Hockeyville USA Competition - Calumet and Eagle River

skiroule

I see that the Calumet Colosseum and the Eagle River Sports Arena are two of the four finalists in the Kraft Hockeyville competition. Both are in sledding areas that are near and dear to many of the JD members. Would be pretty cool if one of them won. The winner receives $150,000 for rink upgrades and gets to host an NHL pre-season game.

Starting March 30th, there is unlimited voting for your favorite at https://www.krafthockeyville.com/

jmag

saw a game in eagle river this past season, the high school team was very good. it is a really cool building, with the dome being made of wood. the dome is in need of repair and they are trying to fundraise to fix it. they will get my vote for sure

slimcake

I saw the commercial the other night watching the Wild. I thought it was very cool. Just added this to my calendar to come back and vote!!

jd

Administrator
Staff member
So I don't want to influence anyone's vote.....

Ah crap, who am I kidding!!!

I just wanted to chime in and give a little info on the Calumet Colosseum.

First, it is the OLDEST OPERATING INDOOR ICE RINK IN THE WORLD! Yep, right here in good old Calumet, MI!
There is no way I can possibly give all the details to such a historic rink, but will give a couple of neat stories. The rink has been the gathering place for folks in the Keweenaw for generations. Be it a squirt, high school or Juniors game, the rink is the place to go to watch local hockey up here.
Back in the 1960's, when the rink wanted to install an artificial ice surface, there was a miners strike going on and over 1500 miners were unemployed. Many of them volunteered their time and talents to install the compressor system, tubing, electrical and everything else needed to be done to complete the job so that they could have an ice surface year-round. To me that speaks of the true spirit of the Keweenaw and a big part of what makes this neck of the woods and ice rink so special.
It is special to me as it is the first place I saw my Gracie skate and on Friday April 5th and Saturday April 6th, I will have the pleasure of joining her on the ice for a Daddy-Daughter segment in their spring ice show. The rehearsals have been agonizing, but I am up to the challenge!
Anyway, the rink is in need of a new compressor. The one they currently have uses a refrigerant that will not be available after January 1, 2020. The cost to replace the compressor is estimated at $150,000-$200,000. If this were in a highly populated and well financed community, it would probably not be a major issue, but for Calumet Township, it will be huge. So this really would help a ton.

I heard a funny story on the radio this morning about a huge hockey game that was not only sold out, but oversold! It was a JR league game between the Calumet Wolverines and another team. There were so many people inside and still waiting to get in, that the State Police showed up to not allow any one else in because of overcrowding rules. As soon as the police left, everyone that was standing outside went in anyway! One of the announcers for the game (a man who has just recently passed on and I had the pleasure to meet a few years back at an Easter Dinner) noticed that there were people sitting in the penalty box. When I brought it up to the other announcer, that announcer said "Yea, that G...Damn Lehto sold tickets to folks to sit in the penalty box! It does not get any more classic than that for old school hockey!

Thanks for reading!

-John

frnash

Just a bit more history of hockey in the Copper Country for those who might be interested.

See: (click →) "Local Ice Rinks in the Copper Country in Michigan's Western Upper Peninsula".

Yes, as John said:

The Calumet Colosseum, built in 1913, is the OLDEST indoor ice arena still in use in the World!

And also:

The Dee Amphidrome, built in 1927 immediately after the original 1902 rink burned down, is the 7th oldest indoor ice rink still in use in the WORLD!

And more: (click →) "Copper Country Hockey History! — The Birthplace of Organized Professional Ice Hockey!".
"The Copper Country, in Michigan's Western Upper Peninsula, is considered the Birthplace of Organized Professional Ice Hockey and Home of the World's First All Professional Ice Hockey Team!"
With that kind of rich history, the Calumet Colosseum really must be preserved, and needs that new $200,000 compressor!

Vote! Vote again! Keep voting!

As it says at at https://www.krafthockeyville.com/:
"NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Open to legal residents of the 50 United States and D.C., 13 or older. Ends 11:00 a.m. ET on 3/31/19. Void where prohibited.

"Take our poll daily starting March 24 through 6:59 a.m. (EDT) on March 30, and Vote starting March 30 at 7:00 a.m. (EDT) through 11:00 a/m. on March 31 to earn entries for a chance to win."
Unlimited voting at https://www.krafthockeyville.com/, starting March 30th.

Last edited:

skiroule

So I don't want to influence anyone's vote.....

Ah crap, who am I kidding!!!

-John

The boys in Vegas had you caving much earlier than you did.

My youngest played it the eagle dome for his mite state championship

Yeah, my grand daughter played there several times a few years back. She was living in the U.P. at the time but ended up playing on a couple Northern WI Blizzard boy's teams - said she liked the legal checking.

wirev

Eagle River took runner-up. Didn't get the big bucks but got $30,000 plus a bunch of equipment. Thanks all. Historical building that's needing repairs. Just heard much of the roof is done, but need a whole new power plant, piping and new cement floor. Talking a mil $$ I believe.

skiroule

we did it!

This is pretty cool. I'm guessing the NHL pre-season game will be well attended. Wonder if they'll sell seats in the penalty box again. Not too many penalties in the pre-season, should be some extra room.

Also good to see that Eagle River got in on some on the money. These facilities are not cheap to maintain and operate.