HJC Helmets anyone?

journeyman

The last several years I had been using an HJC CL-15 full face helmet with the framed lens. I have one dual pane and one of the electric dual pane lenses that I have had good luck with. The only thing was it was blue to match my old Yamaha that I sold a few years ago. Last season I decided to get another one in flat black that would work with any suit or sled color.

I ended up getting the CL-17 but now HJC has gone away with the framed lens and went with a frameless type lens. I bought one with the electric shield. I have literally used it on two trips to Michigan, the lens leaks air like crazy up around my eyebrows, doesn't seem to melt off though I have a good voltage right to the end of the cord connection. Now last week the lens ended up getting moisture between the panes and its now toast. I have e-mailed HJC several times and they won't even respond to me. I paid around $200 for the whole thing at Bobs Cycle in St. Paul,Mn. and to get a new lens it's $115. Pretty lousy I get 2 rides and the lens is garbage.

Anyone else have this style helmet?

xcr440

I got a new HJC last year with the frameless dual lens electric shield and had the same issues you did after only ~250 miles.

I ordered a new shield from Dennis Kirk, and without checking it, threw it on and it leaked on the first 100+ mile ride.

I ordered another one, and took the time to make sure the double backing tape that holds the two lenses together was tight all the way around, and found two places it was not in the process. It would have surely leaked again. I squeezed it all together and have had no issues with this one. DK called me when I checked defective on the return, they took the time to talk to me and notice it was not put together right, and refunded me. I think they have a flaw in their manufacturing process not making sure that seal is tight, but you can get it together correctly yourself if you like the helmet. I'm over 1200 miles now without an issue.

journeyman

Thanks, good to know. As said I have had zero support from HJC. I did e-mail Bob's and haven't heard back. I am going to call them today. Good thing I had my spare helmet on my trip last week or I would have been looking to buy a new helmet up there. Problem is all of these helmets are so small today. I need a 3xl to fit me. Back in the late '80's when almost all the sled companies used the Bell Wedge as their main helmet I wore an XL. Now all this made in China thing the helmets have all gotten smaller IMHO. Nothing fits me, I know my head hasn't grown that much. I still have that old Bell and it still fits like it did back then. I looked at two different dealerships in Michigan and neither of them even had my size in any helmet.

fredster

I have the same helmet in size XXL, got it about 3 years ago and the original framed heated shield lasted for two seasons. For that shield and my older HJC helmets I always added foam tape to seal the shield to the upper edge of the helmet as there was always a 1/4" or greater gap along the top which made them very drafty. 1/4" foam tape worked great.

Last season I switched to the frameless shield. I must have gotten lucky because mine is very airtight and worked well both last year and this year approximately 2000+ miles. I will take a look at the seal tonight, but have not had an issue. I did notice last weekend when riding in the Yoop at -5 to 5 that I had a small amount of frost to the extreme right side but it was right on the edge of my peripheral vision and was not a bother to me.

Of all the HJC helmets I have had (two CL14's followed by the CL17) this one has actually been the one I am happiest with.....works as designed. My only complaint is the "mustache" air deflector folds over everytime I flip up the front and I have to fiddle with it when closing it again.

I will also add that I usually get 3+ seasons out of an e-shield, I have taken a couple of the older electric shields apart and re-soldered the grid wires where they connect to the plug, that always seems to be the weak point....I'm pretty hard on helmets I guess.

journeyman

I have been trying to upload a photo of the helmet/shield all fogged up. The site only allows a jpeg of 19.5 KB or smaller to upload. I shrunk it down to 19.1 KB but it still will not upload it.

journeyman

It took me a few phone calls and I finally got Bob's Cycles manager and he said bring it in and they'd take care of me.

xcsp

It took me a few phone calls and I finally got Bob's Cycles manager and he said bring it in and they'd take care of me.

Good to hear they'll help you out.

HJC still has the black framed shields available and should work fine if you continue to have issues with the new frameless design.

Hoosier

Good discussion- I was looking at one of those hjc's with the frameless helmet but seems I would be better off sticking with the black framed ones. Have had good luck with hjc full face but time for new one

jetrep

I picked up an HJC CS-R2 w/ framed heated visor last year. HJC seems to be getting stingy. They did not include a chin curtain. The amount of wind that blew through the helmet was hard on the eyes. I bought a chin curtain and it helps. It's still too drafty but tolerable. I increased amount of foam tape at the top of the visor with no significant improvement.

journeyman

Good to hear they'll help you out.

HJC still has the black framed shields available and should work fine if you continue to have issues with the new frameless design.

