House Rental from early January til end of season (next year)

durphee

I am changing the way I do my trips for NEXT YEAR and looking for some input on renting a house in the Mercer area. The plan is to rent a house for a little over 2 months, most likely beginning early January and ending when trails close mid March. Our group has decided to just pull our trailer up north, drop our sleds and gear and leave everything for the season. The plan is to send out a a bunch of bids for cost in the next several months and I will personally stop and check out the house in the spring or early summer to ensure it meets our needs. The entire rent will be paid upon signed rental agreement (yes I own several rentals so i know how these work). The criteria we are looking for are as follow:

1. Must sleep at least 6 with three bedroom minimum.
2. Must be close and/or have access to trail.
3. Must have a garage or other building on premise that we can use to store our sleds.
4. Preferably close to Mercer or in general area.
5. Must have at least 2 full bathrooms
6. Must be in good shape
7. Must be secure!
8. Must have washer and dryer that we can use.
9. Not located in town, preferably on a lake...some of us like to ice fish also.
10. A wood burning fireplace is a bonus

Almost all houses we rent have all these included but I just want to be specific. I appreciate any help or ideas. This is a good opportunity for a renter to get guaranteed income regardless of snow conditions and not to have to deal with multiple renters and cleaning throughout the winter. Feel free to PM me also.

harski

Great idea! I too have thought about this avenue many of times as it is a great way to see what it's like owning in the Northwoods. Definitely would save wear and tear on the tow rig and give you piece of mind of having a place to stay. Downside IMO is I'm afraid I'll get bored riding the same area all the time. The location such as Mercer will help as you have many directions to head so I'm sure you could find new rides each time at least for one winter. Being on a lake would be good too for fishing or letting the kids bomb around on the sleds (if the ice is safe).

bonnevier

Here's my suggestion and I bet you are already doing this. Search both VRBO or Airbnb sites to find some houses that meet your criteria. Then, reach out directly to the owner offline to work out a deal. I had friends do this the last two years in/near Jackson, WY and they wound up with a couple of great places and a price that worked for both. Owners just blocked off the dates on availability calendar.

Good luck!

teamblue

Best thing to do is contact a Realtor, They might able to find you a house to rent that is For sale. Must houses don't sell in the winter months. Good luck.