hurrah for Bergland area trails!

towtruck

our group rode 1/12 through 1/15 -stayed in Bergland- trails were great -looked like they groomed in every direction every night - we are off trail riders but used 13 102 and 8 to get to our spots and they were in great shape-way to go guys!

ss440

Trail 102 was terrible Sunday noonish!

X2, 102 was tough. But it seems you always get rewarded at the end of it when you get to trail 11!
we never saw a groomer from 1/11-1/14. We put on around 550 miles. The worst trails were 8 going towards wakefield, and 13 to Rockland. We had lots of close calls with deer. Trail 12 white pine to Onto to greenland was the best

fjr4me

I said this in another thread in "Area Conditions"

I rode on 8 from Ironwood to Bergland on Friday, January 12th and it was in great shape in the morning and then ran into the groomer coming back towards M28 on 8.

Then we rode 102 towards Silver City and it was mint at about 10:30am on Friday. I'm sure it's all about timing of when you hit a certain trail. 12 to Onto was in good shape until the last few miles into town.

In the afternoon on 13 from Rockland and back down to 8 and over to Ironwood it was rough, but with all the traffic, we expected it. Saturday we trailered out a ways since we knew it was going to be rough all over the Ironwood, Bergland, Mass areas.

The week before 8 was horrendous due to no grooming with the groomer going through into mud. And 102 was marginal.

Bottom line, I think they are getting better every week.

To the club in Bergland, thanks for the increased efforts, it was noticeable to our crew from one week to the next.

gade-thrasher

The thing they fail to talk about though are the trails that go around Lake Gogebic. Half are closed for logging, and the other half just blow due to no efforts to groom them. With the amount of fire roads and other access roads, I can't understand why the logging always takes place on the snowmobile trail. The same thing happens year after year in the Gay area. Trails closed for logging. We don't close trails in WI for logging! And when a trail is closed, MI doesn't seem to do anything to reroute - or God forbid, actually open a new trail. MI doesn't have the spideweb network of trails that WI does. So every single trail they have is a main trail. When something closes, that redirects all the traffic to another trail that already has heavy traffic. UGH!!!!

slowsi00

our group rode 1/12 through 1/15 -stayed in Bergland- trails were great -looked like they groomed in every direction every night - we are off trail riders but used 13 102 and 8 to get to our spots and they were in great shape-way to go guys!

I was there from Thursday the 11th - Sunday the 14th and it was no bueno.

best riding was well away from the berg.

blkhwkbob

The thing they fail to talk about though are the trails that go around Lake Gogebic. Half are closed for logging, and the other half just blow due to no efforts to groom them. With the amount of fire roads and other access roads, I can't understand why the logging always takes place on the snowmobile trail. The same thing happens year after year in the Gay area. Trails closed for logging. We don't close trails in WI for logging! And when a trail is closed, MI doesn't seem to do anything to reroute - or God forbid, actually open a new trail. MI doesn't have the spideweb network of trails that WI does. So every single trail they have is a main trail. When something closes, that redirects all the traffic to another trail that already has heavy traffic. UGH!!!!
Agree fully, and from what I remember the trail pass money was supposed to be used to purchase easements and land to develop new trails. Still waiting.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lol. I love it, year after year after year people complain about bumpy trails in the u.p. Well, when the MAJORITY of the midwest has no snow, what do you expect? If i was a land company, i wouldnt want smowmobiles on my logging roads either while there was active logging going on, to many sue happy people out there who dont believe in personal responsibility.

snobuilder

Lol. I love it, year after year after year people complain about bumpy trails in the u.p. Well, when the MAJORITY of the midwest has no snow, what do you expect? If i was a land company, i wouldnt want smowmobiles on my logging roads either while there was active logging going on, to many sue happy people out there who dont believe in personal responsibility.

Really?...do you get sued a lot?

dfattack

i used to think the same thing but now I also see another point to bringing it up. It's not a bad thing to comment on a section of trail not to complain but to comment so that other people can have a heads up about an area and maybe stay clear and go somewhere else that might be in better shape. I'm sure there are people who just want to complain or argue but I happen to see the comments about bumpy trails as helpful..at least for me.

towtruck

I was there from Thursday the 11th - Sunday the 14th and it was no bueno.

best riding was well away from the berg.

we found the trails great considering a 3 day weekend in a busy area- sure they were beat up a little by the end of the day but it looked like they groomed every night-I can't ask for more than that-everyone knows the best riding trails are on M-T-W-TH

kip

It is not the logging companies or the State of Michigan's responsibility to reroute trails. The local snowmobile clubs are suppose to speak with the land companies to reroute and sometimes it's too late when they make the decision to log it to get the trail rerouted. I know it's not what people want to hear but it's the truth. Just be glad they give easements period with all the abuse going on with the trails. It's never going to be perfect. I understand the frustration but we have to deal with it year after year. Lots of logging in the UP in the winter due to wet conditions. Be thankful for what we have, not what we don't have.

mezz

Bumpy trails come & go, it's a matter of timing. As Skylar pointed out in a previous post, what do you expect when we are the only area with adequate snow? A lot of folks want to ride and have to take the good with the bad. Snowmobiling is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your going to get till you get out and ride.:encouragement:-Mezz

EXCESSIVE FORCE

It is not the logging companies or the State of Michigan's responsibility to reroute trails. The local snowmobile clubs are suppose to speak with the land companies to reroute and sometimes it's too late when they make the decision to log it to get the trail rerouted. I know it's not what people want to hear but it's the truth. Just be glad they give easements period with all the abuse going on with the trails. It's never going to be perfect. I understand the frustration but we have to deal with it year after year. Lots of logging in the UP in the winter due to wet conditions. Be thankful for what we have, not what we don't have.

True statement ! After all it is THEIR PROPERTY we're lucky enough to cross....

whitedust

Exactly the same condition in northern WI loggers could not get into areas due to the extremely wet Spring and Summer.With all the cold this winter loggers are in the forest plowing and logging a lot more than usual. What can one say????... just the way of it this year. I have logging affecting me big time but just look for my own bipass or grin and bear it and ride thru it being as careful as possible.