I know you can still get the replacement frames and many outfitters still have framed models in stock but I was told they actually don't offer the framed models as a package (frame and helmet) anymore. When I bought mine he said he had several framed type electric shield HJC helmets left but none in the larger sizes. Anything over an XL helmet all he had was the newer frameless units. Maybe I am wrong, just going by what they told me.

I assume you can't install a framed lens on a helmet that came as a frameless.....??

On another note:

While in Michigan we always stay by Pat's in Greenland. When we ride north we usually stop and see Chad at M&M to look around. I really liked the look of the GMax GM11s Trekka helmet he had. It looks like a motocross helmet but can be bought with an electric flip up shield. They didn't have any large enough for me and their website shows 2XL as the biggest available. I don't think it would fit. The XL Chad had wasn't even close so I can't see the 2X fitting. I ran into one guy at Krupps and one guy at the Rousseau Bar that had this helmet and they love it, said no leaks and the electric shield worked great. Zoan makes a similar one called the Synchrony.

Last edited:

xcr440

I picked up an HJC CS-R2 w/ framed heated visor last year. HJC seems to be getting stingy. They did not include a chin curtain. The amount of wind that blew through the helmet was hard on the eyes. I bought a chin curtain and it helps. It's still too drafty but tolerable. I increased amount of foam tape at the top of the visor with no significant improvement.

I had to buy the chin curtain also. Made a big difference. I also don't like any air hitting me in the neck, even through the balaclava, so I wear a thicker neck wrap that has eliminated most of the air flow. Its perfect for me right now, and the switchable vents actually control how much air I get into the helmet as they should.

buddah2

....... I really liked the look of the GMax GM11s Trekka helmet he had. It looks like a motocross helmet but can be bought with an electric flip up shield. They didn't have any large enough for me and their website shows 2XL as the biggest available. I don't think it would fit. The XL Chad had wasn't even close so I can't see the 2X fitting. I ran into one guy at Krupps and one guy at the Rousseau Bar that had this helmet and they love it, said no leaks and the electric shield worked great. Zoan makes a similar one called the Synchrony.

I have the same issue with a large melon (8 3/8 actual hat size).......I tried one of the GM11 Trekka and ended up buying a XXL.......if you take the front breath deflector out and seal some of the vents (I used pieces of high density foam) it works great......ridden down to 0 with it so far......yeah, I know.....I'm a wuss..........

journeyman

I have the same issue with a large melon (8 3/8 actual hat size).......I tried one of the GM11 Trekka and ended up buying a XXL.......if you take the front breath deflector out and seal some of the vents (I used pieces of high density foam) it works great......ridden down to 0 with it so far......yeah, I know.....I'm a wuss..........

Interesting. I have been searching the internet for dealers around my area..(Mpls/St.Paul) and found one close to me that claims they have this helmet in a 2xx ,so I am going to stop by after work and give it a fit test. Then I will head to St.Paul to drop off my HJC at Bob's Cycle Supply. If the GMax fits maybe I can get a deal on it. What snow we have here is going to melt this weekend. Our lousy winter for what is was will be over.

buddah2

Interesting. I have been searching the internet for dealers around my area..(Mpls/St.Paul) and found one close to me that claims they have this helmet in a 2xx ,so I am going to stop by after work and give it a fit test. Then I will head to St.Paul to drop off my HJC at Bob's Cycle Supply. If the GMax fits maybe I can get a deal on it. What snow we have here is going to melt this weekend. Our lousy winter for what is was will be over.

It'll feel really snug at first blush......concentrate on how it fits your head, not around the chin area.......when I first tried it on it was somewhat claustrophobic but removing that deflector helps a lot......and is really easy too.....it just snaps out....

blkhwkbob

My lord, can it be made any skimpier? I hope my cl-15 with the full plastic shield lasts forever! That shield is a joke.

xcr440

Yup that's the one. When you get your new one, make sure to squeeze that skinny double sided strip all the way around the edges to make sure it is all sealed up properly before using it. Like I said, over 1200 miles now without an issue. Its pretty simple, not sure why HJC can't do that before sending them out.

xcsp

Journeyman, I was told you can use either style shield is what I was told, but I haven't tried the frameless shield.

A local shop has 50% of this week on select snow helmets so I picked up a HJC CS-R2 snow helmet with a non-heated framed shield for $60. Have yet to try it yet, doesn't have the "breath box" like my previous HJC, just the breath deflector.

Helmet is similar to this one, this one shows the previous style breath box.

Attachments

• hjc_243-911 sm.jpg
    hjc_243-911 sm.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 77