Helmet suggestions...

foxrvrcat

We will be there in early March ... my 50th birthday bucket list thing! I use a helmet with an electric shield, I know I'm not going to be able to use it out there on a rental. I'm in need of a new helmet anyway. Looking for suggestions. Wondered if the modulars work OK out there (with the thinner air)? Thanks!!!

stealthv

A closed faced helmet out west is like a three pack a day smoker running up twenty flights of stairs while breathing into a paper lunch bag. Keeping warm isn't the issue, especially in March, but rather breathing in enough air to keep a flatlander from dying of asphyxiation.

This is your birthday bucket list thing, buy the best MX style helmet you can afford.

My recommendation is a lightweight carbon fiber model such as 509, MotorFist or HMK like I'm riding with this year.

Last edited:

polarisrider1

Myself and most the guys I ride with wear the Fly Carbon fiber helmets (flat black), scott goggles work great with it. Before you buy, look for a place you can fit Googles to helmet on the spot. Where you going in March?

kirk600

Don't know if you wear glasses or not, but I do and a goggle with dual pane lenses work best for me. I wear a HJC mx helmet, bought a KLIM but haven't tried it yet. Have fun

MotorFist

Kind of interesting. I Actually rode in a Ski-Doo modular helmet (I live and ride in Idaho) last week. I usually wear an open face helmet.

This will sound cliche but the modular worked on the trails....once in the mountains it's a no go. At all! Get an open face!

foxrvrcat

Can't thank y'all enough for all the suggestions ... gotta go shopping.

We are going to Tog. This is my 50th birthday gift from hubby. Grew up riding Indiana cornfields. Ride local (no. Illinois or Up north) now. My dad rode out west for years, I've always wanted to go. I figure I better not wait for my 60th! I expect depression to set in when I get back ... when it's over. LOL

Last edited:

polarisrider1

Can't thank y'all enough for all the suggestions ... gotta go shopping.

We are going to Tog. This is my 50th birthday gift from hubby. Grew up riding Indiana cornfields. Ride local (no. Illinois or Up north) now. My dad rode out west for years, I've always wanted to go. I figure I better not wait for my 60th! I expect depression to set in when I get back ... when it's over. LOL

Don't forget the Togwotee Gift shop, Most all my Klim gear has been bought there. Sometimes they have some way sweet helmets in stock.