How many have hit Deer this year?

xcr440

30mph into a 16" tree is a pretty good SMACK. Surprised it didn't get totalled, I would have tried to argue with the insurance company. Maybe you did, and were unsuccessful.

One question, because he swerved to miss the deer, did your insurance cover that as no fault? Usually in WI and MN you have to actually hit the little bastage and be able to show hair on the wreck for them to actually cover it that way.

landoman

I did argue with them - even went to the shop to nit pick it over with them. No go.

No idea how the insurance covered it. I did have to pay my $500 deductable and have yet to see an increase in my premiums.... so no idea.

xcr440

Bummer. If it is your only "infraction", it should have zero effect on insurance. Key word being "should".

Thanks for the reply. I've got 6,000 miles on mine so far with many years of payments to go so I'll pass on making an offer. Sounds like a real p-i-t-a with the insurance and repairs. To be that close to being totalled but not quite does suck. As new as mine is I'm sure anything short of a complete act of god would still be repairable.

I'll keep the keys away from my father-in-law!

fredster

Y'all probably know this but if not:

Hit the deer straight on and it's a comprehensive claim, usually lower deductible and you're never at fault.

Swerve to miss the deer and hit anything and it's your fault and a collision claim which usually carries a higher deductible, and adds points to your license.

I asked my insurance agent and he verified this. I always thought they said not to swerve to avoid a head-on but the fact is it usually works out better for you from an insurance standpoint, too......

jroz

Keep the front end up high. I know braking hard is a programmed response, but try to just power through them. Who knows, sometimes they fly right over the top with minimal damage.