How do you measure the amount of snow that falls daily?

cmharcou

After our recent trip to Calumet, I would see reports of 2-3" of snow that day etc... However, I thought it was nearly impossible to tell how much it really snowed. The wind blows constantly and one area it would be 8" deep and others 2" deep of fresh powder. So my question is how do you accurately measure the snow on a daily basis since the wind is constantly pushing it around? Thanks

jd

Administrator
Staff member
It sure can be a challenge when the winds are howling like they have so often done this winter.

Where I am at, I am actually quite sheltered from the winds with all the trees, as well as the house and shop. I take several measurements and compute an average and also make sure that I am not doing it in a spot where the wind either loads snow or scours it. That actually can lead me to use different spots from time to time, but it is almost always in the driveway. Plus, I almost never take measurements every 6 hours as is allowed. Sometimes it is just once in a 24 hour period and sometimes 2-3 times.

I cannot even imagine trying to take measurements in an area that is exposed to the wind!

-John