Gun Safe storage ?

mjkaliszak

I have 2 safes that I picked up used. There was some rust on the bottom so I .... scrapped, ssanded, glass beaded , and then painted w/ rustoleum. I plan on keeping these in my " living room " LOL ... No just kidding, down in my utility room in the basement. Was wondering what others have kept theirs on ( just cement floor, or carpet, or a piece of wood ) ?
Looking to prevent the surface rust , plan on ( already do ) running a dehumidified, and having these lag bolted down. Since cement is a moisture magnet... i was looking for what others have done. I'm thinking .... it is dry down there already, but would the carpet or a sheet of wood, or even a sheet of fiberglass insulator board be beneficial to prevent the moisture transfer during the seasonal changes ?

Any input is welcome.

And no , I'm not a doomsday prepper !

scott_b

My dad set a couple of bricks to get it a few extra inches off the floor in case there is ever standing water and then bought some 12 x 12 plastic floor tiles from Menards. Figured that would not react with the metal the way treated wood would and the plastic flooring is designed to drain if anything did get on it. He secured the safes to the wall with anchors and threaded rod keeping it spaced an inch or so away from the wall with nuts and washers between the safe and concrete.

booondocker

Because the basement is more prone to moisture, I would make sure that you get it up high enough that a small basement flood would not cause concern of getting into the unit.

Also use that decadent stuff to absorb moisture to keep the guns free of moisture in the air.

Because the basement is more prone to moisture, I would make sure that you get it up high enough that a small basement flood would not cause concern of getting into the unit.

Also use that decadent stuff to absorb moisture to keep the guns free of moisture in the air.

Very good suggestion above ↑. Also if you are not already running a dehumidifier in your basement you could start. It may add a llitlle ching to the power bill but those guns are family heirlooms, vintage finds, hunting partners and most importantly investments, so run the dehumidifier. You can put it on a timer to run in your down cycle or run for an hour every few hours or whatever you want it doesn't have to run constantly unless your basement is super muggy then you may have to.

Also you can build a "nest" with casters for the safe to set in so if anything unforeseen were to occur, the safe (heavy) can be rolled quickly out of the way or at least to some drier area of the basement that you can then move the firearms out of the safe without having to splash around in water (or whatever the case be??) carrying the guns and accessories.

Good luck! Though it sounds like you're already on your way to some good, strong preventative measures.

ripcord

The only thing is, rather than DECADENT - (dec·a·dent (dk-dnt, d-kdnt)
adj.
1. Being in a state of decline or decay.
2. Marked by or providing unrestrained gratification; self-indulgent.
3. often Decadent Of or relating to literary Decadence.
n.
1. A person in a condition or process of mental or moral decay.
2. often Decadent A member of the Decadence movement.
...you may want to use DESICCANT (— n
2. a substance, such as calcium oxide or silica gel, that absorbs water and is used to remove moisture; a drying agent

Thanks, ripcord for correcting boondocker's misspelling but..........we already have "one of those" here on this board.

His name is FRNASH!

HAHAHAHAHA

frnash

Thanks, ripcord for correcting boondocker's misspelling but..........we already have "one of those" here on this board.

His name is FRNASH!

HAHAHAHAHA ...
Nice to see someone else carrying the ball once in a while!

Disappearing%20Cheshire%20cat.gif

ripcord

I just thought it was funny that someone would suggest using a decadent to prevent moisture which would cause rust - a sort of decay.
And it was more than just a misspelling - it was a totally inappropriate term. Thought maybe FRNASH was napping.

I wonder though... if you would eat a desiccant, would that put you in a state of decadence? :confused: :rolleyes:

mjkaliszak

I just thought you guy's meant " I was in a state of moral / mental decay " along with unrestrained gradification ....Which may be true.
Currently I have one 32qt Honeywell dehumidifier running in the mechanical room w/ the door open to the finished part of the basement. Then I also have one of those plug in rechargable desiccant units that change color w/ moisture content in the weapon safe.

The dehumidifier really pulls some moisture out. Must fill the container 1.5 gal -2.0 gal per day.

Nice to see someone else carrying the ball once in a while!

Disappearing%20Cheshire%20cat.gif

I just thought it was funny that someone would suggest using a decadent to prevent moisture which would cause rust - a sort of decay.
And it was more than just a misspelling - it was a totally inappropriate term. Thought maybe FRNASH was napping.

I wonder though... if you would eat a desiccant, would that put you in a state of decadence? :confused: :rolleyes:

HAHA, either way thats funny!

booondocker

See what happens when your in a hurry? Brain says one thing and fingers tipe another!

Find the incorrectly used terms and spelling errors above and win a prize...

Just post how many you see and lets have fun with it, ...Okay? Nash...go water your lawn!

frnash

Hey y'all, I see ya missed these two!
… I just thought you guy's meant …" I was in a state of moral / mental decay " along with unrestrained gradification … "

… Then I also have one of those plug in rechargable desiccant units …
Ya see what happens when I'm "off duty"? :p

See what happens when your in a hurry? Brain says one thing and fingers tipe another!

Find the incorrectly used terms and spelling errors above and win a prize...

Just post how many you see and lets have fun with it, ...Okay? Nash...go water your lawn!
Hey booner, I'm not playin' that, but I should do some weed whacking before the jack booted city weed police come by with 'there' [sic] micrometers and have a hissy fit on finding a weed or three a few microns taller than spec! BTW: I get in a helluva lot o' trouble here if/when I fail to proofread everything my fumble fingers have 'writ'!

Some days I am sorely tempted to snip all the glitches I see here and posting 'em in a single message each day — just the daily collection of snippets of bare text, without attribution) you have no idea how large a list that would be.

Back in the day when there actually were job openings, and the job adverts typically said "good verbal and written communications skills required", you have no idea what atrocious writing I have seen in résumés! That was a sure way to get your résumé tossed in the trash bin! In that case and elsewhere it comes down to a professional appearance and credibility.

Don't y'all feel alone, you should see the abuse of the English language I see in the media each day, written by 'professional' writers! In their case, whatever became of proofreading and editors/editing in the public press? Heck an uncle of mine (Al Nakkula) was an award winning crime reporter for the Rocky Mountain News for decades, back in the days of Linotype® machines, and hot lead — and the newspapers did a helluva lot better job of editing and proofreading in those days before computers! Maybe they're getting careless and just plain ol' lazy with today's 'computerized' grammar and spelling checkers? (Although the computerized grammar checkers still suck!)

Last edited: