Helmet Comms

SledTL

I am looking at getting some helmet comms for the wife and myself. I don't want to spend $1000, but I also don't want terribly junky ones that are going to have to be replaced a year later. Looking for mid level brands, and experiences from use. Will the battery be able to last a day outside in MN cold? Is talking clear when riding? We will be two-up on my sled, so needing large range distance between helmets isn't a necessity. Any insights from real world snowmobile use would be great to hear!

lofsfire

So far I've been very happy with my Uclear Infinity Motion. The unit is very small mics hide in the helmet (no boom to deal with). I had Collet before it worked but was the technology of its time and is now dated. With that said someone that wants a cheap entry-level system the Collets could be useful. When I had my kids in their snowcoach it was great for talking to them they were only a few feet behind me so range was never an issue. They would work for 2up riding as well. The Uclear Infinity Motion is clear for standard rider spacing. My son and I tested out the distance. What we found was at the point we lost connection we were so far apart we would never ride with this much spacing. If you are in a big group the total distance gets increased because each unit acts as a repeater (technically a mesh network. Oh, and the units auto-reconnect if they lose range. Some brands require a button press. You should be able to find a sale before Christmas.

wiscrev

I have Cardo in my motorcycle helmet and love it. Easy to use, clear, and will match up with other mfgs should you decide to ride with others.

snoden

Been using Cardo Packtalk bold units for the last 5 years. Battery life per day is really good but if you play music like I do you will need to charge the unit during your ride. Now for your situation just about any comm will work for you, Sena, U clear and Cardo and will work well. For a bigger group like mine dynamic meshing was the only way to go and back then Cardo was the only brand that had it.

dfattack

So far I've been very happy with my Uclear Infinity Motion. The unit is very small mics hide in the helmet (no boom to deal with). I had Collet before it worked but was the technology of its time and is now dated. With that said someone that wants a cheap entry-level system the Collets could be useful. When I had my kids in their snowcoach it was great for talking to them they were only a few feet behind me so range was never an issue. They would work for 2up riding as well. The Uclear Infinity Motion is clear for standard rider spacing. My son and I tested out the distance. What we found was at the point we lost connection we were so far apart we would never ride with this much spacing. If you are in a big group the total distance gets increased because each unit acts as a repeater (technically a mesh network. Oh, and the units auto-reconnect if they lose range. Some brands require a button press. You should be able to find a sale before Christmas.
I will agree with everything you said. Me and my son use uclear. At times the reconnection didn’t happen after getting space between us but we know what button to push to force it to happen. We did turn off the function where music dims down while talking. Engine noise was dimming music sometimes for too long while we weren’t trying to talk. We ride all day, sometimes 12 hours and have never run out of battery. We both play music the entire time so no mid ride charging.

SledTL

Do any of you have modular helmet with these systems? I only have that style and every review that I have seen online so far has been for motorcycle helmets that have fixed visors. Not sure how to route the microphone if I am constantly flipping up the front. I would prefer the non-boom mic options as well if possible. I think the U clear appears to be that.

dfattack

Do any of you have modular helmet with these systems? I only have that style and every review that I have seen online so far has been for motorcycle helmets that have fixed visors. Not sure how to route the microphone if I am constantly flipping up the front. I would prefer the non-boom mic options as well if possible. I think the U clear appears to be that.
We have oxygens. Sorry

whitedust

We have oxygens. Sorry
Yep we all bought Oxygens when Doo put them on sale end of last season mainly to ditch the Mod snot mops. Of course there is the Advex now that accepts coms my thinking is to take on Mission with built in coms. Any good who knows since no one used them yet. Oh and hot market for used Mods on FB sold both of mine for top dollar.

lofsfire

I did forget to mention battery life in my first post. They have always lasted a day. I've only check it here and there after use, but I believe typically about 1/2 used. I just put it on the charger at night. I don't play music all day, but you can... I do have may cell phone connected via bluetooth and can take calls. Everyone I have talked while riding, never knew I was riding at the time.

