How was your riding season ?

snomoman

I figured I’d try to find a new niche for a new thread here, let me be the first to comment, I enjoyed the season… the first trip was our annual trip with the guys for six days in mass city, the next trip was with a person that I met on this website, that trip was outstanding too, got to see a lot of new places, a lot of neat trails and good friends to meet
thanks
snomoman

pclark

I entered the season with out even having a sled and I live in Vilas County, go figure. I was set to sit out the season because sleds were priced way over what I wanted to pay for the right one. As luck would have it I lucked into buying a nice 2017 at a great price around January 15th and spent the next two months riding mostly in Vilas. I met a great guy on this site and we rode twice, I'm sure we will ride again next winter, Thanks Jerry! My other rides were sometimes by myself or with my good buddy that lives here in MW. My last ride was this week on Monday 3/14 and it was nice, the weather took its toll the rest of the week and tomorrow is the day I put my sled away. Awesome trails this season and epic snow (see pic below) even though it came early and then we got some good February snows. This is my first year living full time up here and it was awesome, still have a good 18" of snow in my yard/woods, trails are all burned through except way back in the woods.

Now its time for some maintenance and hopefully it warms up fast and furious so the ice goes out by mid to late April. Have to give all the clubs a big thank you for great trails everywhere I rode this season.

I wanted to post some pictures but it's strange, pictures that I posted earlier this season won't even upload to the site anymore. Hopefully they can figure out something to allow pics to be uploaded again, makes posts alot more enoyable. I tried and got a few pics to upload......

On to ice fishing for the next 3 weeks and then getting ready to enjoy the lake until next season.
1647652078269.png
1647652227592.png
1647652539742.png

favoritos

Had a dang good season.
The weather pattern worked well with those consistent refreshing snows to help the grooming. Thinking back, I believe it is the first season in about five years without a rain/mist ride. Trails near the lake were the best I've seen in a long time too. The little things all added up for a great season.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mine isn't over yet. Hoping for some freshies with the next storm next week, and then hope to get a 60 degree day ride in, in April.

pclark

pclark, how many nice and quite enjoyable miles did you get on that 900 since you acquired it ?
Old Abe, I didn't get as many as one might think. Just over 700 miles for the two months that I had it and I'm OK with that. As I get older a 75-100 miles day is just fine with me now. I'm still traveling a little for work so I don't ride every week. We used to always try and do 200 miles a day when we trailered up but now that I live here I can go when I want to so I am blessed in that regard. I just ordered a taller windshield with mirrors and a trail bag that uses that LINQ system. Installing before I put it away and get the boat out. Still lots of snow out there in the forest but I just want to see blue water as soon as possible now. It was a great winter up here.

eagle1

Well had to travel for all of it but broke 1000 miles for first time in awhile. And I'd say 90% of it was all really good trails too!!
Sorry pics don't work from me.😟

dfattack

This year was much better than the last two years. Last two season could only get out two days each year and it sucked. This year managed 8 rides for almost 1,800 miles, so much better. Rode with a friend of mine as well as my son for all of those miles and am grateful for the time with him.

Trails were absolutely awesome for the most part and will echo what others said about the grooming and how good it was. The clubs did a great job maintaining them with minimal amounts of snow for weeks. Thank God for the cold temps.

Special thanks to the Blue Ox club, my local club in Florence for their excellent trails throughout the entire trail system.

Wasn't really prepared to be done riding so soon this season but I'm definitely looking forward to next year. Even potentially planning a west yellowstone trip.

euphoric1

Riding season was Awesome for me and my wife! first time in years we made it up to the U.P. more than once, first time was early, weekend of Jan 1, good snow and trails were concentrated to snow belt areas and hats off again to superior snowmobile club for their awesome grooming, traffic was not as bad as I had expected. Our normal week in mid February again...AWESOME! trails were great! last day we decided to take road trip exploration of U.P., first time seeing the northern Kee other than from trails. All in all..trails were great! never get tired of the scenery! The locals, regular stops and food were all also awesome too! was a good year for the two of us!

scoobydoo

Best season we have had in a few years. Trail conditions overall were awfully good and i ride mostly weekends. It sure was busy, the most people ive seen in a long time.

ICT Sledder

Seventeen riding days spread over three trips. Pretty good year for me. I'm anywhere from about 750 to 1000 miles from our riding spots, so I can't just do the spur-of-the-moment weekend trips. Wish I could.

Hoosier

Happy with season. Two trips. About 1,800 miles between them. First was starting in Tomahawk and rode up to Mass City and based out of there for 3 nights. Once we got up there, we hit as many trails and fireroads as we could in a smaller area instead of covering a big area. Second trip was out of Two Harbors, MN and north of there. Never rode up there before - really enjoyed it.

Only downside is the insane prices on anything - gas in truck and sled, lodging and food are all noticeably up, but what are you going to do about it? I thought I'd be looking to upgrade as I have about 5,500 on my 4 year old sled now but there's no way I can justify that right now. Hats off to the guys that can swing $15-20K for a toy but that's not me.

elf

I had a great year. Only got about 1500 miles on but they were quality miles. Snow on the north shore was excellent and the off trail got to be fantastic. Just got back from 6 days in West Yellowstone with my son and we had a great time.

goofy600

Had a good season most ever for miles 4 shy of 3100 but will find a way to get them. Also about 400-500 miles in the groomer again this year. Still have a ton of snow in the woods but that’s not really my thing if it were would have a few more weeks easy.

600_RMK_144

Our favorite place to ride (The Black Hills, SD) had the worst snow season on record. We should have adapted and chased the snow, but kept holding out for a big storm out there which never happened. One trip up to MN in blistering cold (-13) which the kid couldn't handle. LOL! Got out for one day locally (rare these days). Then we did finally get out to The Hills for one trip 2/18. The conditions were actually better than we had anticipated they would be. Thought I might be renting a sled to avoid over-heating my long track, but it never got over 135. And found some decent pow to satisfy the my son, although every time we'd take off he'd say "let's go find some more powder, Dad" (which was not easy given the conditions).

Lots of mods to the kids EVO prior to the season and they did help with his ability to carve in the snow a fair bit, but the sled is just designed to stay planted on the trails to get younger riders more confident. His sled sold last week, glad to have that taken care of and not sit on it till Fall. Plan to move him up to a proper long track next season. The other was all summerized last weekend and tucked away for the long Spring, Summer and Fall.

A couple of pics from The Hills trip...

Attachments

• canyon.jpg
    canyon.jpg
    945.6 KB · Views: 38
  • trail.jpg
    trail.jpg
    865.5 KB · Views: 37
  • powder.jpg
    powder.jpg
    892.3 KB · Views: 37