Headlite and taillite go out when brake is applied

mebearman

2002 Polaris trail touring 550 fan does anyone have a clue as to what is going on. They are both brite when idling and as soon as you apply the brake they almost go out completely.

Thanks
Harry

mebearman

Lites are good and brite until brake is applied why would it be regulator or stator it sounds more like something grounding out to me.

anonomoose

Likely a grounding issue. Be sure the ground connection is tight and not corrupted.

Then look for a shorting of wiring in the brake light wire.

snoduke88

Sounds like the brake switch. brake and tail light use same ground so I don't think it is ground. I had to replace mine on a 2003 550. I would pull seat and check brake wire for short.

Last edited:

kraven700

2002 Polaris trail touring 550 fan does anyone have a clue as to what is going on. They are both brite when idling and as soon as you apply the brake they almost go out completely.

Thanks
Harry

Headlight or taillight ground wire is broken somewhere or at ends

it's using the brake light circuit as a temp ground, that's why headlights work until you apply brakes

It's not the voltage regulator

mebearman

I think Kraven700 has the answer. I pulled at the wires under the seat and it started to work correctly. Now I just have to figure out how to take the seat off or leave it alone until it happens again. As I recall I think I had this problem before where it would come an go when riding so I think the problem is under the seat.

Thanks