Info on a neo trailer

2003polaris

Does anyone have a Neo trailer, if so do you have a spring or torsion axle? Big price difference, is a spring axle still good? Looking at a 7x26 or 7x24. I own a 133.5 and a 121 track, want extra room for a third sled. Can you give me some info if you own one. I have owned R&R I'm done with them. Thanks

garyl62

This was my first season with my NEO. I have a 7X22 with a spring axle. Biggest group of sleds I hauled was a 144, 141, and 129 and they all fit without fine without even thinking about what order to load, or doing anything other than just driving them in. If your just looking for room for a third sled I wouldn't go to the 26 unless you plan to haul 4 sleds some of the time and don't mind pulling that size trailer all the time even when you don't need it. I have plenty of other room for gear too, we use plastic bins and easily had 6 bins in there plus tool boxes, oil, and other stuff. Never thought about the spring axle at all, so can't really say it was good or bad since I didn't have anything to compare to, but it pulls great, rides smooth and never gave me any reason for concern. I thought the price difference was about $225 per axle so that's only $450 if you really want it, but I could be wrong as I never really considered it.

snake

I own a 26' in line neo with leaf springs=rides fine and trailers great.I had the same concerns with the axles and I came to the conclusion that leaf springs have been around a long time and have always got the job done. also=leaf springs are easier to change out and more available along your travels.you will not be able to tell the difference when trailering,at least I cant.johns trailers in Indiana gave me a good price

poprivetus

I own a 22' Neo with leaf springs. Previously I had a 18' Expedition with torsion axles. Can say I've really noticed a difference. I drive in Michigan, where the roads are more comparable to wagon trails, and have had no problems either with the trailer or the sleds. BTW, I can haul three 141" and one 126" sled in the 22 footer with room for gas and totes.

garyl62

I own a 22' Neo with leaf springs. Previously I had a 18' Expedition with torsion axles. Can say I've really noticed a difference. I drive in Michigan, where the roads are more comparable to wagon trails, and have had no problems either with the trailer or the sleds. BTW, I can haul three 141" and one 126" sled in the 22 footer with room for gas and totes.

Did you mean to say you can, or can't notice a difference?

Also how did you get four sleds in? Do you have a 7' or 7 1/2' wide? I have a 7 X 22 and don't see our I could have added a forth sled without really don't some creative things even then I'm not sure it would fit.

polarisrider1

Just pulled a 7x26 Neo out to Tog and back with a Suburban with a 5.7. Hauled 3 long tracks and a ton of gear. No sway bars. Forgot it was behind us. Added features is 16" OC and 6" taller ceiling and torsion axles. Spray foamed seamless sidewalls. Bought at Novi show from Johns trailer. I have a. R&R that is total junk compared to the Neo.

ezra

what MPG towing ?and how fast do u roll. when yanking a neo extra tall 22+v 8.5 rolling 75/80 the 5.0 gets 7.9mpg and my buds 10 diesel gets 10mpg .have the spring suspension and think it works fine. no issues in 2.5 yrs

saber1

just curious what issues did you have with R&R looking in the future for a trailer and was considering them

2003polaris

I"m on my second R&R trailer, not very happy with it. I was looking for any info on NEO trailers. Not sure what size to get, want to haul at least three sleds. My first trailer leaked a lot on the roof, I fixed it myself. Any more people out there with NEO trailers? Thanks

polarisrider1

what MPG towing ?and how fast do u roll. when yanking a neo extra tall 22+v 8.5 rolling 75/80 the 5.0 gets 7.9mpg and my buds 10 diesel gets 10mpg .have the spring suspension and think it works fine. no issues in 2.5 yrs

We got 9.2 out on 80 with head and side wind. 9.8 coming home. running 70 to 75mph most the time no wind except between Cheyenne and Laramie with side wind gusts of 35mph. Last time out I got 10.1 with 2 place clam shell.

polarisrider1

just curious what issues did you have with R&R looking in the future for a trailer and was considering them

