Hey MRBB

Tracker

it was easier with pics in here....here are the Carbide burrs I use...double cut...and the drill is a jobber length but you want a screw length they are short and break less

Screenshot_20210603-183928_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20210603-183825_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20210603-183808_Google.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Like this only titanium coated if you can find it...I have a guy I order from let me know if you want his number...he is an industrial supply guy

Screenshot_20210603-184334_Google.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Super slow RPMs and lots of force with molybdenum oil should go thru like butter....this is assuming the material is titanium....if it's heavy it could be hastaloy...or inconel

mrbb

Thanks Tracker for the info and all

I will be looking for some of these and ordering and giving them a go

Honestly didn;t think drilling into a sign post was going to be so tricky, and rather surprised how hard the metal on them is, ate up a bunch of bit's on me trying so far!
these I had hoped would work , but didn;t

https://ttp-hard-drills.com/

so, I hope your suggestion get the job done

will let you know how I make out when I get them and give it another go!

snomoman

Are you guys trying to drill one of those H channel green sign posts? that is some crazy metal that they use for them I’ve never been able to drill them out, curious what you come up with, since I’ve never had any luck drilling them out, I’ve always used 5/16” bolts instead of 3/8” ones

mrbb

Are you guys trying to drill one of those H channel green sign posts? that is some crazy metal that they use for them I’ve never been able to drill them out, curious what you come up with, since I’ve never had any luck drilling them out, I’ve always used 5/16” bolts instead of 3/8” ones

I am trying to drill thru roadway sign posts, mine are not green however, but there about 30 yrs old, was given a bunch yrs back and they been sitting my metal pile till last yr when I started building a retaining wall
I am using either 3/8 x 8 inch lag bolts to secure them into the wall itself , which is 12 x 12 inch think timbers(railroad bridge decking timbers) there 15 ft long!

I sunk the sign post in the ground along property line and building fence up against them, and was attaching them to wall as layers went on, to help act as a prevention to keep timbers from going over the wall, as been working alone, and there pretty heavy timbers 700-850 lbs they vary in weight
so bolting the sign post as I go as it helps prevent leverage from happening and just pushing /bending the post over and the timbers flush against things as I place them and hammer in 1 inch re bar to keep them connected!

I just ran out of pre made holes in the sign post(they had about 4 ft of holes in them, them

never thought be so hard to drill thru 1/8 inch or so thick metals , ruined a bunch of bits trying so far, and I tried a few different types of bits, like in the link above I posted, they claimed would work when I talked to them, but didn't,

I only have two more rows to add, so I an Maybe get by without at this point,just trying to keep things looking uniform I think more than any real need at this point,

SO, if i could get rest of the holes made, I'd install the lag bolts I have

I was looking at a conversion to make a angle grinder into a Die grinder, as I do have a cordless grinder, that I might try with a carbide burr like Tracker stated, I think that might be what's needed
and I will order a few new drill bits he suggested too, and see if they work

Got 5 projects going at once here, so, picking on things as I can and weather and health allows, going from indoor projects to outside one's., little at a time, ain;t no race for me anymore to get things like this done!

Tracker

135 degree cobalt grind drills better in harder material than the standard 118 degree grind....it has to have the web grind...I will post a pic for you of some I have that drill all kinds of hard kryptonite....lol....trying to do it by hand with a cordless takes brute strength though...now that's hard to do....because the more force the better they cut at slower speeds

Tracker

See how it's got that extra grind on the web....see how short they r

20210604_092546.jpg

20210604_092540.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Here is fluid you need for drilling and tapping kryptonite

20210604_093040.jpg

mrbb

I am still waiting on drill bits I ordered, so haven't any new news to report yet!<br> been very slow here lately on getting anything delivered?<br><br> But I for sure will update once I get things and I get to try  drilling again<br><br> I am NOW also waiting on my dirt too, as that was supposed top be delivered last week, then they said,  in a day then next day then this week, and so far ain;t heard from them!!<br><br> I will never understand why a person/business  would waste there OWN time to call you and say BE there Tomorrow, if they don't really plan too, or worse call back with an excuse then say TOMORROW FO SURE, and then fail on that as well, and then say Be there next week and again NO show!<br><br> it just seems like wasted energy on there side, and just makes them look back when they don;'t show up, which cannot be good for word of mouth business in the future!<br><br>I can understand if, I was calling them and they just wanted to blow me off with some just saying BS they have no plans to<br><br> but  I them calling me making a time and a date<<br> just makes them look bad to me!<br><br> and its NOT helping me get any projects done  either<br> good thing I don't work anymore and have time when THINGS show up to work around , rather than  be siting here waiting on idiots to deliver when they say they will!!<br><br><br><br><br>

mrbb

Ok Tracker, got an update of sorts

Today I had to run down to my heavy equipment guys house, and while I was there I was telling him of my issue with trying top drill holes in these sign posts
he told me he has very GOOD luck with a a step bit made by a company called TEMO
and gave me a bit to try, he said he has used them to drill thru Ar 400 steel without much issue when there new any how!

SO I went today after getting bit from him, and tired it, and it ate right thru these sign posts, slow speed with a good bit of pressure, and just ate thru !

AMAZING as to all the other's I tried!

I didn;t have camera with me when drilling, but here is a pic of two Other brand bits that claimed to work on hardened steel, the Milwaukee bit never even made a single hole just barely even made a mark in things,. and then, this so called Better Cobalt bit, did make one home almost , but then died and wouldn;t even start to drill after it went dull
all were used on the same drill and speed setting and pressure!
I also tried a bunch of unknown brands drill bits as well as a few other branded steps bits(the harbor freight one did the best of one's I had, better than some brand named ones too, but none would go all the way thru to a 3/8 inch hole any how)

SO< if anyone needs a good step bit for harden steel, I will give this Temo, a thumbs up, they can be had in other sizes too and there a lot cheaper $$ than some of the one's I tried , I looked up this one and its like 20 bucks or so, I tried 60 dollar ones that didn't do anything for me on these sign posts, so well worth there price as to others!
And tracker,
I still have them short jobber bits coming, , so once I get them I will also try them and see how they work too!
be back up if nothing else!
but so far
I drilled 6 holes today with this step bit

and all good !

Attachments

• 101_8574.jpg
    101_8574.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 101_8578.jpg
    101_8578.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 19
Last edited: