fan is down. That is what I orignally thought the settings were and it corresponds to the settings on the black switch that they painted on the switch.

I assume my switch is just like this switch

Last edited:

hybrid

should be pretty easy to put a ohm meter on it and see what is what if u can get at the wires
i agree with what u think
the middle position should be off if u go by the labeling
the switch or wiring is probably bad if it is not lighting up the same way every time
i would disconnect the switch and test with ohm meter
then u know how it works and if its good
hope this helps

Last edited:

jjj70095

It seems to be working normal again. Middle position is off and no light. Upper position is high heat (red). Lower position is low heat (green).
How does one disconnect this switch? I dont use the heater at all. Can one just snip the wires that go to the switch?

mezz

It seems to be working normal again. Middle position is off and no light. Upper position is high heat (red). Lower position is low heat (green).
How does one disconnect this switch? I dont use the heater at all. Can one just snip the wires that go to the switch?
If your not using it, I would just leave it alone, I wouldn't snip the wires, thats just a problem waiting to happen. Just my .02

hybrid

sounds like this is a add on not factory installed seat heater possibly aftermarket ?
i would remove all of it since it dose not work and u have no interest in fixing it
might cause problems down the trail imo

jjj70095

It is an added on heating pad put under seat with a control switch. Used to work fine in early years, but have not used in much in past 5 years.