Homeowners Insurance

bedgar7

I have a cabin in Cadillac and just got my renewal for homeowners insurance and they increased the rates by about 33%. I called and asked what up as I have no claims and their answer was this is their new rates for modular homes. Has anyone else experienced this as well? Does any one have any suggestions for a new a new carrier in this area?

isitwinteryet

We are just north in Manton and use Foremost Ins. The agency on our policy is in Cadillac. Fekete-Burr agency 231-779-7919. Have been with them since we bought our place 4 years ago and no issues. hope this can help

Builder Bob

An unoccupied residence creates a higher insurance rate.
No one home to report a fire, deter burglary and to take care of minor damage, before these damages turn into claims.

The higher rates are often seen when old people migrate into Care facilities.

chords

My primary home premium kept creeping up year after year with Allstate. I talked to my agent and he offered same coverage but much cheaper rates just by switching from Allstate Ins to Allstate Property and Casualty. Check your policy and make sure it reflects any discount available , such as a local fire dept.
Whoever you use does not have to be in the insured area

mezz

Insure this as a "seasonal" property, extend the liability from your primary home. Seasonal occupancy & an unoccupied dwelling are 2 different exposures. The issue here sounds like a "modular" issue perhaps? Is this home on a metal frame? if not, it should qualify for a traditional homeowners policy. As mentioned, make sure your fire department protection status is correct as well.-Mezz

Last edited:

bedgar7

Thank you for the replies so far. I have called around several places and have been high to crazy high. Sounds like everyone jacked the rates for modular homes. The house is on a full basement so it would qualify for a traditional home policy not 'modular'?

mezz

As long as there is no HUD I.D. plate on it & the electric meter is on the home & not on a separate pole you should absolutely be able to qualify for a traditional home policy.-Mezz

polarisrider1

As long as there is no HUD I.D. plate on it & the electric meter is on the home & not on a separate pole you should absolutely be able to qualify for a traditional home policy.-Mezz

What's the pole with a meter have do do with it?
Are you referring to a pole with a place to plug in a mobile home? . I have such pole but we have underground wiring from it to a 200 amp box in the building. Insurance is resonable. Got Homeowners Ins.

mezz

What's the pole with a meter have do do with it?
Are you referring to a pole with a place to plug in a mobile home? . I have such pole but we have underground wiring from it to a 200 amp box in the building. Insurance is resonable. Got Homeowners Ins.

If the meter is on a pole near the home rather than on the home, it is a clear indicator that this would be considered a Mobile Home as they cannot have the meters installed on the structure itself. Mobile home rates differ greatly from that of a traditional home. Many double wide's that look like a traditional stick built home are actually classified as a "Mobile Home".-Mezz

polarisrider1

If the meter is on a pole near the home rather than on the home, it is a clear indicator that this would be considered a Mobile Home as they cannot have the meters installed on the structure itself. Mobile home rates differ greatly from that of a traditional home. Many double wide's that look like a traditional stick built home are actually classified as a "Mobile Home".-Mezz

Ok, I never had this come up. I am still using my "temporary" power pole going on 26 years, my well pit and home made septic system and the flag has not yet been thrown. Township said it's way better then what 99% of the locals have for setups. I just never got around to attaching a service to the place. My main residence has underground from a pole at the street, house is less then a year old. So this an issue to. Both passed all inspections as non HUD housing. My bet is if it got hauled in on a steel frame and the frame remains it can be hauled away then it falls under HUD and a higher insurance rate.

zltim

I don't have a horse in this race but why is modular higher? What is the increased risk to the insurance company?

sweeperguy

I was looking into putting in a double wide Wick home in St. Paul. The building code does not allow mobile homes, but if put on a full basement, and anchored to it. It is allowed and then not considered a mobile home.