I & M Canal Trail

Can someone give a snow/trail report for this area? It looks like a good amount of snow was falling across this area and might head there this weekend to ride. I've never been there.

I just called and they said it is open for sleds. I was thinking about taking my 12year old son down there as he just got his snowmobile license and is itching to ride a trail. Anyone have input

lt250rfd

Havent been on it in years. We used to catch it at the rockdale drop and head west to Ottawa or Utica. Know there was a washed out section years ago, assume its fixed now, but you could put about 140miles round trip. Nothing crazy for trails, mostly straights along the river and canal but beats sleds sitting. Plenty of places to stop for a bite or drink along the way. Watch for deer around channahon/morris stretch, always along trail. The local LEO usually were in that area as well, just make sure your registration is good.

Tuck

ha we rode that last year for the first time, Utica to Morris and back. It will be good the 12 year old, nothing crazy like stated above for trails butt nice to get out close to home.

MKW

Hard to believe there’s more snow in Illinois than northern Wis! Weird winter..hope you guys get out and enjoy it

snomoman

Another note to consider when riding in Illinois, the DNR wants proof of insurance, so if you’re riding in Illinois make sure you’ve got your insurance with you (along with updated registration)or you could face a $500 fine, hope you and your son enjoy the ride, i’m sure there’s plenty of snow

mbo285

Another note to consider when riding in Illinois, the DNR wants proof of insurance, so if you’re riding in Illinois make sure you’ve got your insurance with you (along with updated registration)or you could face a $500 fine, hope you and your son enjoy the ride, i’m sure there’s plenty of snow
Thanks for the info, we are good to go. He's been a passenger for years and only driven in the fields and on lakes but never the trail and never in Illinois. Probably going to drop early tomorrow morning around Rockdale and head west towards Morris. I'm hoping the we can navigate around the closed sections of trail and keep going. (or until he is worn out) He already has his sled all cleaned up ready to go. If anyone is out there and sees a red Polaris 340 and a Doo XR-S that will be us.

old abe

Thanks for the info, we are good to go. He's been a passenger for years and only driven in the fields and on lakes but never the trail and never in Illinois. Probably going to drop early tomorrow morning around Rockdale and head west towards Morris. I'm hoping the we can navigate around the closed sections of trail and keep going. (or until he is worn out) He already has his sled all cleaned up ready to go. If anyone is out there and sees a red Polaris 340 and a Doo XR-S that will be us.
We rode from LaSalle to the closed section and back Thursday. Not bad, however the fluffy snow won't handle very much traffic. We thought we could work our way around the closed portion on the north side but failed as a open stream, and steep banks stopped us.

snomoman

I just want to say one more thing, make sure your youngster knows when he’s about half done so that he has the stamina to go back, just make sure you don’t push the guy because he will get a bad feeling about snowmobiling that will carry his thoughts to the future, I can’t think of a happier thing to do with your son than this, just make sure he’s happy and warm and check up on him, this is a big thing for you and we’re all behind you, good luck and God bless

dfattack

I just want to say one more thing, make sure your youngster knows when he’s about half done so that he has the stamina to go back, just make sure you don’t push the guy because he will get a bad feeling about snowmobiling that will carry his thoughts to the future, I can’t think of a happier thing to do with your son than this, just make sure he’s happy and warm and check up on him, this is a big thing for you and we’re all behind you, good luck and God bless
In bold...this even applies to adults! :p I lost a riding bud because we always ended up riding more than 125 miles a day. Oh well, I wait all year to ride and only have 2 or maybe 3 trips a year. When I'm on a trip I'm going to ride even if that means high mile days.

mbo285

Oh yeah, I already have that thought going though my head. We are going to take it nice and easy.

We have communicators so we can talk to eachother and he is fully geared up. He loves the sport and has been a great passenger for 150 mile days with me up north.

Thanks for all the advice/reminders. I’ll try and snap a pic or two with a post ride summary.

The trip was a success. Dropped this morning near rockdale and rode west. I guess all the laps on the kitty Kat, 120 and lake driving his 340 paid off.

He drove like a pro with no issues and said it was awesome and way better than doing laps around the park or on the lake. He said his arms were getting sore as we pulled into Channahon. We tried to find a place to stop for a snack but nothing seemed close or accessible without riding the road for blocks so we decided to play it safe and turn around.

I let him lead on the way back and he did great. He picked up the pace a little bit but still under control and I felt comfortable with it. We passed a few people walking on the trail and he slowed down to a crawl and passed them perfectly.

Overall It was a great first trip on a trail for him and his grin was ear to ear when he pulled his helmet off. It was only 13 miles total but well worth it!

Tried posting pics but not working

dfattack

I remember those times too with my son. Now he's 30 and leading 90% of the time.

Brought a smile to my face. Congratulations and good job!

pclark

Nice! thanks for posting pictures. Reminds me of the first time I took my daughter on a ride. We had the luxury of riding out of our property to the trial and put about 50 miles on that day. She is a little bit of a lead foot (or heavy thumb) and on the way home she lost it pulling up to a stop sign trying to brake while going to fast and rolled it. She was fine, embarrassed, I told her your not a real snowmobiler until you rolled your machine at least once! That was 18 years ago but I'll always remember it....