Interesting story on world record attempt

xsledder

So far there has been two endurance records broken this week all on Cats. You can say how outdated you think the Procross chassis is, but that chassis is still winning races and breaking records. Congrates to Willie, Rudi, and Sam for breaking records this week.

G

G

87.6666 miles per hour average if he used all 24 hours. He was very well supported. He had a nearly full moon at night. He even had God on his side. It will take a tremendous effort to beat his new record. But if someone tries it will probably be done on LOW which is perfect for such an event. Also if someone tries it will be on some version of a Yamacat or Cataha. But 87.666 for 24 hours is a very very high bar.

Last edited by a moderator:

skiroule

Yeah Gary, remarkably nice people. Everyone I talked to that was involved in the event thanked me for coming out to watch

The time/distance people at the event initially gave me the total distance as 2120 but I see the website lists it as 2104, which may be the number that goes in the record books. At 2104, Grub's number of 87.6666 mph average is dead on. In either case, figuring in time for turnarounds and pit stops, he had to be doing close to 100 or more for much of the 24 hrs. As Grub said, the record may be broken some day but it's really a high bar for a single rider and a single sled.

The track held up really well, Guess he told the crew it was the best track he'd ever been on. They were able to groom an existing "bomber" tracked vehicle trail that was used to shuttle people and supplies to the Sportsman's Lodge fish houses all winter so the base was really solid. Even at that they still made a few groomer passes during the run.

This was the groomer setup they used.
IMG_1452_1.jpg

BigSix

Thanks Kelly, Gary and all who provided info above on this record. A tremendous achievement for the team and especially the rider.

Not that it can compare, but I completed an Iron Butt ride in 2005 on my Goldwing doing 1,066 miles in about 20 hours going around Lake Michigan from Green Bay to Green Bay. The biggest issue is fatigue and we also had to stay within a reasonable margin of the posted speed limit. . I spent about 6 weeks preparing for that ride, with diet and getting off of caffeine.

garageguy

I drove my sled from Sheboygan wi. To copper harbor in 13 hours with no preparations no support team stopped for gas lunch and beer and drove the last 100 mi. In a snow storm. Back and forth wide open on a closed course..not impressed

snowfish

Do we know why they chose to change the primary clutch & belt at one of the pit stops?
Great job Willie! Great cause too.

garageguy

They probably needed heavier weights to get the rpm. down, so it wouldn't suck so much gas. On a flat hard track you don't need an optimal clutching set up to achieve high speeds.

hybrid

They probably needed heavier weights to get the rpm. down, so it wouldn't suck so much gas. On a flat hard track you don't need an optimal clutching set up to achieve high speeds.
it would be very interesting to know what kind fuel he used and how much
looked like a they had a 250 -300 gallon tank