In-Line Trailer Question...

snobinge

What is the smallest size you can get 3 mtn sleds in? Mainly 144" and 153" Sleds? I was hoping a 16' would work. Thanks for the advice.

mjkaliszak

I don't have 3 mtn sleds but just get 3 shorties in a 16fter. You could be creative with packing them but I would think, like said above... 18ft would be ideal.
JIMO

witz

I have a Triton 18' (+5' nose) and I wouldn't want any smaller to put 144" sleds in. I've put 3 136" sleds in it and it works, but I don't see that fitting in a 16' trailer too well.

tyeeman

We have 25' (including Vee front), I wouldn't go any smaller than that. We put 3 136s in it and there's room to spare. Actually we put 4 136s in very comfortably. I think it was only a couple hando more than a 23 footer, , well worth it in my mind.

snobinge

I realize an 18' or longer would be ideal, but I want to go as small as possible for storage and towing reasons. I ocassionally pull with a 6 cylinder 4 runner. Anyone have any experience fitting 3 mtn sleds in a 16'?

snobinge

Brother has pick-up...that is for the 4th sled. Most of the time we trailer 2 sleds, but it would be nice to have the ability to put 4 guys in the truck, 3 sleds in the in-line and the 4th sled in the pick-up.

cuzzinolaf

Brother has pick-up...that is for the 4th sled. Most of the time we trailer 2 sleds, but it would be nice to have the ability to put 4 guys in the truck, 3 sleds in the in-line and the 4th sled in the pick-up.

Everything I read said a 14' for two long tracks... possibly a 12' but just a few inches in width made a huge difference. I would think you need an 18' box with a 5' V-nose to fit three without having to remove a ski or have them all face the same direction. Andy's inline is a 29' total and we can fit 4 comfortably in it.

Another thing to think about with a v-nose trailer is the sled in the bed. If it is a 6' bed one sled will hang out a decent amount. If the trailer has a short tongue you'll rub or maybe not even fit.

Hoosier

what do you pull these kinds of inlines with? Just wondering how small of a vehicle you can get away with...I saw a comment about a 4 runner.

mvedepo

The 4-runner tows around 5000. Though I have learned that just because it's legal doesn't mean it's a good idea. The minimum vehicle that I would comfortably tow my trailer is would be a 1/2 ton.
I tow a 16' inline with an F-350 and Yukon XL. Though I have towed with an 05 Expedition and 07 Tundra.

truck_and_trailer4.jpg

Last edited:

snobinge

I have an 04' 4runner that I believe is rated for 5500#. I do realize ratings can be taken for what their worth. It is not my main tow vehicle as I also have an Armada and my brother has a 1/2 ton Chevy. I can say that I use the 4runner occasionally to pull my 21' Mastercraft as well as our Triton Clamshell and it has been rock solid.

mvedepo

Yes it is and not a chance. There's not much room left with a 144, 136, and 121. I had 2 x 144's in it and there wasn't a lot of room left. I don't think I could have even gotten a 121 in with the 144's.

mvedepo

I have an 04' 4runner that I believe is rated for 5500#. I do realize ratings can be taken for what their worth. It is not my main tow vehicle as I also have an Armada and my brother has a 1/2 ton Chevy. I can say that I use the 4runner occasionally to pull my 21' Mastercraft as well as our Triton Clamshell and it has been rock solid.

I think the 2 place is perfect for the 4Runner. There is a big difference between pulling a 3500# trailer in the winter on less than stellar roads opposed to summer. I can tell you that even with my Tundra there were times the trailer was doing everything it could to drive the truck. The heavier 350 is noticeably better.

peter

Get the measurements of trailer and take some tape to make a outline of trailer in driveway and try to put sleds within those measurement you will know what kind of room you have to work with

700classic

I'm sure your 4runner could pull it. Just remember you don't need to pull it 80 mph. Slow and steady will get you there.

polarisrider1

Get the measurements of trailer and take some tape to make a outline of trailer in driveway and try to put sleds within those measurement you will know what kind of room you have to work with

By far the best answer ever to this annual question of will it fit! Thank you Peter.

snobinge

I did do the tape out the dimensions thing when trying to figure out how small I could go with a 2 place. I know am considering a 3 place. Problem is I don't have 3 sleds at my place.