I finally found it!

euphoric1

A while ago I had posted a request for recommendations for removing decal adhesive from the sides of an enclosed trailer I had purchased, and as expected the tips rolled in, tried them all and it seems no matter what nothing was the absolute answer, some worked better than others, some harsh and removed paint, in the end I gave up and left the stickiness which attracted dirt and looked like hell. I found a product and I have been using it around the shop to remove decal adhesive from machines and tried it on the trailer and I can tell you this stuff WORKS!!!! and leaves NO FILM behind! on some of the dried on crusty adhesive I did use a nylon brush to agitate it and took little effort and just wipe off. I'm telling you I've tried them all and this WORKS!!! North Woods Natures Blend II

mrbb

I think the main reason not all things work, is there are so many different types of adhesive's , what worked for one person doessn't for another, due to different adhesive on the sticker/decal!
but sounds like you found something that worked well for you and good share the info here!
as this stuff is new to me!
and as its always nice to have a new weapon when removing stickers!, some of them can be pretty frustrating trying to remove!

euphoric1

I think the main reason not all things work, is there are so many different types of adhesive's , what worked for one person doessn't for another, due to different adhesive on the sticker/decal!
but sounds like you found something that worked well for you and good share the info here!
as this stuff is new to me!
and as its always nice to have a new weapon when removing stickers!, some of them can be pretty frustrating trying to remove!
we use a few of their products at our shop, over all they have some nice products that work very well.

euphoric1

3m adhesive remover didn't work? That stuff is pretty hardcore.
it did but smeared it and took a bit to clean up, it more like for me softened the adhesive, it came off but not as easy as it does with Natures Blend, not harsh to use or breathe, smells citrus

mezz

Soaked with WD-40 works as well, just takes a few applications. It helps to soak paper towel as well as the surface & stick it over the adhesive area. WD-40 is relatively inexpensive & it doesn't smell bad. Just my .02.

euphoric1

That's what i use. always works for me
It did but IMO not as well as this product and mrbb is probably correct with different types of adhesives, and this stuff safe on any surface...so far. have even used it to remove sap from windshield when up north.

mrbb

its funny you mention tree sap
as last week I parked under a big pine tree to have truck in the shade, and then it rained
thought nothing of it, till a few days later I noticed I have all sorts of clear like specks on my windows(body parts too I am sure)
and it seems the pine tree had sap that bonded to rain drops, and as they covered the truck, once the water dried, it left all these tiny clear speck's look like fine water droplets, can only see them with the light just right, as there HARD , but if you run your hand/finger over things, you can feel them like super fine sand grains!
they make my wiper blades skip and squeal, at first I thought it was bad wipers, so replaced, but then noticed when the light was just right and running hand across glass(and now whole truck ) there are these sap droplets every where!

I started off with windex to remove, then went to bug and tar remover, then tried some , so called commercial grade sap remover
NOTHING took the stuff on my windows(brake cleaner did remove the STICK sap sections off body work with easy)

NEXT got more aggressive, with heavy soaking rag with GOO BE GONE< , nothing, then went to carb cleaner, brake cleaner, ZIP nothing! still there on all my glass I been trying to remove things from!
like WTF
the carb cleaner/brake cleaner removed the THICK sap with ease, but won;t touch this dried on residue sap!
this stuff/residue is like fine clear glue droplets and worse yet, the whole truck is covered in them
good news is, you cannot see them on body panels, so there not an eye sore, and it seems I can wax over them, and that helps smooth things down, but doesn;t remove them, even with a cleaner and a buffer, as tried that too)
who know's maybe it will prevent rust! trying to think positive here!

ANY how
after trying everything I had at home
I figured, since my biggest concern here is the windshield, as them squeaky skipping wipers are very annoying!

I went and got a big razor blade paint scraper, I figured since they are dry like, maybe I can scrape them off the glass without damage, using care!
added some simple DAWN dish soap, and water for a lube like deal!
and like magic the stuff comes right off super easy as could be!
wish I tried this from the get go!

and then I noticed it came off just as easy with just plain water and the razor blade working it right off! NOW Dawn needed, or any special help from it!

yet every chemical I had didnl;t touch the stuff?/

STILL not sure what to do about it all over body panels, as cannot scrape them like I can glass with a razor blade

but it solved the squeaky wiper blades that were annoying me!

so, like I said, it a lot of times comes down to what the adhesive is as to what works to remove it!!

and now ain;t parking under any pine trees sunny or not, !and all the more so if its raining!

