Here is a suggestion

booondocker

Okay, let me be the first to break the rules, John.

(who wants to talk about the weather anyways, since all I have to do is turn on the tube and endure 2 dozen spot commercials and a bunch of teaser "weather straight ahead" statements to find out if it is going to rain tomorrow or not?)

I sense that you and the little woman (jist kidd'n lady) are unnecessarily cooped up durin dah hunt.

Why not get a blaze orange cover for that four legged wanderer and a matching vest for you and the misses, (no self respecting yooper would NOT have some blaze orange to wear at dis time a year anyways)and go about your wanderings wit odda concern? In dah YOU PEE...yah godda shoot bucks and you have to see dem pretty darn close to know if day sprount dem horns...so you should never be concerned about gettn' shot and you might even move some deers around inadvertantly sos some of dos guys up a tree might even have to find der guns...and whack one? What's so wrong wit dat? So long as dah dog doesn't go chasing dah deers around, your in dah clear....

By dah way...my dad has been known to wear his blaze orange to funerals...and never bat an eye!

R

robert

booondocker...you really think all hunters look close?
From today's Detroit Free Press:
A man says he shot a neighbor's cow after mistaking it for a coyote. But authorities and the owner are skeptical.
The undersheriff in northern Michigan's Benzie County said he doesn't see how anyone could confuse a 1,400-pound pregnant cow with a coyote, which typically weighs between 20 and 45 pounds.
Anyway, shooting coyotes is illegal during firearm deer season. Authorities asked the prosecutor to bring charges.
A 42-year-old man told authorities he was out to shoot coyotes near his Colfax Township home Saturday when he killed the cow, Undersheriff Rory Heckman told the Traverse City Record-Eagle for a story published Wednesday.
"The part of his story he is holding to is he shot at a coyote. I don't know how he hit a several-thousand pound cow," Heckman said.
The cow was named Hannah and had wandered away from its farm.
"My husband thought that he should go through some therapy looking at repeated pictures of cows and coyotes because they look nothing alike. It didn't make any sense to me," said owner DeAnn Mosher.

booondocker

This is an extreme example which might have happened any time, not jist deer season. The guy is a nut...and probably thought he could pot the cow and take it home without anyone knowing about it...but got caught. These examples get scouped up and handed out as "hunting" accidents when point of fact is they should never be classified that way at all.

...and besides all that, if the cow had been wearing it's blaze orange...even that 'story' would not have held water.

john

Thanks booonbocker.

We actually have many nice places we can still go to and walk with Burt. I miss being able to just go right from our door, but it is not a major problem.

I have talked with many of my friends that hunt and they all said they would prefer persons walking their dogs not go in the woods, so I honor their request.

At this time of the year, it is really just a case of waiting for the snow and hopefully that wait will not be much longer.
happy.gif

-John

xcr440

A case of better safe than sorry. Same thing here in Wisconsin right now. And if you do have to go out, even in your yard, WEAR ORANGE!