Headed to Rabbit Bay

GregY

We were looking for somewhere on water to escape the work craziness and the parents of a co-worker offered up their camp at Rabbit Bay. We're headed there in mid-July, so can anyone provide info of what to expect bug-wise, lake temp in Keweenaw Bay, and places to eat?

packerlandrider

This is my fourth summer working outdoors in the U.P. and it has been by far the best (least amount) for bugs. Mainly been working/exploring between Bruce Crossing - Munising and up into the Huron Mountains (very little time north of the bridge), but have yet to have what I would consider "bad bugs." Just today was in some areas where I'd think would be prime for bugs (mosquitoes especially) but didn't even feel the need to dip into the bug spray or dawn the bug net. June is the worst month up here for bugs, so they should only continue to get better.

As for places to eat, my two favorites in the general Keweenaw area are Michigan House in Calumet and Henry's in Rockland.

GregY

Interesting... I heard from the owners (or maybe it was their daughter) that the skeeters have been worse this year due to the rain.

whitedust

Mosquitoes are bad in Vilas but we have had lots of wind to keep them at bay during the day. Evenings are bad you have to spray down or they will drive you nuts. Lots of Dragon flies munching on mosquitoes .... Mayflies have been lite here maybe later hatch. Flies are out but not terrible.

packerlandrider

I must just be getting lucky otherwise, was up at Keystone Bay for a while on Sunday (also a 20 minute stop at a waterfall on the way back) and next to no bugs. Didn't even think about bug spray or net... :afro:

GregY

Interesting few days in the Keweenaw:

Arrived Monday evening and beautiful day on Tuesday - view of Rabbit Island from a kayak and a visitor in the yard. We had a nice lunch at Lindells in Lake Linden.

IMG_0049.jpg IMG_0052.jpg

Wednesday was in the 50s, with 5-6 foot waves, wind gusting near 30 MPH, drizzle / spray hitting the camp, and blowing fog with almost no visibility when we went up to Calumet for lunch and shopping.

IMG_0070.jpg

We actually enjoyed the weather as it reminded me of growing up on Lake Erie and my wife of storms when she lived in Virginia Beach. One of the neighbors left kayaks etc. on the beach. We managed to save the kid toys, SUP, and paddles. We rescued one kayak once it overturned in the surf and dumped all the sand / water. The last we saw the other kayak, it went under one dock and was headed toward another.

Thursday looked to be more of the same, so we reluctantly agreed to leave a day early so we'd have a few days of nice weather to enjoy back home.

GregY

A note on bugs. There were a few skeeters walking up to Hungarian Falls on Tuesday when the temp was about 80. However, there were more skeeters and biting flies around here in southeast Michigan while walking the dog this evening.

frnash

… There were a few skeeters walking up to Hungarian Falls on Tuesday when the temp was about 80. …
That must have been quite the weather that day. I can imagine the TV weather report now …
Karl Bohnak, on WLUC-TV6, Marquette:
"The weather was so bad that day that there were no flights out of CMX; even the mosquitoes were walking!
:devilish: