Illinois Snowmobile Registration

snomoman

I just renewed my three year snowmobile sticker registration, and as everything else the price has gone up, I remember paying $12 for three years, then it went to $36 for three years now it’s $45 for three years plus service and convenience fees for a total of $50.29, in Illinois they don’t send renewal notices in the mail which has been that way for some time now, Couldn’t use my iPhone to renew, I had to get on an old desktop computer, there’s some glitches in the system that don’t allow iPhone usage at least for me

Highflyer

$50 for 3 years sounds pretty cheap for anything in the state of IL. Of course I can't think of any good reason why anyone would want to register sleds in Illinois unless they live along the Wi/IL border. The trail system around Aurora is terrible :)

snomoman

I don’t think I’ve ever ridden any trails in the Aurora area, when we get decent snow I go west to Rockford in that area, you got to register your sled somewhere unless you want a nice juicy ticket, I have been pulled over by the DNR in the Rockford area, they were looking more for Insurance than anything, if you can’t prove you have insurance it’s a $500 fine in Illinois

jakester

I will be renewing one of my sleds that has to be updated,I wish both were the same year but they aren't. I don't have a problem with the fee. I also belong to the Richmond Trailblazers and we pay a $25 a year membership. Both worth it if you ride in northern IL.and southern Wisconsin. When we have snow like last year our trails were groomed and maintained by great volunteers from all the clubs.I also pay $50 for Wisconsin. We connect with Wisconsin at the state lines. I feel that the plates for the trailer are out of hand, costing $118 for a two place. I've been doing this for over forty years and made some of the best friends you could ever hope to meet! Hopefully we will have another good year.

Highflyer

I don’t think I’ve ever ridden any trails in the Aurora area, when we get decent snow I go west to Rockford in that area, you got to register your sled somewhere unless you want a nice juicy ticket, I have been pulled over by the DNR in the Rockford area, they were looking more for Insurance than anything, if you can’t prove you have insurance it’s a $500 fine in Illinois

I was using sarcasm. I'm pretty sure Aurora doesn't have any trails. most likely need to go an hour north for any trails. I haven't registered a sled in IL for about 20 years. Wisconsin gets my registration money.

old abe

$50 for 3 years sounds pretty cheap for anything in the state of IL. Of course I can't think of any good reason why anyone would want to register sleds in Illinois unless they live along the Wi/IL border. The trail system around Aurora is terrible :)

Yeah well it's not nearly as good as it was 30, 40, 50 years ago! This is directly due to the continually, worsening, lack of snowfall. Just as all of the central part of the country snow play states. It was nothing to find 3, to 4 ft of snow on the ground in west central Wis. Some of the very best riding areas anywhere! Next to nothing snows there now days, sadly to say. However, North, and West, Illinois last year reminded of those "Good Old Years" for sure! Matter of fact, I rate it as the very best ever here, eh! Absolutely Awesome conditions, on, or off trail! Never better, and not on the trailer once in over 8 weeks straight riding! And with the Covid, it was a God Blessing! You don't realize what you have missed, perhaps your young age has to do with it? Sad, but so it is! I can't wait for a another year as last year was in our area!

- - - Updated - - -

Just the same as your vehicles!

Highflyer

Yeah well it's not nearly as good as it was 30, 40, 50 years ago! This is directly due to the continually, worsening, lack of snowfall. Just as all of the central part of the country snow play states. It was nothing to find 3, to 4 ft of snow on the ground in west central Wis. Some of the very best riding areas anywhere! Next to nothing snows there now days, sadly to say. However, North, and West, Illinois last year reminded of those "Good Old Years" for sure! Matter of fact, I rate it as the very best ever here, eh! Absolutely Awesome conditions, on, or off trail! Never better, and not on the trailer once in over 8 weeks straight riding! And with the Covid, it was a God Blessing! You don't realize what you have missed, perhaps your young age has to do with it? Sad, but so it is! I can't wait for a another year as last year was in our area!

I hear what your saying.....I just just joking about this guy being from Aurora and the lack of trail system. Aurora is a city of 200k people, you won't find a snowmobile trail system there. I'm from IL and have not kept my sled in the state for over 30 years. As great as it might have been last year for you it will never compare to the trail systems in Northern wisconsin in my opinion. The hassle saved of never trailing my sleds will always win out over a few weekend of riding in IL

snomoman

Circling the wagons back around again on this thread….not that it really matters to me or anyone else but Aurora and North Aurora are two different cities, and at one time we did have snowmobile trails in Kane County, you could ride snowmobiles on some prairie paths, but it was very short-lived and you didn’t go very far, we used to ride along butterfield road back and forth a few decades ago, a step above l guess from doing circles in your backyard, times sure have changed, some good, some not so good