Info on a Subaru??

Banjo Man

Got my wife a 2013 Outback in May and is our 1st also. Coming off a 05 Highlander did notice a downgrade in the ride but the suspension is quite a bit tighter. Handling in the snow is great and mileage around 29mph.

Magnumb

With there engines being boxers and laying horizontal, not chaging the coolant can cause head gaslets to fail.
The coolant turns acidic and can start eating away at the gaskets and can cause a head gasket to fail.

I just bought a 2013 Legacy and i'm enjoying this car, i put 6,000 miles on. CVT drivetrain is among the best, great visabilty all around, very solid feeling car, i'm getting 27 mpg combined. Can fit 4 people comfortably, i'm 6'7" and can just about fit behind myslef. great resale value, AWD system is one of best, audi might have a slight edge. oil filter is on the top, with an extractor i can change the oil in about 15 min. subaru accident avoidance system was ranted 1st by IIH and it's a top safety pick. Harmon/Kardon sound system is a good, bluetooth pairing was easy. The stock tires suck and suspension is little firm, but it handles corners well. Paid 23,500 for a limted.

garyl62

Thanks for the replies so far. I know I stated my budget, and after doing some searching, it looks like I'd be looking at cars in the 2000-maybe 2003 range so nothing new. Most have 150-200,000.

I did Google the head gasket issue and it seems they go more often than not, but not always. Looks like the cost to repair is 800-2000. Not something I'm too excited to take a chance on not knowing the history of what I'd be getting, but still thinking about them.

Looking at other things like Escapes, Blazers, Explorer's, even extended cab trucks, but those don't fit the budget normally. Any other ideas out there, or more insight into the Subaru's?

anonomoose

If you do buy one, for crying out loud, be sure to change out the coolant. I would also add the "conditioner" which sounds alot like barsleak to me. Seals up tiny leakages.

Hey, the kid will just bash it up anyway, so relax....should you get so lucky as to get the longevity, it will be a plus.

renegade600

I build hot rods and musclecars in my spare time/hobby, even have built a car or two for others.....basically Ford Mustang guy or small block Chevy powered anything...

Built my son a '90 mustang with a cage and nitrous for a high school car...many of his friends bought or were into Subarus.

Last year he bought an '04 Impreza RS, and it was a great little car, high miles, always ran even though it was a little beat up.... a couple of months ago he sold that car and bought a '04 WRX with Invidia downpipe, exhaust, Cobb intake, stage 2 tune, etc., etc.

The car flat out rocks, is fast, reliable, and slides in the snow to a fun factor of 10...... I'm sold...

My buddy is currently rebuilding an engine for an '02 WRX and they are pretty simple, we assembled the bottem end and cases the other night, and they are a very well thought out engine.

Couple of things they need, are a timing belt at about 100K, watch the head gaskets, and the other things noted above.... they give great mileage for many miles...they also hold a good value for re-sale. I've started my search for my own for a work car..... :)

Hoosier

Can you tow anything with them - say a 2 place clamshell? I thought the AWD might help. I know they're 4 bangers mostly...

dblshock

lota '00 '01 Buicks with low miles driven by adults out there..less than $3k...my bro just bought a Park Ave 115k $2700 really nice...these 3.8 are known to go high miles.

With that budget this is where I'd be looking.

Magnumb

Just sugested regal with a 3.8 to my nephew. Does not look like too much of an old mans car and the 3.8 is a great engine.

lota '00 '01 Buicks with low miles driven by adults out there..less than $3k...my bro just bought a Park Ave 115k $2700 really nice...these 3.8 are known to go high miles.

With that budget this is where I'd be looking.

millertime

My wife drives a 2010 Outback limited and it has been a great car. Have 75,XXX miles and the only thing we have replaced is brakes and tires. It gets great traction in the snow and ice. It is more comfortable and roomy in both the front and back seats compared to most if not all mid size SUV's out there and gets way better mileage (avg 29 MPG around town).

catalac

My wife drives a 2010 Outback limited and it has been a great car. Have 75,XXX miles and the only thing we have replaced is brakes and tires. It gets great traction in the snow and ice. It is more comfortable and roomy in both the front and back seats compared to most if not all mid size SUV's out there and gets way better mileage (avg 29 MPG around town).
Wow you guys drive the piss out of it dont you? You get your money's worth.

cobalt_502

subaru.jpg

There is always this to be concerned about?

My brother lives in Seattle and I would say about 70% of the cars out there are Subaru's! He actually has one and it is bullet proof!

garyl62

Looks like we're heading the Jeep Grand Cherokee route. Found some 97 and 98's with decent miles, rust free, inline 6, 4x4 but not always AWD, a they're a few hundred under the budget. Four to pick from all in town so now we'll just see who wants to sell one the most.

Thanks for the comments, just not sure I wanted to take the chance on one. I'm more comfortable working on something I know more about and the inline 6 is pretty sturdy so felt that was a better option right now.

garyl62

Well this couldn't have worked out better. Found a 2001 Grand Cherokee, 128k miles, same owner for the last 100k, the guy died and his wife wanted to move it out. She had 10 years of records, he did a lot work in the last 2 years, tie rods, battery, blower motor, radiator, ball joints, brakes, and who knows what else. Got $3,188 from the insurance company for the totaled Explorer Sport, got this for $2,800, will pay $170 in tax, title and license, need a key fob and have it programed for $75, need a set of floor mats and some foam to rebuild the drivers seat, and needs an oil change. By the time I add it all up I'll be within 20 bucks of my insurance payout and I'll have a car the exact same age, 30k less miles, in as good, or better condition than the car we lost.

Just one more thing to be thankful for this Christmas season.