Hinckley, MN

Anyone ride out of Hinckley yet this season? Looks like they have plenty of snow that direction, thinking about driving up in the morning and riding for the day. Probably head north towards Moose Lake or follow any grooming. From the info I can find it sounds like corridors may be groomed but they are working on the side trails. Thanks

Last edited:
G

G

Also looking for reports in this area. Is the Soo Line North route open yet?

sweeperguy

Rode out of Willow River last Friday. Soo Line was groomed there, and I heard all way to Hinkley. Munger was groomed also.
No bare spots, smooth. At that time side trails were plenty of snow, but not groomed. Some closed gates, and some soft swamp (that should be pretty firmed up now).

Last edited:

xcr440

5DC114A8-80A5-4AC1-B45E-C3B2AA648DD1.jpeg
Rode out of Willow Lake last Friday. Soo Line was groomed there, and I heard all way to Hinkley. Munger was groomed also.
No bare spots, smooth. At that time side trails were plenty of snow, but not groomed. Some closed gates, and some soft swamp (that should be pretty firmed up now).

Willow River Steve :)

Thanks for the info, sounds like it should be a decent ride. Maybe a little chilly tomorrow but good. Wanted to go to the UP for three days but everyone canceled on me. So I’m heading north for a day ride.

We started yesterday in Hinckley, snow was good. We rode north and the further we went the better the snow. From Moose Lake north the amount of snow is ridiculous, it looks as if most areas had been groomed and we did not run into any brushing problems so everything we rode was great. 120 miles for the day and only 10-20 were bumpy. We ran into a guy who rode in Hermantown area and said snow was very deep.

rode out of isle saturday and soo was gromed flat.red top was nice but parts still waiting for good freeze up.side trails have not been groomed yet.

SledTL

Anyone know if they have been grooming more in this area? Wanting to go ride after Christmas and hoping that it can survive the couple days of warmer temps.

I would think they still have been grooming. They have a lot of snow I doubt a few days in the mid 30’s will change that.

cmharcou

I posted earlier, were heading to Northshore over Xmas. Trail conditions sure are hard to find compared to the western UP. If you don't want to post how good the trails are, PM me! Lol.

SledTL

I posted earlier, were heading to Northshore over Xmas. Trail conditions sure are hard to find compared to the western UP. If you don't want to post how good the trails are, PM me! Lol.

Maybe call the Trestle Inn, they are in the heart of it all. If you google search MN snow depth map it should show that there is a lot of white stuff up there. Friend was riding in Duluth yesterday and said it was good. Conditions will be good based on the amount of snow, they don't get the UP traffic amount.

rayds

I rode in the McGregor area on Monday the 16th. Rail trails were awesome even without grooming. Grooming was limited by flooding by beaver dams and the fact that the frost was done deep enough to carry a groomer. The some clubs have posted pics of groomers "bogged down" in the bogs trying to get things done for us snowmobilers.

some of the clubs will post on facebook how things are progressing--- best advise is to search for clubs in the area you wish to ride and check their facebook, another place to check is to google

MN DNR snow depth and trail conditions. usually info is updated every Thurs

SledTL

Anyone know how moose lake faired after the past couple days? I want to ride this upcoming Saturday and hoping that the low strength sun didn’t eat too much.

xcr440

Anyone know how moose lake faired after the past couple days? I want to ride this upcoming Saturday and hoping that the low strength sun didn’t eat too much.

Not sure how it ended up after yesterday, but they have plenty of snow up there to withstand a few warm days - 442 miles in just over 3 days was a pretty good second trip for the season before Christmas.

Whitenytro

How is it looking around there now? Have a group that planned a cabin long weekend starting tomorrow. We are wondering if it's ok there or if we should head farther north.

SledTL

Let me know if you are there, planning to go to silver bay this Saturday but even debating that now based on cameras and weather app....Sunday will be a different story