how old were the kids when they started riding

blvette

Just wondering how old your kids were when you first took them out riding. We have a 1 1/2 old do they make helmets that small

phil4snow

I was 4 years old and from the pictures my helmet looked bigger than I was. I was known for falling asleep while riding and my head hitting my dads kill switch :)

fcat700

My kids would have been 6 and 9 when we first took them. The 6 year old in front of me and the 9 year old behind my wife.

mride460

My kids started riding 100 mile days with my wife and I at 3 and 5 years old. They are 5 and 7 now and put hour after hour on their Z120 in our large yard full of snow. I found HJC makes good small helmets for kids.

chadlyt

2.5 and 5.5 for us. They both rode in front of us for hundreds of miles.

the little one would fall asleep real quick, so we used a harness for him.

i made sure to make "special stops" for them. brought along hot cocoa in a thermos, those kids of things.

For us, my wife and i used hand held radios with the helmet setup to talk to each other. turned out to be a must.

they make HJC helmets pretty small. We ended up with large sized youth and they worked great.

j57snow

all 4 of them were around 1-2 yrs old had them ride in front, later pick up a ski boise wrapped em up good they were warmer than we where used a bike helmet heres a couple of pic,s believe from around 1993 or 94

Attachments

• 100_0130[1].jpg
    100_0130[1].jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 100_0134[1].jpg
    100_0134[1].jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 100_0137[1].jpg
    100_0137[1].jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 77

catcrazy

I started mine out at 2, I was able to find a helmet for my daughter but it really was to big . I found when my son started riding that a regular old bike helmet worked great until his lttle neck was strong enough to hold the helmet.

elf

My kids were 1 1/2 and 3. They started in a sno coach sleigh for 2 yrs and then moved up to where they were riding in front of us. The first time they rode in front there was no way we were getting them back into the sno coach!They are now 7 & 9 and for the last 3 years I'm sure they each have well over 1000 miles/year. They also have a 120 they got when the youngest was 2 1/2 and he still rides it constantly.
The key to bringing them with is always have extra gloves/socks/etc packed for them. Always have some snacks along and we almost always stop somewhwre and build a fire and cook lunch on the trail.

Doogle

I was 5 when I started going on long trips. I remember my mom putting a face mask and then a stocking cap on so the helmet would fit. My daughter is now 7 and started riding when she was 4. HJC has great helmets for kids.

andoverboyz

1 1/2 years old, the good old days of trail riding with a child that would fall asleep in middle of a ride.

This was back in '73, when we started

Attachments

• ski doo.jpg
    ski doo.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 31

zimmbob

My two girls were 5 and 7 when I started taking them on rides. Never very far. But my younger one, now 16 loves riding and is very good. The older one just never got that into it. I've taken them to the U.P. riding as well, on their own sleds. Hopefully my youngest will continue to want to ride, and I can enjoy it with her for a long time!

toolmaker

My girls were each 3 1/2 when I bought helmets for them. They do fall a sleep a lot at that age. We would stop, play and eat snow to wake up, then go again. They are now 20, 16 and still love to go riding. Oldest will be home from college Wed., should be able to get some riding in before she goes back.
"GO PACK GO"

dooski

Just put my 2 1/2 year old boy on the sled yesterday for his first "ride" this year. I had him on last year for only a lap or two around the yard. He was scared by the noise when I started up the sled which surprised me a little because he was standing by much louder running sleds at the snow show this year and it didn't bother him at all. I did not force the issue becasue I don't want to give him a complex. He has an old skidoo snow sled that looks like a snowmobile. I pushed him around for a while which he loved and was fine with me. I guess all kids move at their own pace.

3_old_jags

Ben started riding when he was 2 1/2. It was only going to be about a 15 mile ride between stops. However he decided he would give up the car seat for a sled ride back to the cabin. He rode 85 miles that day, about half of them asleep. He has been riding the last two year and can't wait to tryout his new helmet he got at the Milwaukee Snow Show.
Our group of guys talk as much about our family trips as we do our guy trips it is fun to have the kids.

Attachments

• P1010095.jpg
    P1010095.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 16
  • P1010114.jpg
    P1010114.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Kelsey's cam upnorth 124.jpg
    Kelsey's cam upnorth 124.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 2-20-09 Willow Flowage.jpg
    2-20-09 Willow Flowage.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 15

yamahauler

My daughter was 2.5 yr old. Snoforce makes a helmet that small but they are heavy for their little necks so we only would go for may 30 minutes a couple times a day. She does have her own kitty kat that grandpa bought for her and drives that around the driveway.