Interpreting the Max Temp and Winds Map

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I am not sure if you are the only one, LOL. But the color shading is a representation of the forecasted high temps for the day, the key is at the top of each map. The numbers are the exact high temps expected for that location.
The flags represent the general wind direction for the day, keep in mind that wind direction can change as the day goes on, especially when a front or low is moving through. The way to read the wind flags is that they extend in the direction they are coming from. So a flag pointed at 6 o'clock would represent winds from the south. A long tick on the end of the flag = 10 mph, a short one = 5. So 1 long, one short = 15 mph. Two long = 20 mph, etc.

-John

dofo1

John, I must not be to smart (which my wife keeps telling me) but I still don't get it, for example what does today's map show for Chicago?

dofo1

John, the map I see for today looks like it shows 60 for Chicago which makes no sense as it is snowing at a good clip now. Can you figure out what am I doing wrong?

jd

Administrator
Staff member
It sounds like you browser or app is loading an image that is old and stored in it's memory. If you are on a computer, then hit and hold the shift key and click on the 'reload" button on your browser. That will cause the freshest content to appear. It may take you back to the main page, but when you go to the temp maps, it should be refreshed. I do not know how to do this on a phone.

-John

dofo1

John, I guess I can interpret your map just fine (don't feel so dumb after all) , I just needed the current map. for some reason Chrome would not pull up the latest version of your map , it pulls up the latest forecasts but not the map, I had already cleared my cache and history but that didn't help.

Forcing a reload worked, on a Window 8 tablet you need to hit Ctrl F5 which took a internet search to find out how to get to my function keys but all is good now. Thanks