How I Spent My Tuesday

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
The company that I work for gave us an opportunity today to witness SWAT Team training firsthand. I wish I could share some pictures but they don't want any of their people identified nor their tactics blabbed all over the internet. So I guess you'll have to take my word for it. This is probably the most time I've spent around that many lawmen in my lifetime. Sure, I've had my share of traffic stops but our neighborhood isn't a hive of criminal activity so this was an ideal time to meet some of the officers, ask questions, and eat pizza.

Actually, they used our group as dummies/actors for hostage training on a city bus. (I guess I make a good dummy) All things considered it was pretty darn impressive. The tactics they use in re-taking a city bus is coordinated down to the second. Each guy in the squad had a job and each one is proficient to the point of perfection. Again, it was impressive to watch these guys do what they do. Most were between the ages of 25 to 35 and in excellent shape for the kind of work they perform. They have their own medics that go in with the team and I met one of their Snipers. A nice guy as long as you're not threatening school kids or old ladies. To wrap things up, they brought in one of their K9's who proceeded to take down a bad guy dressed in one of those pillow suits. It was rumored that the guy that gets attacked by the dog is the guy with the least seniority on the team. Sound familiar?

My take-a-way at the end of the day....these guys have a tough job to do and the national media does them no favors. They see mostly the worst of society day in and day out and they do it professionally. I couldn't do what they do but I'm sure as heck glad that we have them watching over us.

Here's to the Police, Fire, and EMT's that keep us safe!

Thank you.​

mrbb

I have many friends in Swat teams in many states as well as a lot of other more elite dept in both law enforcement and military
over the yrs got to enjoy learning a lot from them as well as even having time training with them!

many of them are super dedicated to the training and rather fun folks to hang out with afterwards, some very interesting stories can be heard LOL
I'll also say this, you'd be surprised at what some them get as far as pay too, my one friend just retired about 4 ys ago, at the age of 52 and living VERY well!
amazing the difference in salaries in locations too for doing the same work!

First of all I would like to thank you for being a role player in the training. It is not always easy to find people willing to play that roll. I am a firefighter/paramedic and our department has three medics attached to the Swat team. I spent 8 years on the team and it was fantastic. All members are very professional and well trained. We would train monthly and once a year we would spend a week at Fort McCoy near Sparta Wisconsin. They allowed us and other teams to use all of the different ranges they have and mock cities that are built on site.

Glad you got to experience this training up close and meet the guys, sounds like it gave you a new perspective of what they see and go thru on a daily basis. It is true that the new guy goes in the bite suit or uses the bite sleeve. I have taken many bites over the years. Dogs hit hard and have a powerful jaw.

rph130

Hey Gary in Neenah, thanks for the positive post and comments about law enforcement in todays society. I will rarely talk about what I did for a living to people that I meet which is kind of sad because once upon a time in 1985, I was a proud young police officer. I went on the job at 21 years old, did my 30 year sentence/career and retired at 51. Throughout all of those years I saw the public perception pendulum swing back and forth many times. Early in my career we had the Rodney King circus in California and everybody hated us. Then 9/11 happened and I had people hugging me on a traffic stop thanking me for what I did. Last year was the Minneapolis black eye to law enforcement. I hope someday the tide will turn again and law enforcement will be looked at as an honorable profession because both of my children are cops and I have to see the pain that they go through when one or two or ten bad apples give the whole profession a bad name. Again, thanks for the positive light on your experience and may God bless our men and women who put that badge on everyday and serve and protect those who need then but may not want them.

pclark

Hey Gary in Neenah, thanks for the positive post and comments about law enforcement in todays society. I will rarely talk about what I did for a living to people that I meet which is kind of sad because once upon a time in 1985, I was a proud young police officer. I went on the job at 21 years old, did my 30 year sentence/career and retired at 51. Throughout all of those years I saw the public perception pendulum swing back and forth many times. Early in my career we had the Rodney King circus in California and everybody hated us. Then 9/11 happened and I had people hugging me on a traffic stop thanking me for what I did. Last year was the Minneapolis black eye to law enforcement. I hope someday the tide will turn again and law enforcement will be looked at as an honorable profession because both of my children are cops and I have to see the pain that they go through when one or two or ten bad apples give the whole profession a bad name. Again, thanks for the positive light on your experience and may God bless our men and women who put that badge on everyday and serve and protect those who need then but may not want them.
Thank you for your service. I feel for LEO's today as there is just no respect anymore. I was brought up to respect the law and we brought up our daughter to do the same. Hope more parents can actually start instilling that in their kids, world would definitely be a better place for all.

BigSix

Gary, great narrative on the SWAT Team training. Thanks for posting this.

RPH, just remember, most people appreciate and support law enforcement. Thanks to you and your kids for your dedication and service.

My dad was a patrol officer and later on the beverage tax enforcement team for the Wisconsin State Patrol. My son served in the Marine Corps. Three of my step uncles were firefighters. My brother-in-law was a sheriffs deputy. Two of my good friends were in law enforcement. Whenever I see one of those on the force or the service, I give them the thumbs up. We all enjoy the life we have because of people like these who want to 'Protect and Serve'.