My one complaint which UClear has updates (and sent me new, free, microphones) the mic's uses the same port as the charger. From a water proof stand point it makes since. Less connection points... However, the old mic's were a very, very tight fitting plug. The new mic's plugs work with out any problems. but of course you still have to unplug the mic to charge the unit. I personally think the charge port should have been separate. It would just cut down on the number of times you are plugging and unplugging in the same port.

As far as mic placement. With the Uclear system you options or limitless! I have the CASTLE X, EXO-CX950 Modular, my oldest has a Bell Modular, and my youngest son has a G-Max Modular. I have the mic's in different places on each helmet. According to Uclear that should be basically centered above each of your eyes. They give you little valcro covers that stick to the helmet liner.

In my Castle I have them just sticking out of the front of the cheek pads in line with your mouth. If you were looking at the helmet.
Bell- I think I tucked these back behind the cheek pads or up above his head in the top liner.
G-Max - I think we did the placement above his eyes.

I can check and take some pictures.

SledTL

I did forget to mention battery life in my first post. They have always lasted a day. I've only check it here and there after use, but I believe typically about 1/2 used. I just put it on the charger at night. I don't play music all day, but you can... I do have may cell phone connected via bluetooth and can take calls. Everyone I have talked while riding, never knew I was riding at the time.

My one complaint which UClear has updates (and sent me new, free, microphones) the mic's uses the same port as the charger. From a water proof stand point it makes since. Less connection points... However, the old mic's were a very, very tight fitting plug. The new mic's plugs work with out any problems. but of course you still have to unplug the mic to charge the unit. I personally think the charge port should have been separate. It would just cut down on the number of times you are plugging and unplugging in the same port.

As far as mic placement. With the Uclear system you options or limitless! I have the CASTLE X, EXO-CX950 Modular, my oldest has a Bell Modular, and my youngest son has a G-Max Modular. I have the mic's in different places on each helmet. According to Uclear that should be basically centered above each of your eyes. They give you little valcro covers that stick to the helmet liner.

In my Castle I have them just sticking out of the front of the cheek pads in line with your mouth. If you were looking at the helmet.
Bell- I think I tucked these back behind the cheek pads or up above his head in the top liner.
G-Max - I think we did the placement above his eyes.

I can check and take some pictures.
I have a CX 950 as well, so that is great to know they fit. I just wanted to make sure that they could be routed to spaces not in the chin area of the helmet if its always moving. If you do have a picture it would be great to see. Always helps and I am planning to likely go with the U clears.

lofsfire

Amazing what these little mic's pick up. I put mine were I did because I was afraid it would not be clear in the suggest spot. After using them it probably does not matter. As I said, I have them behind padding in the kids helmets. I hear them just fine. With that said I have not moved them because I know they work where they are at. I had to play with the G-Max a bit to stop wind noise etc. The Bell I'm fairly sure I stuck in the head liner. My son did not like the fog deflector in that helmet. So he wears a balaclava with a breath guard as you would for a MX style helmet. I think this lets in engine noise to the helmet area. The Uclear app has adjustments for mic sensitivity as well.

Uclear has other models that can be less than the Infinity Motion. I was told the only difference were number of units that can be connect at once and the shape of it. When I bought mine it was a $10 per unit differences. So for $30 for are three, due to that sale I found, I figured It was well worth $30 more for the versatility the Infinity Motion offered.

I normally ride with my kids and then with a few other guys consistently. But last year I had 3 trips I rode with guys I normally did not ride with. Only one of them had a commutator, but we were able to link them together.

dfattack

One comment about mic placement. I installed mine close to my chin. Mine tended to frost up a little while breathing heavy. This caused clarity issues and even got to the point the mic was not usable. Had to move to the recommended location up across the brow area. Much better.

lofsfire

Here are the pictures of my helmet with the mic placement. I have not had any frost issues. Also I looked at my kids helmets the Bell I have up in the head liner. the G-Max is behind the cheek pads.

ADCreHdyrKc8R5gQbYwQdkZrAKNWCihBE_MNgUz_hcgctyRFZZIROEDvjeVm6Luw7Pj9RoGlICHfUosLm8M4F2ZKyotvFMMIibJ1ELxkNbfloGXmrp1Y1y2i5czT19WvGUuRDYAulQuPfm4N8tMnknWVzK4tLg=w1111-h1974-s-no