Helmet with heated shield

xcr101

looking to see what helmets everyone is using and had good luck with. looking to upgrade to something with a heated shield and will keep the wind off your face on those below zero rides. Anyone using the 509 delta.

MKW

I switched to the CKX Mission helmet, as has a TON of people. Best helmet i have ever had. NO wind on my face, extremely quite. and very comfortable and warm.

jedoyle

Just got my wife a CKX Mission helmet for X-Mas. We rode twice this past week & she loved it. Went from a BRP Mod 2 helmet.

ICT Sledder

You Mission buyers getting the electric or unheated versions? Have heard some buyers getting the unheated since it works so well, but that seems like a gamble.

As for the OP, personally I currently have the CastleX CX950, which is a re-badged Scorpion motorcycle helmet with the snowmobile-specific add-ons. Not super impressed with it from either a quality of construction or fit perspective. Used to have an HJC, and just bought my wife a new HJC a few weeks ago (C91), and at least in my opinion the HJC's are far better helmets.

Wish Shoei or Schuberth made snowmobile helmets, but I'm guessing that's not going to happen.

snoden

I have a season under my belt with the mission, it does everything extremely well. Warm, quite, great vision and it works equally well with or without electric shield. I used it both ways and settled on using the heated shield because you can remove the breath box using the heated shield. I know plenty of guys that don't want the "cord" and love their mission as well. Three guys in my group picked up a mission for this season.
You Mission buyers getting the electric or unheated versions? Have heard some buyers getting the unheated since it works so well, but that seems like a gamble.
Not a gamble at all, my original plan was to have the heated shield just in case. I rode 3 days with no heat and it performed flawless. It was only when I used the heated shield that I realized that I needed nothing on my face. I liked the freedom it offered using the heated shield.

Was looking at the Mission and the CX950 myself. I did really like the looks of the CX950. Have not heard one negative about the Mission, however. I currently have an HJC that treated me well and I didn't even have to use the heated shield, as fogging was not really an issue with this helmet. It did leak air and was cold, however. It has also started falling apart slowly. So, it's time to get a new one. Anyone know where you can get the best deal on the Mission?

mrbb

something to consider, on helmet reviews on fogging or not,
a TON of how well a helmet shield stays fog free also has a TON to do with the physical condition of the user, folks in SHAPE as to folks maybe NOT so much, will breath a LOT differently in like conditions
so when asking, you also need to ask and be honest about your physical condition , are you a rather active person with good cardio or not??

ME< between having only 1 lung, asthma , and other breathing issue, and will honestly say NOT in the shape I once was,
I can fog a helmet THINKING about riding a snowmobile ! LOL

SO< like I said, condition of user matters a lot IMO< and is something many leave out of reviews, or maybe don;'t even consider when talking about how they like THERE helmet!

now that being said
I had a castle CX 950 with heated shield, and the heated shield kept thing fog free for me, what I can say on it is, the shield worked GREAT when plugged in for me, in temps from minus 20 on up(had a day of some major cold temps and still rode in it) rode in a sleet rain mix, and will say it did MELT the ice build up, but at times it needed help to swipe it off shield
things I disliked, were first I wasn't a big fan of the latch to open the face part up, what I found is after riding a lot in snow dust from riders in front of me, or , just maybe due to me breathing a lot more than many, condensation and snow would build up on the latch part and at times, would even Stop the helmet from closing latching on the latch if you were able to open it, as ICE would also cover the mechanism,!
it wasn't a problem to say I HATED it or wouldn;t buy again, but was a issue I had many times over the two yrs I used it!
NEXT was the slide down orange screen, I never liked that color for a shield lens, and I dis liked how that shield would rattle, found the rattling annoying after a while

other things I found, is this helmet ran two sizes smaller than other helmets I had to get the same fit, it is a little on the heavy side too, but not enough to not buy again!

I also had issue's with shield plug coming out, a simple zip tie to things solved that,
over all I say a good helmet, over priced for what it is, but what's not over priced anymore!

ICT Sledder

something to consider, on helmet reviews on fogging or not,
a TON of how well a helmet shield stays fog free also has a TON to do with the physical condition of the user, folks in SHAPE as to folks maybe NOT so much, will breath a LOT differently in like conditions
so when asking, you also need to ask and be honest about your physical condition , are you a rather active person with good cardio or not??

ME< between having only 1 lung, asthma , and other breathing issue, and will honestly say NOT in the shape I once was,
I can fog a helmet THINKING about riding a snowmobile ! LOL

SO< like I said, condition of user matters a lot IMO< and is something many leave out of reviews, or maybe don;'t even consider when talking about how they like THERE helmet!

now that being said
I had a castle CX 950 with heated shield, and the heated shield kept thing fog free for me, what I can say on it is, the shield worked GREAT when plugged in for me, in temps from minus 20 on up(had a day of some major cold temps and still rode in it) rode in a sleet rain mix, and will say it did MELT the ice build up, but at times it needed help to swipe it off shield
things I disliked, were first I wasn't a big fan of the latch to open the face part up, what I found is after riding a lot in snow dust from riders in front of me, or , just maybe due to me breathing a lot more than many, condensation and snow would build up on the latch part and at times, would even Stop the helmet from closing latching on the latch if you were able to open it, as ICE would also cover the mechanism,!
it wasn't a problem to say I HATED it or wouldn;t buy again, but was a issue I had many times over the two yrs I used it!
NEXT was the slide down orange screen, I never liked that color for a shield lens, and I dis liked how that shield would rattle, found the rattling annoying after a while

other things I found, is this helmet ran two sizes smaller than other helmets I had to get the same fit, it is a little on the heavy side too, but not enough to not buy again!

I also had issue's with shield plug coming out, a simple zip tie to things solved that,
over all I say a good helmet, over priced for what it is, but what's not over priced anymore!
You can get a different lens slide-down lens color on the Castle X CX950. They have a couple of different colors, including just smoke/gray. You might not find them on the Castle X site, but you will on the Scorpion site (who, like I said earlier, is the helmet manufacturer who makes the CX950).

And the thumb latch for the CX950 flip-up is hot garbage - with you there 100%. No way to articulate it with gloves on. Fails such a very basic design consideration. The new HJC sled helmet I just bought my wife has a far better design in that regard, as do the Shoei modulars we both have for motorcycle use.

radta7

I am on year 2 of my 509 Delta and love it. Two other riders in my group picked them up this year due to my good luck with mine last year. Hope that helps.