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Been there and done that too! A couple of years ago at the end of the season I went to remove the trail pass sticker from my windshield. It left a heavy residue and I tried everything in the cabinet. Eventually, I got it off but it left a noticeable shadow and I ended up replacing the windshield. I found that for small areas a heat gun or hair dryer work well if you take your time.

ridesrx

When we teach people how to paint in the automotive refinish, world we always use this principle. A solvent based cleaner will take off solvent based contaminants, and a water based cleaner will take off the water based contaminants. A water based cleaner doesn't do well on something like tar, but a solvent based cleaner will take it right off. Conversely solvent doesn't to well on something like tree sap because tree sap is water based. We teach wiping a panel with a solvent based cleaner, followed by a water based cleaner. Finger prints come off easily with water based cleaners. but not with solvent since we humans aren't made of petroleum.

Now pretty much anything citrus based will remove adhesive. I have even had customers use citrus based air fresheners to remove adhesive. We sell a ton of 3M adhesive remover, and it works great, however as someone said above, it is quite aggressive, and is intended to be that way. Some painted surfaces and plastic won't hold up to that kind of solvent soaking. Your adhesive sounds like it was old, and sun baked which can be a real challenge for anything. Eraser wheels work great too, however the thin single stage paint on most of these trailers might not hold up the that kind of heat. I don't think mine would.

So all of this takes me to a fantastic product made by 3M called Industrial Citrus cleaner. I always have this around the house. It works on all the sticker, and trail pass decals I remove every year right off of a plastic windshield like it was never there. It is stupid expensive for an aerosol can, but heck we are all snowmobilers, we understand expense that doesn't make sense. Here is a pic of what the can looks like.

Attachments

• 3M citrus cleanerdown.png
    3M citrus cleanerdown.png
    124.3 KB · Views: 8

dfattack

It did but IMO not as well as this product and mrbb is probably correct with different types of adhesives, and this stuff safe on any surface...so far. have even used it to remove sap from windshield when up north.
have you tried it on tree sap? I have the pine tree sap on my Azek decking and nothing removes it.

euphoric1

have you tried it on tree sap? I have the pine tree sap on my Azek decking and nothing removes it.
yes, where our seasonal trailer is we are in the woods and was an exceptional year for tree sap, now they are not pine trees, but would end up over night with coating of tree sap on vehicles, outdoor furniture and it would remove it yes.

euphoric1

When we teach people how to paint in the automotive refinish, world we always use this principle. A solvent based cleaner will take off solvent based contaminants, and a water based cleaner will take off the water based contaminants. A water based cleaner doesn't do well on something like tar, but a solvent based cleaner will take it right off. Conversely solvent doesn't to well on something like tree sap because tree sap is water based. We teach wiping a panel with a solvent based cleaner, followed by a water based cleaner. Finger prints come off easily with water based cleaners. but not with solvent since we humans aren't made of petroleum.

Now pretty much anything citrus based will remove adhesive. I have even had customers use citrus based air fresheners to remove adhesive. We sell a ton of 3M adhesive remover, and it works great, however as someone said above, it is quite aggressive, and is intended to be that way. Some painted surfaces and plastic won't hold up to that kind of solvent soaking. Your adhesive sounds like it was old, and sun baked which can be a real challenge for anything. Eraser wheels work great too, however the thin single stage paint on most of these trailers might not hold up the that kind of heat. I don't think mine would.

So all of this takes me to a fantastic product made by 3M called Industrial Citrus cleaner. I always have this around the house. It works on all the sticker, and trail pass decals I remove every year right off of a plastic windshield like it was never there. It is stupid expensive for an aerosol can, but heck we are all snowmobilers, we understand expense that doesn't make sense. Here is a pic of what the can looks like.
curious to know if ingredients mimic northwoods product, lots of good info here...Thanks!