Inline trailer options - best for the $ ?

neldogmxz

I'm looking at purchasing a SMALL newer inline trailer and am looking at Legend's Thunder brand and Stealth trailers. I am downsizing from a 20' inline that I just sold as I now only have 1 sled after selling the wife's sled so I will be getting a 7' x 17' model. I know all about capped trailers, TC11's, ARC 12's etc. and am not interested in them whatsoever. I will be purchasing a 7' x 17' inline and would like some info on these trailers only please. If anybody can share some info on the 2 brands mentioned above or another brand easily accessible from Wisconsin it would be greatly appreciated. I need to purchase within the next week to 10 days so ordering is not an option. Thank you.

Last edited:

otter

Just bought a 7x29 Royal Cargo just north of Oshkosh from Y Pay More Trailer, gave me a very reasonable price and the quality seams to be pretty decent. Had others on the lot.

raco_guy

another brand to consider, although I don't know how accessible to WI is NEO trailers. I just extensively did a lot of research on both used and new inline trailers, all brands including Legend's Thunder, R&R, Haul-It (their knock-off), etc. I also researched extensively online for any negative feedback on all the trailer types. For the money, the NEO (formally Classic Trailers) seemed the best bang for the buck in terms of quality, etc. Some top quality items to consider (one piece roof design (no leakes), seemless side panels (no screw exterior), 3/4" advantix flooring with 15 or 20 yr warranty (better than marine grade plywood), all LED lighting, Stainless door hardware, spring assist ramps front and rear. The quality seemed to be the "extra" like silicone caulking any areas where road salt could get into any fittings, drip edges over all the doors, etc. I was able to pick up a brand new 29ft 4/5place with aluminum wheels, helmet box installed inside with coat hanger underneath, spare tire for less than what I was finding used ones 5+ years old. BTW, all the manufacturers pretty much use the same dexter axle/brake assembly, and get the tubular aluminum (same thickness) from the same manufacturers for the frame, so there really isn't that much difference in brands from the frame of the trailer vs. the fit and finish. Bottom line is I am very happy with my trailer, and anybody who has seen it agrees on the fine quality. I purchased mine from John's Trailers in Middleton Indiana (just soutth of I-94). Check them out http://www.johnstrailersales.com/ They are made in Sturgis, MI and they have sites in Indiana and Ohio, but probably have dealers throughout the MidWest. Good luck.

salmonbum

I have a NEO. 1st tow the diamond plate stone guard blew off. When they installed they missed studs from factory, so only the .030" siding was holding it on. When it pulled off it tore up aluminum siding. I called factory the following day to drove it 4 hrs down since they said they would take care of it. There soultion was throw on a new stone guard, But that only covered up thier F up. I could still see the tore up parts from inside trailer. The manager handled this very poorly. I told him how I wanted the problem resolved, which he said he would do before I drove the distance. When I got there it was close to 2:30, or quiting time and he didnt want to deal with it. 8 hrs of my time and fuel? I coulda made a better stone guard and fixed myself for under $50.

Also when I took delivery the top cover on jack was missing. It took 6 months for them to finally send me one.

My other buddy bought one and within a few 1000 miles his tires were worn on inside so bad he blew on in da UP.

Just my experience with NEO. My next one will be a Lightning.

raco_guy

salmonbum-

good to know, I am new to the inline trailer market (normally I just kept my sleds stored at my UP cottage), but I have been bit by the Western Rockie's bug and have been out west the past two years. I have not owned my NEO long enough to make any statements regarding it's longevity, but for the money, it seemed like the most trailer for the money with the nicest finishing touches. Maybe that won't make up for any problems I may have down the road. Thanks for the info though.

Cat600

I picked up my stealth 7x17 from Trailers Midwest in Elkhart, IN about a months ago. pulled great for the 250 miles back, no issues what so ever. And they worked with me to get more options and lower pricing. A pleasant experience. And only a 2 and a half week built time, which was better than the 4 they told me.

There is a stealth dealer in Wisconsin Rapids, WI. But after 4 times of calling them and they never returned my calls, I went to Trailers Midwest.

Last edited:

salmonbum

salmonbum-

good to know, I am new to the inline trailer market (normally I just kept my sleds stored at my UP cottage), but I have been bit by the Western Rockie's bug and have been out west the past two years. I have not owned my NEO long enough to make any statements regarding it's longevity, but for the money, it seemed like the most trailer for the money with the nicest finishing touches. Maybe that won't make up for any problems I may have down the road. Thanks for the info though.

Other than my issues, the trailer itself seems OK for the money. Problem is that the small issues I had were not handled very well by NEO, which has me scared what happens if a Larger problem occurs. The other trailers I looked at were Thunder and Lightning. Thunder is made by Legend. Probelm there I kept getting the runaround by Becks. They told me they didn't have any Thunders built for me to look at before I custom ordered one, but they were happy to sell me a $10,000 Legend. Kinda like the old Car salesman advertising cheap new cars ..."Oh, that one in the ad is sold, But weh have the next model up". Then one afternoon when I was in the area, I pulled in and guess what was in the lot??.... A Thunder trailer.

Lightning is made by Rance, which is a pretty good name. I almost (and should have) went with this one. It did not come with the advantec floor and a few other things, but they were options. Reason I went with NEO is the Classic trailers they use to build are really good.

Either way, I was looking for a price point trailer to move my sleds. I didn't want to spend $10k on something I take out on the roads in the worst conditions possible, and let me friends ride thier sleds up in it and bounce them off the walls. I'm not living in the thing, just moving sleds. I also wanted spring axles. NO Torsion for me. Yeah, I know they ride better, but I'm not riding in the trailer, I'm in the truck. I have had a torsion axle blow a bearing and take out the shaft in the middle of BFE before. Try fiding a torsion axle out in the middle of nowhere. You can buy just about any parts you need for a spring axle at TSC or Farm and Fleet.

I have been riding out west for a few yrs now. I'm fortuante enough where I have friends that live in Steamboat Springs. One of them had a buttload of extra sleds to ride the last few yrs, M1000's turbo M8's, etc... but they have been sold. I just bought a New Summit to leave out there. Flight out there is $300. I get off the plane and Truck is there with a trailer full of sleds ready to head to Buff Pass. My gear is in the trailer too :). For me to load up my sleds and Drive 7-10 hrs to the would costs close to $300 in fuel alone. Pretty easy decision for me how to spend $300

heckler56

Call Big O's in Portage. They carry Legend brands and were a great help when I bought mine a couple years ago. Got a good deal and made the drive worth it.

ggsled

trailer 3.jpg traler.jpg trailer 2.jpg traler 1.jpg Purchase my R&R from R & P Carriages in Senica,IL. Paul was great to work with. S/S door hardware, all L.E.D lighting, Added 6" additional height, upgraded wheels, Step, Load lights, Back-up lights in the rear and on the sides
in the rear. Turned out really good. 7' * 18' on the straight then a 5' "V".