Ice Road Fishing

skiroule

With Canada continuing to maintain testing requirements for entry into Canada , it sounds like there are tentative plans to build another ice road to the NW Angle this winter.

Not sure if it will happen, but the previous road that was built in 2021 was an impressive undertaking to build and maintain.

Here is a short video about that road and the need for building it.

Last edited:

mezz

Impressive to say the least. It's too bad that they have to go to such measures in order to maintain their livelyhood. Has that boarder opened since?

skiroule

Canada land crossings opened for Americans in August, subject to pre-entry criteria, including a negative COVID test within 72 hrs. of crossing and “fully” vaccinated proof. While these requirements were eventually relaxed somewhat for Angle residents so they could come to Warroad/Roseau, etc. and return home without being tested, the requirements remained in place for visitors to the Angle and continue to be in place.

Although probably not unreasonable for visitors staying in Canada for a period of time, the pre-entry criteria seem extreme for people driving through 40 miles of largely uninhabited wilderness only to re-enter to the U.S at the Angle. What’s unknown to me is whether American visitors returning from the Angle must meet the Canadian requirements again since they have to enter Canada to get home. I believe the crossing point between Canada and the Angle isn’t a manned crossing so maybe not.

In any case, the current Canadian policy is no doubt still hurting businesses up there so maybe that’s why there’s talk of another ice road. Even though the road fee isn’t cheap, it’s a lot cheaper for a group of fishermen than paying out $100 each for a COVID test, not to mention avoiding all the other paperwork.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reminds me of the TV show, Ice Road Truckers. I could watch it for hours and the wife thought I was nuts. Maybe so, I think it was the challenges they had working in the snow and cold. Reminds me of the times I've had of working in the elements when things don't cooperate.

Ice Road Truckers.jpg

skiroule

I have to confess that I've spent my share of time in a recliner watching trucks drive over ice and frozen roads. Personally, I think Season 1 out of Yellowknife was the best of the lot. It had less personality drama and more ice driving than some of the follow-on seasons. I actually have the video cassette (yes, cassette) of the first season.

skiroule

From what I understand, the ice road was supposed to open this morning, roughly 37 miles on the ice this year. Price has gone up though, think it’s $250/vehicle for a single round trip.

Ice_Road_1.jpg

Why pay that much one might ask? Ice fishing around the Angle is a totally different experience than the south end. Lots more structure and a much better chance to catch more varieties of fish, including Muskies and Crappies. Not to mention getting away from the several thousand fish houses that invade the southern part of the lake.

mezz

This made our local TV6 news last night. Nice to have known of it's existence ahead of the local news. Sometimes you get "current events" information or should I say "the latest snow scoop" in places you might never expect, that being right here. :cool: