houghton/hancock-place to stay

switchback2012

will be looking for a place to stay for a few days while in Houghton area. any suggestion on hotels? will be with my wife so need easy access and nicer chain type hotel. any advice???

garyl62

If you have a vehicle someplace on the south side like Country Inn or Holiday Inn Express would work, but trail access is harder. If you are on a sled Ramada is hard to beat with in building restaurant and bar, but to far to walk to anything in town if you're looking for someplace else to shop, eat or drink. Travel Lodge is right in the middle of the downtown and easy to get walk anyplace but a block of city street riding on the sled and trailer parking is a pain. I like the Super 8, on the spur trail, a bit of a walk to downtown so a vehicle is nice, and it's cheaper than the Ramada.

indy_500

If price per night is no object and ease of trail access/trailer parking is of any importance to you Ramada hands down is the best place to stay. Plus it's right on the canal with a nice view of Houghton. I've stayed just about everywhere in Houghton and Ramada is my favorite.

frnash

… If you are on a sled Ramada is hard to beat with in building restaurant and bar, but to far to walk to anything in town if you're looking for someplace else to shop, eat or drink. …

Too far to walk? Jeez, whadda bunch o' namby pamby young sprouts! :p

Back in my college days at "da Tech" (1958 - 1964), lacking a car, I made a many a winter slog on foot(!) from the east end of campus (Douglass Houghton Hall) to the Lode Theater in Houghton, or through "beautiful downtown Burbank," er … Houghton, across the rickety old swing bridge (before the lift bridge was built!) to the majestic old Kerridge Theater (just east of the old Scott Hotel at the northeast corner of Quincy & Reservations Streets, before the Kerridge was destroyed by fire in 1959), or to the Pic Theater at the west end of Hancock (now the Studio Pizza & Orpheum Theater at 426 Quincy St.), and maybe on to have a pizza at Gino's (800 Quincy St. — Yes, it's still there today!) Over two and a quarter miles in foot-deep snow each way from DHH to the Pic Theater! ;)

(And at eight years of age my mother used to walk a mile and a half from the family farm to the old Syria School in Bruce Crossing, through 3-foot snow drifts, uphill both ways! It's all about Sisu, as da Finns would say. :rolleyes:)

Yeah, I hijacked yer thread, so shoot me!

garyl62

Too far to walk? Jeez, whadda bunch o' namby pamby young sprouts! :p

Back in my college days at "da Tech" (1958 - 1964), lacking a car, I made a many a winter slog on foot(!) from the east end of campus (Douglass Houghton Hall) to the Lode Theater in Houghton, or through "beautiful downtown Burbank," er … Houghton, across the rickety old swing bridge (before the lift bridge was built!) to the majestic old Kerridge Theater (just east of the old Scott Hotel at the northeast corner of Quincy & Reservations Streets, before the Kerridge was destroyed by fire in 1959), or to the Pic Theater at the west end of Hancock (now the Studio Pizza & Orpheum Theater at 426 Quincy St.), and maybe on to have a pizza at Gino's (800 Quincy St. — Yes, it's still there today!) Over two and a quarter miles in foot-deep snow each way from DHH to the Pic Theater! ;)

(And at eight years of age my mother used to walk a mile and a half from the family farm to the old Syria School in Bruce Crossing, through 3-foot snow drifts, uphill both ways! It's all about Sisu, as da Finns would say. :rolleyes:)

Yeah, I hijacked yer thread, so shoot me!

I figured someone would make a comment like that, but ....... you asked for it

Attachments

• shooter.jpg
    shooter.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 192

chicagosledder

Holiday Inn is probably the nicest around. The Ramada in my past experiences wasn't very good, to many young drunks making noise all hours of the night. Plus the food strewn about the hallway isn't exactly what I like to walk around after coming from the pool.

switchback2012

Holiday Inn is probably the nicest around. The Ramada in my past experiences wasn't very good, to many young drunks making noise all hours of the night. Plus the food strewn about the hallway isn't exactly what I like to walk around after coming from the pool.

what about trail access from Holiday Inn??

chicagosledder

what about trail access from Holiday Inn??

Cut through the grocery store parking lot and make a left down the street followed by another left and your on the trail head by Trail 3. The only bare part is sometimes by the grocery lot. The streets are usually snow covered. Nice hotel with no riff raff and no left over food laying on the carpet in the hallway.

indy_500

Cut through the grocery store parking lot and make a left down the street followed by another left and your on the trail head by Trail 3. The only bare part is sometimes by the grocery lot. The streets are usually snow covered. Nice hotel with no riff raff and no left over food laying on the carpet in the hallway.
On a low snow time of year or a warm weekend it is not fun getting to and from the Holiday Inn. Trust me.

chicagosledder

On a low snow time of year or a warm weekend it is not fun getting to and from the Holiday Inn. Trust me.

Either is dealing with 20 something year old drunk kids on Busch Light at 4 am. Plus the bridge is not an easy cross in low snow conditions. I never had a problem so I choose to stay there from now on. Plus the gas station is right across the street.

garyl62

I guess I should be happier with the Super 8 from what you guys are saying. I've stayed there at least 3 times a year for the past several years and I don't ever remember seeing a drunk 20 something party going on or food spread down the hallway. Loudest event I encountered was a birthday party for a 10 year old that had about 30 kids at it and they had rented the party room and were able to use the pool too. It only lasted for 3 hours on a Saturday at dinner so no big deal.

whitedust

Either is dealing with 20 something year old drunk kids on Busch Light at 4 am. Plus the bridge is not an easy cross in low snow conditions. I never had a problem so I choose to stay there from now on. Plus the gas station is right across the street.
That is why you stay on Hancock side avoid low snow bridge crossing...plenty of gas opps..... Sorry you had a bad stay at Ramada but my riding buddy head of maintenance of national chain of hotels in a sledding area and he says quality of stay all depends on who is staying that weekend ...can't really know when you check in. During the Red Light Rally in Hurley in the olden days some Yahoo set off the fire alarm at 3AM at the Holiday Inn. Stayed there since & was fine but not a good stay for a skiing weekend with the wife without kids.... lol.... Me I try all the hotels in fav areas as can't always get in your fav & others good too in different ways.:)

bladeguy

Ramada - right on trail, pool, restaurant, fun bar. BAM! Also if you are a Yamaha guy the dealer is across the street. It is one of the more expensive options though.