Heated shield help!

ncmlj

I am getting a damn headache. I have 2011 Polaris shift no electric start. Where do I get the power for helmet shield? I have a white plug and a black plug behind air box both connectors have red/white +? wire, and brown -?wire. Both have power when I start sled. I am reading that it has to be a fused line ( I don't even see a fuse on the sled) or I could mess up ECU. True false or am I reading to much internet Bleep? Thanks for any help!!

soxfan3

Should be an empty 2 prong plug (like a flat 4 trailer plug, but w/ 2 plugs) on firewall somewhere. Mine (06 Fusion) was just right of steering, behind chain case area. Just buy a 2 prong plug at any auto parts store & plug in. Some say you should put an in-line fuse in, I did not & have not had any trouble. I was told without E-start, you don't have the worries about AC/DC currents & there is not as much to worry about.

Or I have sliced into the hand warmer plug on the handle bar, just unplugged & placed the hot wire into socket & plugged back in, and found a place for ground wire. But with this of course, the shield only works when hand warmer was on.

dblshock

need some help on this too please, I'm all wired but can't tell if it's working or not..touching the sheild can't feel heat and so I unpluged and it still does not fog...I don't have an electric tester, is there another simple way?

mngolf4

If you have a voltmeter, you should be able to measure >12v at the RCA jack (outside conductor to inside conductor). Depending on whether the sled is ES or not and where you've tapped in, it could be DC or AC.

soxfan3

Any simple automotive test light should tell you if you have power to & through the cord. Place ground clip on a bolt head or anything, place light tip on male end of cord. Should light up. Now that doesn't say your shield isn't bad, but it will check chord for power. Put your helmet outside in cold for a while, get it nice & cold, then start sled & plug it in, after a few minutes you should be able to feel heat on inside of shield.

If you haven't found it yet, I can take a pic when I'm back in the garage. I've got the same sled. Was able to find a connector at Napa so there's no cutting factory wires.

mgsimon

Not to get in your face.

But if you do any work on snowmobiles you REALLY need a meter that test volts, amps and ohms.

They are less than $10 at Harbor Freight.