Have you heard of the lost "Wall of Silver" mine in the Keweenaw?

jd

Administrator
Staff member
'Bout 1/2 click west of the Montreal Meadows.

All I can say about this.

Just kidding. It's actually just off the rerouted trail just east of Gratiot Lake RD.
No real mine left.
Not lost.
Just empty of all it's sliver.
Bigfoot might still be there though!

matti

Yes, it does sound a lot like Oak Island. In fact, I learned of it last night while watch Beyond Oak Island!

John, thanks a bunch. That would be awesome if Bigfoot was there. Did you see the episode (or maybe episodes?) of Finding Bigfoot filmed in the U.P.? The show is a complete clown show, but I always found it entertaining.

frnash

I checked with one of Pastyland's (https://www.pasty.com/index.html) favorite geologists, Capt. Paul Brandes, about the "Wall of Silver" mine, and here's his reply:
"The wall of silver. I have heard of it, but there is just too much sensationalism these days to make heads or tails of where it is. John Dee appears to claim it is near the old Central Exploration Mine SE of Central proper. I have heard it was closer to Phoenix near the river. Legend has it it’s in a cavern that fills and empties of water from the river and that it can’t be timed to explore. Others claim it is deep in the Keweenaw County woods near nothing, and that it’s a several mile hike just to reach the opening. I’m not sure what to believe in all this so I don’t pay that much attention. There was a spectacular find of native silver in the woods somewhere in Keweenaw County a few years ago that I have seen some incredible specimens come from, but the location is a closely guarded secret."