Heading to Dubois,Wy for the first time.

thobkirk

Myself and 3 other Iowa ditch bangers are heading to Wyoming for the first time. Just looking for some advice from someone who has been there before. Are there any must see areas or is it all good? None of us have mountain sleds so we will be riding on the groomed trails. Also does anyone know how often they groom the trails?

red_dog

Bring lots of cash. Set clutches for 8000-10,000. Bring a spare belt or two for the J trails and stay off the K trail, it's not groomed or marked. A map and a GPS are handy in the mountains. Also try to get your trail stickers somewhere ahead of time. I hear Napa in Dubois and Lava Mtn. Lodge are out. Bring a back support and spare shocks if riding the CD or PB trails. Been here 5 days and they are bad! They forget to groom parts of CD and all of PB. Try to ride up Lava Mountain on a clear day (U Trail) or maybe Divide Overlood (F trail). Oh, and bring lot's of cash. If you ride here once you'll end up coming back every year! You'll see why!

xcsks

trailer up to the Lineshack and park there. Don't think they'll mind if you go in and spend some money after your ride. Ask if you can leave your sleds and trailer up there and just drive up empty each morning, that's what we did.

thobkirk

Thank you all, very good info here. One more question, we were looking at hiring a guide for a day. We found one out of Laramie for $275 per day that told us he could give us a great tour without burying our short track sleds too bad. Does this sound reasonable to you guys?

xcsks

personally I'd say save your money. Ride the trails with your short tracks and jump off and play whenever you want. Maybe you could rent a long track for a day and do a little more exploring. Not going to be able to get too far off trail, guide or not, but will still have a blast.

Just got back from Christmas to New Years at Tog area, snow was great first couple days, but by Sunday, Monday
it was trached. Did have some guys that live out there take us to some honey spot, not for the weak at heart to get there. As far as were to park I would say, go passed Brooks Lake almost to Tog, theres a senic outlook you can pull in on the south side, if you miss it tog is only a couple miles up the road turn around and come back.
Theres some hills to play on right there then there is open meadow all over on that side.
Right there you can hook up with trail CD and head south, the best of everything right there, my opinoin.