I39/51 can use a little grooming eh?

harski

This interstate has a few studder bumps in both directions eh?! It's knocking the tie downs off the hanger in my trailer and also a panel off the door springs! I'm glad I got rid of my F350 as I think my fillings would've fallen out by now! How's everyone else's experience driving through?

Harski

wisco-mb

Some of the worst, is when heading south, just north of Highway 8. Terrible stretch. Right when it opens to two lanes. Feel bad for trucks & trailers.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Getting off of 8 and on to 51! Holy crap, its terrible. Ive been taking 17 for the last month!

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
North bound at 10 in Stevens Point. It was bad about 5 years ago with the same problem, then they re-paved it. Now the same as before!

What the heck are we gonna complain about tomorrow....

racerx

Just noticed that section south of 8 and was thinking it would have been tougher in 3/4ton that we sold as that was stiff running empty. Good idea taking 17 although in the past we just do that route for scenic rides but will think about that next time up.

jedoyle

3 weeks ago we hit the southbound section on the way home & every tie down strap had come loose & a few of the sleds had shifted around pretty good in our enclosed trailer. I couldn't believe it since we strap them down good but evidently they couldn't survive the bucking bronco. Next time if we don't take an alternate route we will stop right after the whoops & re-check our straps.

Last edited:

harski

Yep, thought of 17 too on the way through Sunday as the truck and trailer were dancing side to side. Glad my wife wasn't with if you catch my drift as she probably wouldn't of appreciated it either! :welcoming: Hwy 17 may be a few minutes longer but my kidney's and trailer can use a break so I'll give it a shot this weekend! LOL! Can't believe Stevens Point too! I suppose the summer/fall rains have taken a toll along with the temperature swings. Kind of a bummer but what do you do when we have that scratch to itch!

Harski

ridindirty800

Getting off of 8 and on to 51! Holy crap, its terrible. Ive been taking 17 for the last month!

Skylar is 17 a lot better? I Will be coming up 51 next week to twin lakes and if i can would rather take something different even if if it adds on sometime! Thanks

Other options would be to take 45 up? Anybody know how that is??

1fujifilm

This interstate has a few studder bumps in both directions eh?! It's knocking the tie downs off the hanger in my trailer and also a panel off the door springs! I'm glad I got rid of my F350 as I think my fillings would've fallen out by now! How's everyone else's experience driving through?

Harski

Roads..what can we say; worse every year.
Is it to early to get out that grinder machine that grinds down the asphalt bumps??

There is a local Asphalt guy in the Green Bay, WI area that's has a slogan; "it's not your fault, it's asphalt". There is another saying that my Brother in law says about asphalt but it is too "much" to state here.

Bear

DooZ

The worst stretch is 51 SB from 8 to Hwy S (southern most Tomahawk exit). Drive it 5 days a week and just waiting for my truck to shake itself apart. The same stretch NB is fine...weird
I like the toll idea, charge $100.00 to every northbound vehicle on I90 & I94 at the WI/IL border....lol j/k

blkhwkbob

Nah, thats a lie. Look at Illanoise fine tollroads, they are junk and need to be rebuilt every 5 years.
Not much can stand up to the traffic those roads see. There has to be thousands of vehicles every day just of Wisconsin people coming down here to look for good jobs.

Swampy

The worst stretch is 51 SB from 8 to Hwy S (southern most Tomahawk exit). Drive it 5 days a week and just waiting for my truck to shake itself apart. The same stretch NB is fine...weird
I'm thinking they might be trying to get more people to go through Tomahawk like the old days and spend some money. Get off on Hwy 8 and take a senic run through town. I can remember when I was a kid coming back to Tomahawk over the 4th and getting stuck in the parade pulling a camper with a mattress tied to the top... we waved. lol

harski

Roads..what can we say; worse every year.
Is it to early to get out that grinder machine that grinds down the asphalt bumps??

There is a local Asphalt guy in the Green Bay, WI area that's has a slogan; "it's not your fault, it's asphalt". There is another saying that my Brother in law says about asphalt but it is too "much" to state here.

It's all part of living in the midwest I guess. We have some local roads here too that are not so fun to drive over. My wife said the the other day, "why do we stay in the midwest if we're going to live in limbo all winter? Is it going to snow, rain, or what? We should just move somewhere south.". My reply to her was "doesn't it all go away the moment we get on the sled and into the backwoods?". She gave the the "whatever" look.....LOL! She does have a point....been tough to live in the midwest for sure these later years.....

Well, plan B went into effect yesterday so I get the privilege of riding this wonderful stretch both ways this weekend! I might have to hit the Tomahawk scenic route as Swampy mentioned and take the kids to DQ! I'm sure they won't mind and neither will my vehicle and trailer!

Harski

DooZ

I'm thinking they might be trying to get more people to go through Tomahawk like the old days and spend some money. Get off on Hwy 8 and take a senic run through town. I can remember when I was a kid coming back to Tomahawk over the 4th and getting stuck in the parade pulling a camper with a mattress tied to the top... we waved. lol
LOL
Well it appears one benefit to the warmer days lately is the SB right lane seems to be settling out some. Don't get me wrong it's still nothing great, but my fillings are intact this week...lol. Left lane still sucks

frnash

Roads..what can we say; worse every year. …
There is a local Asphalt guy in the Green Bay, WI area that's has a slogan; "it's not your fault, it's asphalt".
Do ya 'spose this (click →) Rubberized asphalt would work in da nort' woods?

Use of rubberized asphalt as a pavement material was pioneered by the city of Phoenix, Arizona in the 1960s because of its high durability. Since then it has garnered interest for its ability to reduce road noise.

In 2003 the Arizona Department of Transportation began a three-year, $34-million Quiet Pavement Pilot Program, in cooperation with the Federal Highway Administration to determine if sound walls can be replaced by rubberized asphalt to reduce noise alongside highways. After about one year it was determined that asphalt rubber overlays resulted in up to 12 decibels of in road noise reduction, with a typical reduction of 7 to 9 decibels.

Arizona has been the leader in using rubberized asphalt, but California, Florida, Texas, and South Carolina are also using asphalt rubber. Tests are currently underway in other parts of the United States to determine the durability of rubberized asphalt in northern climates, including a 1.3 mile stretch of Interstate 405 in Bellevue and Kirkland, Washington and a handful of local roads in the city of Colorado Springs, Colorado.

It sure has worked well in Phoenix. The whisper quiet roadways were quite a noticeable improvement. It also was a great use of mountains of discarded tires!