IOWA RIDERS - Need Advice for NW IA

600_RMK_144

Sounds like the NW part of the state is getting the brunt of the storm. I've never ridden NW IA, but wanting to get out with the boy this w/e. Need advice on where to unload, trails to ride, etc. I'm thinking Okoboji Area, but open to wherever. Any advice on the general region would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

BARNESMFG

Just returned from a weekend at Okoboji. The only place to ride except on the Lake is the highway ditches. Highway #9. They are groomed on occasion,

The ice on the Lake this year is Marginal. You can park and unload at the State Boat ramps. Michigan is better.

Not sure where your driving from but if you come east to Winnebago, Worth,, or Mitchell county there are nice trails not all road ditch. Buy a Minnesota pass ride up in Freeborn and everything east is awesome. Over by Cresco, Howard county, is like Wisconsin.

jedoyle

Is there any place in northern IA that is worth riding this Saturday? I see where Mason City/Clear Lake got 6 - 8" of snow but I am guessing they lost their base from the previous warm-up.

600_RMK_144

Thanks for the advice. Certainly don't want to do ditches with the kid. I've ridden Cresco area before and (for IA) the trails were really great. Just wasn't sure if they had enough snow in that area to keep the long track cool.

IOWASLEDDER

I've been looking around also. I think I'm gonna head north towards Viroqua/Westby, Wisconsin area this Saturday. About an hour or so south of Black River Falls. Have a buddy living in the area and said conditions are good. I see Black River Falls updated their trails to good condition also.

Eggers

Go to www.iowasnowmobiler.com all kinds of clubs and trails to ride. Floyd County Groomers are grooming along with other clubs in the area. Just north of Waterloo should be decent also and all cross country riding. Rode Floyd county two weeks ago and its all cross country trails. Search facebook on some of them clubs as they update there trail conditions on there.

T- BONE

I've been looking around also. I think I'm gonna head north towards Viroqua/Westby, Wisconsin area this Saturday. About an hour or so south of Black River Falls. Have a buddy living in the area and said conditions are good. I see Black River Falls updated their trails to good condition also.
I called up to Clayton Co. this afternoon and they're grooming! No sense in driving up to Black river when you can unload in Elkader and head northwest for some pretty decent riding. Its good country up there, I'd give it a shot for sure!

catalac

Cousins live in Cresco, was there two weeks ago and it was good, now after the snow they got, it should be great. I bet they have 10 to 12 inches and a brand new groomer. Its only 2.5 hours from you. Its worth it.

jedoyle

Hey Catalac, if you happen to talk to your cousin can you ask him about the Cresco area & post on here the condition. I know you said 2 weeks ago it was good but wow we had some warm temps since then so I figured the ground was pretty bare before this last storm. Or if anyone else has conditions for Northern IA that would be great. Thanks. Jim

600_RMK_144

Loading up fri night and heading out with the boy Sat morning. Still looking at options, so if you hear any current reports for Cresco area, please post. Sounds like Boji is out, may look into Clayton Co which was also suggested. Thanks again!

IOWASLEDDER

Cousins live in Cresco, was there two weeks ago and it was good, now after the snow they got, it should be great. I bet they have 10 to 12 inches and a brand new groomer. Its only 2.5 hours from you. Its worth it.
Oh totally agree!! My buddy wants to head to Westby, Wisconsin--Vernon County--we rode there couple years ago and it is awesome and very scenic riding. I guess the ski jump is this weekend also in Westby. That is cool to see!!

Eggers

Cresco is groomed and being groomed again. Seen pictures this morning on Driftrunners facebook page and trails are two groomers wide and flat!!

catalac

Cresco is groomed and being groomed again. Seen pictures this morning on Driftrunners facebook page and trails are two groomers wide and flat!!

Yep, they are grooming and he said its flat and plenty of snow. I think im going up tomorrow.

justride

Mitchell county has a good base and plenty of snow and the groomer has been out making the trails smooth. Next Saturday, the 13th, is the Mitchell county E-Z riders club poker/fun run. Information on it can be found on their website or facebook page.

catalac

Mitchell county has a good base and plenty of snow and the groomer has been out making the trails smooth. Next Saturday, the 13th, is the Mitchell county E-Z riders club poker/fun run. Information on it can be found on their website or facebook page.

Is that around Osage area? We rode over that way but turned around over by Elma. We had pretty good trails the whole day.

justride

Mitchell county consists of the towns Osage, Riceville, Mcintire, Stacyville, StAnsgar,Mitchell, and Carpenter. The trails hook up with all the surrounding counties as well like Floyd, which I saw their groomer out today and Howard county, Worth county.they also connect up to Lyle Minnesota.

600_RMK_144

So I tell the boy last night that we will probably ride the same area as last time (Cresco). He proceeds to tell me that we need to go somewhere else cuz he's already seen everything on those trails. Guess we might try Mitchell Co instead. If you know a good town/ place to unload from for easy trail access, please let me know. Thanks!

justride

On the east side of Osage is where the trail runs. There is a plaza by the john deere implement which has plenty of parking, just park towards the road away from the stores and you'll be fine. The trail runs north and south in the ditch east of john deere. If you need a trail map go to the osage motel just a little more east, and go into lounge and they have them there. Have fun and enjoy the trails.

justride

Mitchell county didn't get the whole trail system groomed for this weekend. The area that has is Osage to Floyd county, Osage to Stacyville, stacyville to StAnsgar, StAnsgar to Osage, osage to Riceville, and Stacyville to Mcintire.