Important news from the Washington Post

mezz

The Arctic Ocean is warming up, icebergs are growing scarcer an in some places, the seals are finding the water too hot according to a report to the Commerce Department yesterday from the Consulate at Bergen, Norway.

Reports from fisherman, seal hunters & explorers all point to a radical change in climate conditions & hitherto unheard of temeratures in the Arctic zone.
Exploration expeditions report that scarcely any ice has been met as far north as 81 degrees 29 minutes. Soundings to a depth of 3100 meters showed the gulf stream still very warm. Great masses of ice have been replaced by moraines of earth & stones & well known glaciers have entirely disappeared.

Very few seals & no white fish are found in the eastern Arctic, while vast shoals of herring & smelt which have never before ventured so far north are still being encountered in the old seal fishing grounds. Within a few years it is predicted that due to the ice melt the sea will rise & make coastal cities unihabitable.

I must apologize, as I neglected to mention that this report was from November 2, 1922 as reported by the Associated Press & published in the Washington Post 99 years ago. This grave concern must have been caused by the Ford Model T emissions & horse & cattle farts.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
You had me right up until the last two lines. Nevertheless, our elevation from sea level is around 820 feet so I ain't movin!

gpt

This was actually published in the Washington Post November 2, 1922. Of course today they blame it on a localized occurance.

meoget

I remember when I was a kid in the 80's, I was told we were going to have an ice age. I was so excited that I would be able to ride my snowmobile to school all year in Detroit (the whims of a childs mind, haha). Yeah, well, that never happened and I had to move to the keweenaw for snow. Still waiting for that ice age.

Reactions: gpt