How Many Trail Miles from Iron Mountain to Munising

doofan1

Looking at leaving from my place in Pembine WI (Just South of Iron Mountain ) and head to Munising. How many miles is this? I cant find a map that shows the entire UP with Mileage on it.

Thanks

dfattack

what route (trails) are you taking. Your particular route would decide how many miles it would be.

pe4me

We went from Townsend to Christmas (Munising) and though I dont recall exact mileage it was more about trail conditions than mileage because as you know, 100 miles of rough is like 200 miles (or more) of nice on the body. I want to say it was over 200 miles but we went up to Marquette and took the grade east out of Harvey area and had a few extra loops. We left in the morning about 9-10AM and got up there around 7 that night with a few pit stops. I was 10 years younger on a 600 Pro X and buddy was on a 800 Rev...we road hard. Even in my 30's I remember walking like I rode a horse for a week and having a sore back! (off topic: Rev to Pro-X trailing arm chassis- no comparison, WOW what a difference)
That said, it was one for the ages. Trip back was a whole other story- it was totally worth it.
I would guess from Pembine it would in the 150 mile range.

doofan1

Trail 2 to 5 towards Republic then trail 8 to Marquette Then I think its trail 417 between Marquette and Munising. the map I have at Home is not the greatest.

JeffB

^^^^This. Not sure the mileage either, but guessing 150ish? Depending on route, could be on the high side. Have done Munising to Republic plenty. Only difference is I'd take 2 to 5, then 32 towards Gwinn/Little Lake and 8 to Munising. Saves you running into Marquette/Harvey unless you want to take 417.

dfattack

I agree with Jeff B. Trail 2 to 5 (which hasn't been groomed yet in Iron Mountain 1/15) then take 32 east to 33, then on into Gwinn. from there take 8 east to munising. Not sure on the miles. I'm guessing approx. 80 to Gwinn.

kevinj

I did Wabeno to Munising last Feb. From Trump Lake to the Buckhorn was 210 miles.
Route was -- NST to Trail 2. Trail 2 east to Trail 116 north then Trail 16 east to Crystal Falls (Gas Stop).
Continued Trail 16 through Sagola then Trail 5 to 32 north to Gwinn (Gas Stop). Trail 8 the rest of the way. Buckhorn is on Trail 7 south.
This link is helpful too. Too bad it only covers a small area, but enough to help.
https://trailgenius.com/trail-genius-map/snowmobile-trails-marquette-county-mi

Another note 1 - If trail from Crystal Falls to Sagola is not groomed yet, I would take a different route. It was groomed for the 1st time just one week before our trip last year.
Note 2 - We rode this route on a Monday. However the high line trail (straight shot) for about 25 miles east of Gwinn was 2-3 foot moguls. That was the only bad section of trail that we hit. It was so rough that the group in front of lost all of their oil that was strapped to the back of one of the sleds. There was oil everywhere. The jugs just exploded.

We also hired a guide who took us out to and around Grande Island.

Snirtdawg

I just got back from there. Watersmeet to Christmas via Iron Mountain and Crystal Falls was 200 miles. We went up through Amasa, Ishpeming and through Marquette via 417.