helmet for 4 year old?

tomcat

I occasionally take my 4 year old for short rides in the field behind my home. Would like to get him a helmet but really no where to go and try them on around here (IA). I would think a full face would fog up on him and be awkward so leaning towards open face and goggles. Always warm when I'd be taking him out and generally less than 20 miles per hour. This way he could use it in the summer as well on 4 wheelers and what not. I don't want to have too much wrapped up in one as he will probably out grow it within a couple years. Any recommendations on reasonably priced set ups with good fitting guides/return policies, etc.

moose822

My 4 year old goes on rides with me. We just did 15 miles last weekend. He does have a big of a large head (chip off of the old block). We got him an adult extra small and it is on the loose side but I would say it still fits properly. It is a full face helmet where the shield seals against the helmet (not a modular). I was worried that an open face with goggles would be too cold for him, and there is nothing worse than having a cold kid. I hope you find one that works! I would have never guessed that going 20mph max on a sled could be so much fun. But for him and myself it is great. He even fell asleep on the sled last weekend and I had to ride the last 5 miles one handed while holding on to him.

tomcat

My boy looks forward to it all winter. Unfortunately only been able to get him out once this year. Finally got snow and then melted a few days later! Does the full face fog up on ur boy?

groomerdriver

How about an open face with a flip up/down shield? I'm assuming somebody still sells them. Or an open face with goggles, but get some type of turtle fur face mask/balaclava thing. They're out there.....I've seen 'em.

- - - Updated - - -

Does the full face fog up on ur boy?

FF will fog up on my kids helmets but they all have heated shields.

tomcat

I don't want to have to plug him in. He has been wearing a couple balaclava, stocking hat, goggles and no complaints of being cold. I'm thinking open is probably the way to go. If he does get cold we are usually close to home. Everyone that I've seen at our local stores are way to big. thx for the suggestions guys

Yenann

That seems like a very heavy helmet for a 4 yo. Got mine HJC open face. Get something lightweight. Don't strain is neck at 4

Woodtic

Heavy helmet = neck injury. Putt putt around the yard with a bike helmet and goggles. There is a reason why they don't make helmets for very small kids. The heavy helmet causes neck injury with a slight impact.

tomcat

To be honest I've been putt putting around without a helmet on him. We've been going slow and I don't see an issue with it. He's been warm as well. Last time my face started getting cold doing this so I put a helmet on to stay warm. I got to thinking it probably looks really bad with me wearing a helmet holding on to my helmetless son. The bicycle helmet may be a good idea. He has one of those already. wouldnt mind the chin protection of a sno cross style helmet incase he ever hit the bars. Would one of those be light enough?

nocerus03

I ended up buying a youth sized hockey helmet for my son (he is 2.5 yrs old) . He loves it. He wears a balaclava underneath and a pair of my goggles and has never complained about being cold. My goggles are much larger than what he needs, however they serve a good purpose. The larger size tends to cover more of his face so it helps with wind protection. He and i have done 20-30 mile rides at a time and he has a ball.

Attachments

• Iron River.jpg
    Iron River.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 16

scott_b

When my son was 4-5 we bought him an HJC full face helmet and it has worked great. No fogging with the snow shield and the single pane is nice for when we ATV. Prior to that we used a snow ski helmet. It was warm, light and came with goggles. Since he was small then it worked well even being open face because he was well shielded behind the windshield.

benz

We use snowboarder helmets with goggles for our little ones. 3 - 7 year olds. They will ride in the sled behind the snowmobile for an hour. Just need a good balaclava and possibly an additional scarf if it gets in the teens. We are worried about the weight of the standard helmets as others have pointed out. The snowboarder helmets are also adjustable to to account for the growing head size. Here's a fun photo.

Attachments

• 20150206_154754.jpg
    20150206_154754.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 8