I will fill pages on all the issues. It is a 12' clamshell. Main issue is aluminum welds breaking, clam shell lid shocks leaked out oil on both lid shocks. R&R was happy to sell me new ones. trailer is not balanced at all so bought a ramp to load sleds. Takes two big guys to get it to tilt when empty. Lights pop out of the ever so thin aluminum so I caulked them in. wiring rubs everywhere, front hatch latches free wheel and corroded right out of the box. clam shell brackets replaced up to two times a winter. galvanized hinges and aluminum trailers don't mix. the clamp downs rust and break off. I installed the snobunge brand kwik clamps to remedy that. The top looks like it has been shot by buck shot just from acorns falling out of the trees on it. No vents so moisture is trapped inside. roof is flat and has to be shoveled off to open only to find the rubber strip is frozen to the rotting deck. trailer is 4 years old. need more? Up side of trailer......It was all nice and shiny when I bought it.

poprivetus

Garyl62, I didn't notice a difference between the torsion and leaf spring axles. The NEO rides fine on leaf springs. As far as loading the sleds I put one 141 facing forward on the right side and the 126 backed in along side it. Then the other two 141's behind them, one forward, one backwards. Since the front ramp is on the left I have to unload the rear sleds first.

snobuilder

I have the 18' box plus v-nose and haul 2- 121's and a 136, 2 are Yamaha 4 strokes.
Equipped with leaf springs. 6.0 chebby gets between 10.5 and 12 mpg....Better than I got pulling an enclosed aluminum 2 place.
I really like the single point latch on ramp doors and flip down "hingeless" ramp extension.
This trailer pulls great and being able to see past it with stock truck mirrors is much safer.

Only disappointment was the plastic side door hold open broke.

I got a chance to wash it and it looks like the aluminum will need a thorough cleaning with some sorta polish. .

garyl62

I have the 18' box plus v-nose

Only disappointment was the plastic side door hold open broke. .

Same trailer I have, my disappointment was the small aluminum corner guard on the edge of the floor at both ramp entrances. First or second time driving over it the carbides started to pull it off. Not enough screws holding it in place in my mind.

snobuilder

Same trailer I have, my disappointment was the small aluminum corner guard on the edge of the floor at both ramp entrances. First or second time driving over it the carbides started to pull it off. Not enough screws holding it in place in my mind.

OK, yes, that alum. angle was too small/lightweight. I forgot about it. I took off the Advantech floor at the ramps and cut a 45 deg. bevel on the floor and door edge so the carbides don't catch.

poprivetus

The only problem I've had with my Neo trailer is that the screws that attach the hinge to the wood ramp extension have started to pull away, just like they did on my last trailer. When the ramp is up and latched I believe the extension bounces and loosens the screws.
Is there a better way to mount the ramp extension hinges? Has anyone tried flush styled nuts (tee nuts??). Anything else that may work? Suprised that the manufacturers have not resolved this problem.

snobuilder

The only problem I've had with my Neo trailer is that the screws that attach the hinge to the wood ramp extension have started to pull away, just like they did on my last trailer. When the ramp is up and latched I believe the extension bounces and loosens the screws.
Is there a better way to mount the ramp extension hinges? Has anyone tried flush styled nuts (tee nuts??). Anything else that may work? Suprised that the manufacturers have not resolved this problem.

How old is your Neo trailer?
The new ones feature hingeless pivots that are welded on the outside of the ramp extension.

garyl62

What the better roof option flat or round or any other must have

Thanks

Great question. I almost bought the "limited" edition John's Trailers sells which is a round top and really bottom dollar. Problem was I wanted to add a few things that weren't available as that model is kind of a pre-set, very few changes available, package. So then I switched to the flat top pre season special and got what I wanted for just a few dollars more. Was thinking the round top would be nice with the extra couple inches of headroom, but I didn't get to the point of trying it out. I'm not going back now, but it would be interesting to hear why other people choose the style they did.