Heated gloves

G

G

I think there was a thread about this once upon a time but I can't find it. I am old now and my hands get cold sometimes. Anybody try any of these new heated gloves yet?

endless winter

I have been using the FXR Recon heated gloves for two seasons. They are very effective at keeping my hands warm on the coldest days. I usually start with them on the highest setting and back them down to the low or middle setting. I have had two issues. On extremely cold days when they need to be operated on the higher settings the batteries are done after three hours. So plan on buying extra batteries, or you can do what I chose to do which is buy a second set so I don't have to change batteries on the trail. The other issue I have experienced is that I had two defective batteries, which FXR remedied immediately. Although it requires a commitment of time call them sit on hold and then return the old battery to them. The point here is if you purchase the Recon glove test them before you put them into service. I would suggest testing on a cold day by fully charging the batteries, placing them out side or put them in your freezer and check them every hour. If you have a bad battery it will show up in the first hour.

whitedust

Lots colder by you in MN but on the subzero days in Vilas and UP I use a pak of hot hands in gloves and works great. I alway carry a few paks in my bag never know when bare hands are needed to wrench are help someone out. Cheap and easy for warm hands in the worst conditions.

G

G

I am a believer in the hot hands products but they are more for wrenching on the side of the trail. I have a larger windshield and I have handguards and that helps a lot but I think when I was younger I froze my hands up a few more times than was good for me and now I can't tolerate as much. I will pull up the FXR site. They generally make pretty good stuff. Thanks endless.

old abe

I believe Cabela's has advertised heated gloves. I know nothing about the heated glove other than it used batteries, no plug in. I have had fantastic results with Cabela's Pinnacle GoreTex gloves for many years. Multiple trips in Canada snowmobiling, and sometimes at -30 to -40 degree temps. Many days never turn the H/B heaters on except at start up. Usually can pick them up for around $60 when on sale. Perhaps whitedust has a backup plan for me with the heat packs as I am getting older also.

Last edited:
empire gloves on e bay

BATTERY HEATED WINTER GLOVES X-LARGE, Blacks and Leather

ive used these
buy xtra batteries

they are tight i buy 1 size larger

ezra

I have 2 or of the fly brand and got a set for the wife. I keep them in the bag and pull them out for the ride home when I am always cold and wet. work great for that . my buds who run snow bikes all day have same ones and bring 1 extra set of batterys to make a whole day . but they need to run them on med or high all day because of the no hand warmers on the bikes thing . on low would run all day

endless winter

With the FXR Recon I have not noticed the heat being concentrated toward the back of the glove. Although that would seem to be the case since the handlebar grip warmers are keeping the palms warm. When I really appreciate these gloves is at the start of a ride when my hands are cold from putting on my helmet, putting on goggles and zipping up my jacket. At temps of -20F my hands are chilled. With the Recons within a few minutes my hands are warm.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Grub-

I am not sure of you liking to the idea of gauntlets, but for those brutal rides in the bitter cold, there is nothing better. I can get by with mechanics gloves and the bar heaters on low (even the crappy Arctic Cat heaters!) and am also quite sensitive to the cold...something about a couple of open heart surgeries and one of the meds I am on, the Dr's say!

-John

G

G

I have used gauntlets on my older sleds. They work. They are especially effective for side winds on railroad grades. However they won't fit over handguards. I am thinking I will chop up a set I have and attach them to the handguards somehow. I just have to do it in such a way so it doesn't look like a five year old did it. Maybe color keyed Velcro. I don't know. I have time to fabricate something. Even if I have to chop up several sets of gauntlets to achieve results it will probably end up working better than the heated gloves. And I won't have to worry about the batteries dying. I think this is the route I will try first. Thanks all.

vmaxal

I added "Cold Guards" gauntlets last season and it helped a lot. I am able to wear thinner gloves so the heated grips are more effective. They do fit behind stock hand guards and are attached with velcro so they can be put on/taken off easily. Was well worth the $50 experiment.

Check out their site for pics on all makes of sleds.

http://www.coldguards.com/index.html

mikes99ss

I have a set of gerbing microfiber heated gloves for my motorcycle and they are the freaking bee's knees. Heat up in a matter of seconds and the entire glove gets warm. Nice set-up

gmonte88

I have a set of Cabelas heated gloves. They work great. Heat front and back all the way out to your fingertips. They use the same Gerbing micro wire. I dont think they make them anymore though...

BobRoss

I got the Powermadd guantlets for my studded tire dirt bike in the winter. Made the difference of "Oh my god my finger tips burn so bad from the cold" To "This isn't so bad, my hands are just chilled now" Thinking of maybe putting them on the sled this year for the cold days.
Capture guards.PNG
These fit over hand guards and provide structure to the gauntlets.

snobuilder

If there are any younger ppl here and you want to know how to stay warm on your sled.....check out what the "old guys" are sportin' on their sleds.....LOL

We use gauntlets which have come a long way from the old "hippo hands" that went to your elbows.
Even saw a pair at the snow show with a window on top so you could see your controls.

A friend of mine was in a pinch quite a few miles from home when it got terribly cold. He stopped at a gas station and found two windshield wiper fluid jugs that he cut in half and with a zip tie around the neck of the jug and handle bar he made wind deflectors that worked surprisingly well.