Houghton to Saint Germain, Wi wknd of 3/11?

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
LM, a couple of thoughts here. I understand your frustration and hope that you are able to close the transaction. To lump all of us together as uncaring is far from the truth. I've been here since almost the beginning and can tell you that our members are some of the most caring and generous people I've ever known.
That being said, as a Moderator I see scams and junk come through here all the time. Hopefully we catch it in time, sometimes not. A current example is the spooky guy on the video of our homepage. He got past the gatekeepers and now we can't get rid of him. It's the world we live in today. An old politician once said, "trust but verify" and I think that's what most of the replies were saying. We hope that everything works out the best for you, glad to have you with us.

Gary

sMgE46M

I think why people arent jumping on this - just my 2cents... is the risk is all with the person transporting.

Yes they will have the item you will pay them for blah blah blah - BUT what if you dont answer your phone? dont meet up? decide you dont want it anymore? You can blame all the window shoppers on craiglist and marketplace that agree to meet up for an item then never show (you get burned enough you dont play the game anymore). But now someone doing the favor is out money, time, and has something they never wanted in the first place and was trying to be nice.

To overcome this as someone mentioned venmo, paypal, did you suggest stopping by you first to collect the money (of course not your not going to trust some stranger to skip town and not bring you what you bought). Now the tides have turned and your the one at risk with money on the line... but people should be trustworthy right..?)

The entire risk of your request was not on you when you were the one asking for the favor.

grabandgo

I think why people arent jumping on this - just my 2cents... is the risk is all with the person transporting.

Yes they will have the item you will pay them for blah blah blah - BUT what if you dont answer your phone? dont meet up? decide you dont want it anymore? You can blame all the window shoppers on craiglist and marketplace that agree to meet up for an item then never show (you get burned enough you dont play the game anymore). But now someone doing the favor is out money, time, and has something they never wanted in the first place and was trying to be nice.

To overcome this as someone mentioned venmo, paypal, did you suggest stopping by you first to collect the money (of course not your not going to trust some stranger to skip town and not bring you what you bought). Now the tides have turned and your the one at risk with money on the line... but people should be trustworthy right..?)

The entire risk of your request was not on you when you were the one asking for the favor.
"entire risk"? Really? IT'S $200.00

sMgE46M

"entire risk"? Really? IT'S $200.00

your probably a gambler, im not nor does anyone in this thread seem to be. Call us all cheap a$$e$ i dont really care...

principle my guy - everyone has a comfort zone it looks like.

The point was a suggestion (which yes before you say something - i know its not helping the guy out so why even respond/post) - to try a different approach if you wanted more help/quicker receiving time and insight to why people would be hesitant and made the comments they made.

Kudos to you for helping LM (y)

Last edited:

grabandgo

LM, a couple of thoughts here. I understand your frustration and hope that you are able to close the transaction. To lump all of us together as uncaring is far from the truth. I've been here since almost the beginning and can tell you that our members are some of the most caring and generous people I've ever known.
That being said, as a Moderator I see scams and junk come through here all the time. Hopefully we catch it in time, sometimes not. A current example is the spooky guy on the video of our homepage. He got past the gatekeepers and now we can't get rid of him. It's the world we live in today. An old politician once said, "trust but verify" and I think that's what most of the replies were saying. We hope that everything works out the best for you, glad to have you with us.

Gary
Gary, all he did was ask a simple question. Did you even read what the "most caring and generous people" responded with? WOW!

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gary, all he did was ask a simple question. Did you even read what the "most caring and generous people" responded with? WOW!
Yeah, I'm not going to debate the merits of our members or the lack thereof. I would suppose a cross section of JohnDee would reflect society for the most part, mostly good and a few hard cases.

But let me put it this way....If a friend you knew called and asked for this favor I think most would ablige but someone you've never met? Highly unlikely and that's just the world we live in. I hope it worked out for LM.

snomoman

Yeah, I'm not going to debate the merits of our members or the lack thereof. I would suppose a cross section of JohnDee would reflect society for the most part, mostly good and a few hard cases.

But let me put it this way....If a friend you knew called and asked for this favor I think most would ablige but someone you've never met? Highly unlikely and that's just the world we live in. I hope it worked out for LM.
Nicely said…
On another note, you have to wonder what kind of oil he uses…