Info for crystal falls, florence, iron mountain areas

Clintondf

Im looking for any info or input for these areas. Wife and i looking for a location to ride out of. Never stayed in this area before so am unfamiliar with whats good for lodging food gas etc. Probably will only ride around 125 miles a day or so depending on conditions. Planning to head up Thursday morning.
Am considering maybe staying in landolakes if need be. Im more familiar with that area atleast in the michigan side. How are the lake crossings/ice conditions in that area in the area? Thanks

packerlandrider

If you like the thought of being able to make loops in all four directions and have the trails to yourselves (even on a weekend), then Florence is a great spot to base out of! Last weekend I spent 1.5 days riding out of Florence and it felt like midweek with how few other snowmobiles we met and how good the trails were (90% very good - excellent).

We stayed overnight at the Nicolet Lodge in Florence - conveniently located right on a trail intersection and also right next to a gas station. It's a little out dated in some aspects, but was cheap and clean (and like I said, location couldn't be beat). There is a bit fancier BnB in Florence I've heard good things about, otherwise more chain style hotels in Iron Mountain if you and your wife want to go that route.

Friday afternoon we rode a 94 mile loop from Florence - Tipler - Alvin - Iron River - Florence. Stopped at Riverside in Iron River for some great pizza. Rode the first 40 miles without meeting another sled, and probably saw a total of 15 others on the entire ride that afternoon - evening. One swamp closer to Tipler hadn't been gone through yet, but otherwise most of the ride was on very recently groomed trails.

Saturday woke up to 4-6+ inches of fresh snow and made a 119 mile loop from Florence - Iron Mountain - Felch - Sagola - Crystal Falls - Florence. Despite being a Saturday, didn't see another snowmobile the entire 45 miles from east of Iron Mountain all the way to Felch; we broke trail on the 20 miles of trail 111. Had lunch in Felch at Solbergs; another great meal and a place I've seen recommended by multiple people on this site. There was about 15 miles of swamp sections in the Felch area which hadn't been groomed yet, but they should have been groomed at some point this week (all packed down and froze in last weekend).

While we made loops NW and NE of Florence last weekend, I've been reading nothing but good reports from the areas south of Florence as well (Dunbar / Armstrong Creek areas). It's a wonderful area with minimal traffic but still having enough pit stops (food/gas) if needed to piece multiple stops together in a ride.

From Florence, the following towns have good food / convenient gas stops:
-Dunbar (North Country Inn food and gas)
-Armstrong Creek (four different pub and grills, Green Shack is our favorite, two gas stations on the trail)
-Tipler (White Tail food and gas)
-Iron River (numerous gas / food stops within a couple blocks of the trail)
-Amasa (Tall Pines for gas, have yet to be in either of the bars)
-Felch (Solbergs for food)
-Sagola (not exactly convenient but if needed, gas station a mile north of the trail on M95)
-Crystal Falls has numerous options for food/gas, just not as convenient to get to by snowmobile as others listed above.

Last edited:

Clintondf

Great report, exactly what I was looking for. I will look into the lodging you stayed in. Coming from central Indiana and was planning originally on the northern lower portion of Michigan but that’s not looking too good at this point. And I just got back from the Munising area so I was looking for something different and an area I haven’t really rode much at all before. Already have Michigan permits, will just need to get some Wisconsin permits when we get there. I will let you know if I have any more questions. Thanks again!

dfattack

I agree with everything packelandrider says. I have a place in Florence (Spread Eagle) and this is where I do most of my riding. In fact, after I'm finished typing this I'm heading up with the family to ride next Monday thru Thursday. I would add that if you want to stay in Iron Mountain at a newer hotel the Holiday Inn express is very close to the trail.

In addition if you wanted to stay in Iron River the AmericInn is literally right on the trail.

Packerlandrider's comments about traffic is not a one time deal. It's always low traffic and when the snow is good (Like now) you can't beat the area. Florence usually does a great job with their trails and so does most if not all the surrounding clubs. The low traffic no doubt helps with this, but the fact remains that everything between our two posts is the norm, not the exception other than groomers being in for repair, etc.

I'm happy to suggest the area because local businesses could really use the help but on the other hand I really enjoy the trail system all to myself when I'm up there. Kinda like the off trail guys not wanting to give up their secret locations :joyous:

Check out the Chuckwagon in Spread Eagle for lunch or dinner, nice place. I've been going there literally all of my life. I know locals that can help with any mechanical issues with the sleds or even vehicles if you need assistance with anything. PM me if you need any additional information.

Clintondf

Awesome. Ive sent out a couple emails to the b&b, nicolet and one other over in long lake. Thanks for all the information. Much appreciated!

tbone99

Loggers in tipler great food also. Right on the grade. Dennis the owner. Great guy I will be making it a normal stop. This area is great and a ton of forest roads to ride too

lt250rfd

X2 with what packerlandrider and dfattack said, our go to area when kiddos not with. Have had family stay at the nicolet, great hub/junction to base out of with variety of trails to hit whether its wiscony or Michigan.

Clintondf

Trails excellent. All groomed. No sleds. As in none. Got about 30 miles in so far. Eating at chuckwagon now. Place is packed but we are the only sledders here. And we are the only people at the nicolet lodge too. Nice that wisconsin trails still have a few additional trail signs/markers for turns etc. I dont need them but they are nice for the inexperienced rider like my wife. Think the hardest decision we will have tomorrow is which fish fry to hit up for supper.