Gwinn - Ishpeming - Republic

homan

They were all good a week ago. A little thin on snow South of Gwinn where they have trail plowed for logging for a few miles.
How was it in the Baraga area? Are they grooming now?

dfattack

I mentioned in another thread that they hadn't groomed in a while. However the conditions wouldn't keep me from going through there. We stopped at Hilltop in L'Anse and then doubled back ending up in Florence. Awesome day.

heckler56

I was there late last week. All good but the logging after Gwinn towards 5 seemed to last several miles. We had to wait while a truck loaded up on the trail/road as there was little room to pass. 8 Ishpeming to Marquette got a little choppy while Marquette to Gwinn was good.

Mxzx440

4 days 3 nights out wednesday - saturday Ironwood to Mercer down to Boulder over to Watersmeet then to Ishpeming up to Big Bay then to Baraga and then to Bergland and back to Ironwood all trails good to very good Exept Baraga !!!! Great trip 15 sleds all together :}

dfattack

I didn't head this way today. Went a different way entirely since my two options for food were closed on Mondays.

J.Glenn

Has anyone recently ridden trails 32, 8 or 5 in this area? Looking for conditions. Thanks
Just got back from a trip in that area. Did the loop from Ishpeming to 8 south down to Gwinn to 32 to west to 5 north and then back to Ishpeming. 32 West was not good. I think a couple others mentioned it but there are several long stretches of plowed road for logging. We also passed a logging truck on the trail and there very little room for the truck to go by. All other sections of the loop were good. The route was on 1/21/22 and with the lack of any fresh snow, I doubt conditions have increased.

bayfly

We rode out of Ishpeming yesterday. Trail 8 to Gwinn up to Chatham, 417 into Au Train, and back over to Ishpeming through Marquette. All trails were very good. Rocks here and there but not a surprise since there hasn’t been a lot of fresh snow lately. Lots of traffic on 417 near Lakenland. Great day, about 150 miles.

bayfly

On Saturday we rode from Ishpeming to Big Bay and back through Marquette. Trail 5 to Big Bay was spectacular as always. Met a groomer on our way up. That trail is one of the best in the UP in my opinion. Trail back to Marquette was great as well. I hadn’t ridden that way (Trail 14) for quite a few years and it was much better than I remember. The snow depth varies considerably between Big Bay and Marquette. Trail conditions were all very good to great. About 125 miles for the loop.

MKW

Going to ride from St. Germain to the eastern UP next week hopefully to the bridge. I've never ridden east of Marquette. Just wondering if anybody knows how things are over that way? Also any trail sugestions, places to see, lodging etc. Can you ride to Drummond Island and Mackinac Island?
Any help would be appreciated.

homan

Good snow all the way across to the Eastern end of UP. You might not want to go to Drummond Island as snow cover there is not as good.
They just put the tree line in for ice crossing to Mackinaw Island. Use extreme caution going to the Island as ice can change with little notice.
To get to Drummond Island you have to take the ferry across to it.
The best trail conditions/snow cover are in the Northern 2/3 of the UP. I would suggest staying away from the area straight West of Curtis as the trails are in swamps and a section of it is still not open as far as I know.
Since you have never been East of Marquette the best trails for you to see/ride are to the North all along lake Superior.