How to keep sledders on trail?

In Wisconsin, a homeowner whose property has a ditch in front of it cannot block the ditch-line at all. That isn't their land. Their land begins at the outermost point of the ditch line. I have stopped and spoken to landowners about this issue. I explained this to them, and the fact that if a snowmobile gets into a crash with a car because they are avoiding the blockage the landowner could open themselves up for a civil lawsuit. That usually is followed with a removal of whatever barrier is in place. I have always said, talking openly with landowners is the best policy, rather than just enforcing after the fact.

I have no idea of the scope of where the off trail riders are going but if it is a narrow spot, alleyway, back yard,etc....maybe a saw horse with a keep out or stay on trail warning would get the msg. across.

In walworth and Racine Co. we have several trails along roadsides and a few disgruntled home owners will block the trail with caution tape, snow fence, 2x4's, saw horses etc...... damnear to the pavement, which is both dangerous and illegel,....but it seems to work none the less