Info on Polaris Dragon

whitehorse

Looking at the possibilty of purchasing a 2009 Polaris Dragon 600 Switchback.

Does anybody have any input ....good or bad about that model, year, engine...etc. I'm not up to speed on Polaris vs other brands.

Any input appreciated.

Thanks

oldguy

The 600 cc has a dependable engine. The mileage is not the greatest compared to an E-Tec. Handling is comparable to the other 2 strokers out there. Top end will be around 100 mph. I have heard hardly any issues with them along as you stick with the 600.

zimmbob

yep, agree. Although you won't see 100mph. Not with the switchback. They are geared down a tooth, and the longer track takes some power. You'll see 85, but that's more than you really need to go anyway. The suspension is incredible. Can't go wrong there. It's a great sled. Milage, as oldguy says, is not that great. But no worse than anything else out there other than the SkiDoos.

whitehorse

Thanks for the info.....What's a fair price in your opinion for one with 1000 miles on it?

Also...will it ride like a Ski Doo Renegade and the with rider forward seating?....That's one reason I'm leaning towards Ski Doo again ( rider foward seating) but I thought I would take a look at this Polaris?

Thanks Again

zimmbob

Depends on the shape it's in. Anywhere from $5,000 to $7,000 I'd guess. Look on KBB.com and check out the purchase price. It at least gives you a starting point. Check out ebay and craig's list to see what people are selling other ones for. Summer sales are always better for the buyer, since there is no imeadiate use, so you can get it a little cheaper. Fall will be more expensive, as more buyers are out there.

The IQ Chasis is a rider forward style, but not as dramatic as the Doo's have. It's between the old style sleds and the Doo. But you can change that a little with an articulating riser bar, and force yourself more forward or back. I think you'll find it a good setup, and ski preasure won't be a problem. The seats are tall, so you have a comfortable leg position while sitting, and you can actually slide back and stretch out if you want to. Not sure you can do that with the Doo's. I haven't ridden one long enough to try.

Good luck. Hope it works out for you. Regardless, any new sled is going to be great for you.

snodogg

Whitehorse, I have the same sled. Overall it's good machine. Mine gets 9-10 mpg and drinks oil too, although I have heard of some that are better on economy. Low to mid 90's on the top end. keep in mind this sled is built more for deep snow than blazing down a trail. Performance is similar to the ski doo and I have no complaints about that. Once I got the set up dialed in I really liked the ride and handling. You'll really like the extra's that come with the Dragon and you'll want the pump kit for the air shocks on the front if not already installed. Sitting wise it is similar to the renegades, and they say the polaris is easier to move around on if your taller. I haven't paid much attention to what there selling for but MSRP was close to 10K on that sled when new. I paid a lot less and bought mine as a new leftover last winter. Fair price around 7K would be my guess, if you could get it for low 6s I'd say youd be doing good, this time of year is a buyers market.